Sponsored

Prices are on the rise......

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT350, GT350R HEP, GT500 HE CFTP, 23 Raptor R
Again, the HEPR isn't just a new paint job. It's a special package and the final edition of the GT350R. Not sure how or why this narrative got started with the HEPR's not being as rare as certain color spec, therefore they shouldn't be that valuable. They're not comparable because the HEPR is in a entirely different group, such as a 2015 R or a Base R.
Haters gonna Hate.

Sadly a lot of car guys can’t just be happy with what they have WHILE being happy for other car guys and what they have.

If inflation continues, they will continue. I used to have a 66 Shelby GT350. The Window sticker was $2.800. They now sell for 150-200K. Inflation does things….
Sponsored

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really wish i still had my 66 GT350….

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Again, the HEPR isn't just a new paint job. It's a special package and the final edition of the GT350R. Not sure how or why this narrative got started with the HEPR's not being as rare as certain color spec, therefore they shouldn't be that valuable. They're not comparable because the HEPR is in a entirely different group, such as a 2015 R or a Base R.
I'm not afraid to politely admit that I'm in the camp that thinks it doesn't 100% add up. I feel like part of collectibility is rarity..in fact I think it's 90% rarity. 2015 is it's own thing and limited production - base model is also very limited production. HEPR - it's a unique package but I wish they would have made less of them. 280 is a lot when in the company of 2015s and base models. Opinions are like belly buttons, though.so..... Plenty happy for anyone who obtained one - just bench racing.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
I'm not afraid to politely admit that I'm in the camp that thinks it doesn't 100% add up. I feel like part of collectibility is rarity..in fact I think it's 90% rarity. 2015 is it's own thing and limited production - base model is also very limited production. HEPR - it's a unique package but I wish they would have made less of them. 280 is a lot when in the company of 2015s and base models. Opinions are like belly buttons, though.so..... Plenty happy for anyone who obtained one - just bench racing.
I would have also liked to see the number of cars more limited. However, if you really think about it.... 280 cars out of around 3600 GT350R's built... Is that not rare?

2005 Ford GT Heritage - 343 built
Lambo SVJ - 900
SVJ Roadster - 800
2016/17 Viper ACR - 483
Porsche 918 Weissach - Around 230

A 918 W just sold recently on BaT for 1.975 million dollars. A regular 918 sold a few months ago with similar miles for about 400k less. Do you think a regular 918 should be more valuable than a Weissach car because the color is more rare?

These are just a few examples off the top of my head. They are all different versions/packages of the standard car. There are plenty more out there. But these are all commanding premiums over the standard models. Hell they made 499 LaFerraris and 375 McLaren P1's. So you just have to keep the numbers in perspective.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think the argument of rarity depends on your point of view. Take any color combination and stack it up against the 3600 or so Built and they then all seem to be rare.... of which they are. Base Rs are the rarest of them all, but so far that doesn't mean anything (at least for now). Again, I point to the hype factor. That is what seems to draw so many to the HEPs.

Sponsored

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
A 918 W just sold recently on BaT for 1.975 million dollars. A regular 918 sold a few months ago with similar miles for about 400k less. Do you think a regular 918 should be more valuable than a Weissach car because the color is more rare?
The Weissach package is an actual performance package, i.e. weight reduction, like a Base R vs Electronic/Tech package R, not some paint color lol.

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
$103,950 final. I thought it would hit 110k... was a pretty uneventful final 2 min, but still a good result overall.
Thought it would hit +$120k, with that LFG hitting $125k, although LFG is a rarer color.

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
The Weissach package is an actual performance package, i.e. weight reduction, like a Base R vs Electronic/Tech package R, not some paint color lol.
I get that, which makes them ever more special than a package that's only cosmetic, such as the Ford GT Heritage and HEPR. The point is that these packages (this includes only cosmetic changes) place these cars into different groups that are separated from traditional color specs. If the HEPR had weight reduction and other performance modifications then I suggest that they would command even higher premiums than they are currently.

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Heritage was the most significant package ever made for modern Shelby’s because you have to understand the significance of this “Color Package.” Every single Shelby Mustang in year 1, 1965, was painted Wimbledon White. You couldn’t get a Shelby Mustang in a different Color in year 1. The highest performance Shelby of the 60’s, the GT500 Supersnake, which was a 1 off car, was also painted Wimbledon White. I used to own the first Shelby Hertz car that was a non-prototype car, Serial Number 6S440. It was also painted Wimbledon White. This is the most significant color from a Shelby Heritage perspective than any other.

Since Ford reintroduced the Shelby Mustang in 2007, they have not offered the Original Color on any modern Shelby.

This is why the 2020 GT350 and R Heritage Package is so significant. The Brittney Blue GT500’s are one of the colors that the 67 GT500 was available in, but it wasn’t the only color. Considering the most expensive and high performance Shelby of 1967 was not painted Brittney Blue, I don’t get how that color is locked in as the one selected as the Heritage Color for the GT500.

If you weren’t aware exactly how special this package was from a historical perspective, hopefully this will help you to understand why it commands such a high premium. When I first found out this package was available, I knew it was the one modern Shelby I wanted more than any other. I love the new GT500’s, but they will not connect the same was as this car did to me.

When I first sat behind the wheel of mine and drove the car, it was an emotional experience for me. I HATED selling my 66. I really hope I can get it back one day, but when I started driving this car and saw the shape of the fender from inside the car and the color of the paint and Guardsman Blue Stripe, I felt for a moment all of these connections that brought me back to my 66. I didn’t cry, but man it choked me up. I didn’t expect that. When I bought the 66 from the previous owner, that had it for over 40 years, I expected to own it for the same amount of time. When times got tough and I had to let it go to keep some of my workers paid, I felt like I failed the previous owner. That’s why I asked the guy that I sold it to to give me first dibs if he ever sold it. He promised me he would, but then he flipped the car. I asked him who he sold it to and he said, I can’t remember, some guy in Monterey, California. When he told me that, I felt angry and betrayed.

There are people with deep connections to these cars. To the History of these cars. A bright green or Orange GT350/R may look awesome, but it won’t click those senses.

This is why the 2020 Shelby GT350 and R’s are the end of an icon. The end of an era. It all started with the GT350 and R’s of 65. Bill Ford and Co did right for the GT350, and Shelby. Anyone that has one of these should be proud. Very Proud. They own a piece of something bigger than a simple color option. They own an incredible homage to history….

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didn’t pay extra for a Base R like the Porsche guys pay for Weissach. The GT350R is the weight reduction version of the GT350, and the higher priced version. If you have a Base R, you just paid less for less options. Weissach cars start stripped, but owners can, and often do, add options that increase weight for comfort. Your argument lacks the support of facts lol.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get that, which makes them ever more special than a package that's only cosmetic, such as the Ford GT Heritage and HEPR. The point is that these packages (this includes only cosmetic changes) place these cars into different groups that are separated from traditional color specs. If the HEPR had weight reduction and other performance modifications then I suggest that they would command even higher premiums than they are currently.
How do you people not understand that the GT350R IS THE WEIGHT REDUCTION PACKAGE? It is literally a GT350 with a ton of lightweight and aero bits that increase performance on a track.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills when I read what you guys are posting. I don’t feel like it’s rocket science to understand this. The R is the limited edition, weight reduced, higher performance GT350. It’s not a GT500, which is the one with “other performance modifications.”

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
i think the accepted entry approach is sideways with the ars
I have always said this as well. Although it looks more and more like there will never be anything like the voodoo again. I am sure Ford will make some coyote based track car that will probably be quicker than the R, hell the Mach 1 is already close. But will the next track car have the character of the 350? I still feel pretty confident that the 350 has enough going for it that it will stand the test of time. It will always be sought after.

Then there is the aesthetics of the S650. I think the GT350 is the best looking S550.

If the S650 is ugly, and no ”special” manual track car is released, look out because the values of the 350 will climb even more.
Of course there will be special S650 Track cars. Like a Boss and even another round of Shelby.

RJ787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R [LR215]
You didn’t pay extra for a Base R like the Porsche guys pay for Weissach. The GT350R is the weight reduction version of the GT350, and the higher priced version. If you have a Base R, you just paid less for less options. Weissach cars start stripped, but owners can, and often do, add options that increase weight for comfort. Your argument lacks the support of facts lol.
Lol what? But as you said, we pay extra for an R (less weight) vs a GT350 right? And my argument lacks the support of facts lol? I hope the paint comment didn't trigger you.

Sdsaathoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol what? But as you said, we pay extra for an R (less weight) vs a GT350 right? And my argument lacks the support of facts lol? I hope the paint comment didn't trigger you.
OK. Let me slow this down for you little buddy.

You said this:

“The Weissach package is an actual performance package, i.e. weight reduction, like a Base R vs Electronic/Tech package R, not some paint color lol.”

In your comment, you are comparing a “Base R” to an “Electronic/Tech Package R.” You also correlate a “Base R” as being a Performance Package R akin to the Weissach Package. None of those statements are factual.

If you are comparing GT350 to Porsche, then this is the correlation:

GT350 to 918
GT350R to 918 Weissach
GT350R with options to 918 Weissach with options

Base model GT350R’s and GT350R’s with options are still GT350R’s. The original GT350R’s had the same drivetrain as the original GT350. The Heritage Package is not just a color package as you dismiss it to be. It’s a homage to a storied history that changed the automotive world. If you don’t understand that, then you’ll always wonder why a more “rare” Base R never sells for more than a Heritage Car.

collectible value is based on demand for that product. If only 10 of one color was produced, it’s probably because not very many people want it.

Ferrari’s limited edition cars are typically produced in quantities that end in x99. Ferrari used to say this is because they do the market research and figure out how many people want their car and build one less so there’s always a demand. Demand drives price more so than rarity.

Mr. Maboomba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2019 X5 50i, 2019 Ram 2500
The HEP included Wimbledon White paint, Guardsman Blue side and over-the-top racing stripes, all black seats with red stitching and some badges. There is nothing of performance substance, nothing that took engineering effort or increased materials cost. That is my issue with it.

I appreciate the throwback/heritage element. For me that’s not worth much of anything but I understand for others who were around when the original Shelbys were being made that it is special. I am just saying that I’m surprised that drives a 70% premium in the value of the car. $100K vs. $170K is a huge delta. The HEP only cost $2K originally!

I think what this all gets to is that there are some people who own this car and are in this community for the heritage and history of the Mustang line and Shelby models; there are others (like me) who are just here because the car is a great performer. That’s one of the special things about this car - it has attracted enthusiasts from so many backgrounds, including people who mostly drove European cars, like myself.
Sponsored