Preserving Settings With Battery Disconnected

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Apologies if this has been brought up before, but a search showed no relevant threads.

I'm going to need a battery swap in the near future and I'd like to preserve all my settings. Can I just jump a 12V in parallel with the cabling while I R&R the battery? Someone mentioned Mustangs have a 'battery monitor;'what does this do, besides just monitor voltage (I have a battery tester that checks charge level, internal resistance, etc--I can't imagine the car doing this)? Anyone see an issue?
Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
When i disconnected battery to fit my strut tower bar i was surprised to find that i didn't lose any settings.

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My theory: If you have a battery tender, plug it into the wall and hook it up to the connections, remove your battery, then put in the new one, then remove the battery tender.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bms-reset-no-tools-required.151602/

While installing tender connections last year, I had the battery disconnected for about an hour. I don't remember any settings being lost. 🤔YMMV.

In the interest of safety (yours and the cars) I would not attempt to connect any power sources to the battery cables or the car while the swap is occurring. :idea:

After completing the replacement, within about a minute, several relays, pumps and sensors will being charging back up. It will be whisper quiet, then, "clack-clack-clack!, pthfspt!, guga-guga-guga!" :giggle:You get the idea.

Late model Fords do have a Battery Management System (BMS). Age of the installed battery is one factor in determining how the charging and electrical systems will act.

After replacing a battery, the BMS will need to be reset. It's akin to resetting the Oil Life Monitor after performing an oil change. The process is simple. The link above provides the steps.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...-is-the-ford-f-150-battery-management-system/

https://fordauthority.com/2022/11/ford-battery-monitoring-system-explained-in-depth-by-technician/

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Thanks for the info (so far) guys. The reference links all refer to F-150 systems, but I think our 'Stangs are a bit different. One, the 'no tools' link, mentions a battery light, but my Bullitt doesn't have a 'battery light' that I know of, IIRC there is a voltmeter 'gauge' somewhere, but it's buried in the gauge cluster that I usually don't have displayed (I run modified 'Sport' mode; mainly tach and speedometer and mileage). Anyone have a link to Mustang-specific procedures? I do have FORScan, but haven't mastered changing any settings (user tips gladly accepted and appreciated).

I asked because I have SiriusXM and have a few pre-sets, which I presume will be lost. Also, I have a 2000 Lincoln LS--inherited and, yes, I know it's a Jag under the skin--that usually sails through its biennial smog check UNLESS I've disconnected the battery prior to the check. The smog check for this car and, presumably all its contemporaries, mainly consists of a quick visual inspection and reading the OBDII. It turns out it monitors its emissions system and needs up to 100 miles after loss of electrical power to re-learn the cats' performance (this can be inconvenient at smog time if I forget).

Thanks for the heads-up on not 'jumping' during the swap; not worth the risk for sure.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Lose what settings? Some Sirius channels?

Good Christ, just write them down.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Lose what settings? Some Sirius channels?

Good Christ, just write them down.
Sure. But I wasn't aware of the need to reset the BMS--apparently, you aren't either (or you just have a compelling need to throw snark)--and would like to do that properly. Plus, I'm learning something new here (try it sometime).

Since you didn't read past 'SiriusXM' you got any great advice on how I can write down all the emissions control data and re-input it into the system after the battery swap (it's a safe bet Mustangs use a similar protocol)?

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Interesting that newer cars dont utilize a solid state drive/flash drive to save settings. Or do they?

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Sure. But I wasn't aware of the need to reset the BMS--apparently, you aren't either (or you just have a compelling need to throw snark)--and would like to do that properly. Plus, I'm learning something new here (try it sometime).

Since you didn't read past 'SiriusXM' you got any great advice on how I can write down all the emissions control data and re-input it into the system after the battery swap (it's a safe bet Mustangs use a similar protocol)?
There is absolutely no need to do anything about your emissions. You just drive the car, and it will all be fine. Nothing bad is going to happen to your precious-precious.

BMS is also a nothing burger.

OP
OP
Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
There is absolutely no need to do anything about your emissions. You just drive the car, and it will all be fine. Nothing bad is going to happen to your precious-precious.

BMS is also a nothing burger.
Fair enough. Looking into this--in some other threads I've come across--it may be sufficient to swap batteries and let the car sit, locked-up, for at least 8 hours.

Yes, I am concerned for My Precious' electronic circuitry; 35+years in the computer business taught me how sensitive this stuff is, and what a PITA it can be when even just a single transistor gets fried (CMOS is particularly sensitive, and I think most circuitry is CMOS these days). I had the issue where all the nannies would go TU, usually after the car had to sit in the sun for a few hours (there was a TSB; I think/hope it got fixed). It sounds trite, but when your usual drive mode isn't available and you have to click through all the alerts and drive for 10-15 miles in a degraded drive mode to recover it's more than just a nuisance. Plus, this is likely the last ICE car I'll buy and I'm not driving it a lot, usually highway miles only (only 20K miles since Dec. 2018).

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Fair enough. Looking into this--in some other threads I've come across--it may be sufficient to swap batteries and let the car sit, locked-up, for at least 8 hours.

Yes, I am concerned for My Precious' electronic circuitry;
People change batteries alllll the time. They get it done at AutoZone by pimple faced adolescents, while on their lunch-break. It's not going to hurt anything, and other than maybe needing to reset some radio presets, nothing bad is going to happen.

There is no need to let the car sit for 8 hours, or do anything. Stop fussing like a teenage girl, there's nothing to worry about.

I had the issue where all the nannies would go TU, usually after the car had to sit in the sun for a few hours (there was a TSB; I think/hope it got fixed). It sounds trite, but when your usual drive mode isn't available and you have to click through all the alerts and drive for 10-15 miles in a degraded drive mode to recover it's more than just a nuisance.
With your current Bullit Mustang? You previously changed the battery and all the nannies went TU? And the car had to "to sit in the sun for a few hours" to fix it? And you think there was a TSB that got fixed???

Yes, having to scroll to a drive mode is nothing but a nuisance.

Plus, this is likely the last ICE car I'll buy and I'm not driving it a lot, usually highway miles only (only 20K miles since Dec. 2018).
I don't see how this is germane to the topic.
Sponsored