Sponsored

Power Pack 2 Hot air intake

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I installed PP2. Positives were discussed N times, here's my negatives. GT350 intake in GT is afterthought for sure. It needed better adaptation.

- sucks hot air really quickly while staying in traffic. Really quickly, you can really see temp climbing up.

- I do not buy it when people say water is not getting in there. It is.
I got in a garage after rain, popped the hood and could feel moisture.
Hood extractor pours water in front of the filter right where incoming air comes.
Incoming air will blow it towards the filter.

- Underhood became noisier and not in a good way. I was surprised as I expected
engine sound to become better, but instead got more "huuummmm" aroung 2000 rpms.

I know there are posts at this forum where people essentially made hermetic
plastic cover on top of the intake. That is probably the best solution.
I have emission inspaction in my state that would essentially cancel carb advantage
if they see any modifications.

So I had to come up with solution that can be easily removed and return
intake back to oem look for smog check.

So I bought this puffy pipe thermal isolation hose from home depot and
it takes literally seconds to cut it to appropriate length and put on top/around
of the intake rubber thus extending its height increase and beter isolation.

This improved things somehow, but not much. Next day I opened the hood and
saw hood's imprint on the hose. It was telling me that there's still very
little contact with hood. Noise was also at the same level.

I removed hood liner previously and luckily still had it in garage. Bare GT hood
will not give you any good cover as you see at pictures.

I returned the hood liner back and it was much better - sound pretty much went
back to comfortable level. Temp difference outside air/intake air came back to
pre power pack installation level while driving. In traffic temperature is better,
but I wish it was even better.

So I solved unpleasant sound and extra heat, but needed a solution for water.

I basically inserted a self-made tray in between hood liner and head extractor.
It blocks air from being sucked from heat extractor into air intake. When water
gets into heat extractor it gets into tray and diverts outside air intake. I think I
will replace the tray with some sticky heat insulator.

This last solution lets heat extractor work as heat extractor, also diverts water
from air intake.

I will probably make some improvements to the system, but as a proof of concept
it worked. Of course I realize that part of my initial trouble was the fact that
I removed hood liner.

Without hood liner only sharp hood element leave imprint on the rubber
20191212_074935.jpg

Final look
20191212_154025.jpg

Hood surface without the liner is not good for pp2/3
20191212_075003.jpg

Hood liner installed back. Here you can see a tray that I installed between hood lined and the hood. It blocks regular air path into the filter and instead diverts it towards front of the hood.
20191212_150855.jpg

Hose from home depot.

20191212_162246.jpg

View from top - previously I'd see air intake internals here, but now it is air/water diverting plate
20191212_154259.jpg

Imprint hood without a liner leaver on rubber. Bottom right you can see two sharp edged of heat extractor and one of its screws.
20191212_074935.jpg

20191212_154025.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Get a Outerwears pre-filter for water. Works like a charm for rain storms, car washers.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Good to see that you were able to overcome these issues, but IMO you're wayyy overthinking this.

The increase of IATs while idle and/or sitting in traffic is basically moot...unless you plan on racing through traffic. The temps should cool down very fast once you get going if you installed the snorkel correctly. Better yet, open up the grill where the snorkel goes to the front of the car and you will see much better IATs. Also the water in the intake is nothing to worry about. Unless you see an inch of standing water at the bottom of the intake box, some moisture after a drive in the rain is not going to hurt anything. I've been driving my car daily for the past 2+ years since I've had this intake, in both torrential rains and snow storms and never had an issue.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Get a Outerwears pre-filter for water. Works like a charm for rain storms, car washers.
I know of this option, but wanted something a little more permanent.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Good to see that you were able to overcome these issues, but IMO you're wayyy overthinking this.

The increase of IATs while idle and/or sitting in traffic is basically moot...unless you plan on racing through traffic. The temps should cool down very fast once you get going if you installed the snorkel correctly. Better yet, open up the grill where the snorkel goes to the front of the car and you will see much better IATs. Also the water in the intake is nothing to worry about. Unless you see an inch of standing water at the bottom of the intake box, some moisture after a drive in the rain is not going to hurt anything. I've been driving my car daily for the past 2+ years since I've had this intake, in both torrential rains and snow storms and never had an issue.
Still, there must be reason why the whole CAI thing is in place in both - oem and aftermarket. If it was not important then why bother getting air from fron grille? Could've just got it from inside engine bay like in good old days :)

Sponsored

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the K&N prefilter. never had an issue with water. i've driven in some pretty bad thunderstorms. As far as IAT's, i'm not too worried about it.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I have the K&N prefilter. never had an issue with water. i've driven in some pretty bad thunderstorms. As far as IAT's, i'm not too worried about it.
Cost of of prefilter last time I checked was $32. And it says it is good for 2yrs.

Cost of the hose at the picture was $5.75.

I also bought $11 sheet of heat/sound insulator that I attached to the top. Will post a picture.

This way I have a closed system that works almost like it would under shelby hood.

Now - I noticed I have infamous pinging even with octane adjust on. If it does not go away I'll go back to stock :(

Last edited:

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Cost of of prefilter last time I checked $32. And it says it is dood for 2yrs.

Cost of the hoee at yhe picture was $5.75.

I also bought $11 sheet of heat/sound insulator that I attachet to the top. Will post a picture.

This way I have a closed system that works almost like it would under shelby hood.

Now - I noticed I have infamous pinging even with octane adjust on. If it does not go awzy I'l go back to stock :(
I always noticed some slight ping when loading the PP2 tune or when the battery was disconnected. It seemed like it would learn within a few hundred miles because I never noticed it again.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I always noticed some slight ping when loading the PP2 tune or when the battery was disconnected. It seemed like it would learn within a few hundred miles because I never noticed it again.
Thanks, I'll wait and see.

Below is the picture of "the lid"
20191213_174232.jpg

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I like the idea of diverting the water away from the filter area. I may do that to mine.

Sponsored

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
A clear piece of Lexan, a 2'x2' piece of cardboard, a Sharpie marker, and a cheap hand-held jig saw along with 20 minutes of your time could have solved your issue.

20180508-181641.jpg

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
A clear piece of Lexan, a 2'x2' piece of cardboard, a Sharpie marker, and a cheap hand-held jig saw along with 20 minutes of your time could have solved your issue.

20180508-181641.jpg
you removed kit's piece that is in between intake and fender.

Have you seen lexan solutions from very long power pack threads?

p.s. my solution is not for looks - i pull it out if I go to a smog check and have the kit in its original shape or snap it back on top for dd driving.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

20180508-181641.jpg
tbh - I had something like your solution in mind. but then didn't find lexan in hd, did not know how to properly "close" it in the area of insert next to the fender, and then I stumbled upon the hose.

But here's what can be done:

a) put the insert back
b) cut lexan so that covers internal area of the intake. This will leave a lot to be desired around the insert, but
c) that area can be covered with a span of hose with length of the insert?

issue to resolve:

water from heat extractor will collect there like in the lake. Some drainage needs to be added.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Cool solution. And if you get hungry, it makes Jiffy Pop!
Given you have all the materials -
a hose, sticky heat insulator and some duck tape, the whole solution can be assembled in minutes at hd parking lot with help of scissors.

heat extractor water diverter is not needed, but you'll get your heat extractor blocked.

Still, I removed my diverter fir simpler solution's sake.
Sponsored