Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
you removed kit's piece that is in between intake and fender...
NO

My CAI is directly from a used GT350 and not part of the Power Pack 2 kit. They are different in that regard. But I did close off that small opening with a small piece of pipe insulation not unlike the stuff you used.

...water from heat extractor will collect there like in the lake.
No, it doesn't.
Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I like the idea of diverting the water away from the filter area. I may do that to mine.
I drove through heave rain and removed water tray after that.

With it installed there's some gap between the hood and hood liner in the front.

As car drives at speed in the rain - air/water gets in from the front of the hood and creates chaos in that area by blowing water in different directions.

After-drive inspection showed that hood liner at passenger side was pretty much dry. Drivers side liner was broadly wet.

At that time I already had my Jiffy Pop filter cover style, which protected filter beyond doubts. So I just removed diverted installation.

I did not think of that way of water getting under the hood. I'd say gt350 intake does need extra water protection. Amount of water at hood liner was substantial and, by the way my rain drive was in the evening and I checked underhood next morning with car staying overnight in the garage. It was still wet despite underhood heat.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
No, it doesn't.
Well, I've done lexan cover myself, and... it makes sense in a way people made it as a replacement of rubber top with a lexan cover.

But I did not want to do this as I wanted
my engine bay to look oem during smog check.

So I did it in the form you did it - sort of insert inside the rubber around the filter.

First of all, it does not eliminate hot air draw completely. It is not that tight.

Also, it does form a "pool" for water collection on top/front of the filter. This water will get in filter area because this lexan lid does not provide 100% isolation for either air or water.

At least this solution needs extra work. For now I will stay with my solution. As far as lexan goes - will see if I can find some sort of soft small diameter rubber pipe that could be cut along and inserted around lexan lid perimeter.

Effott wise if all materials are available, my solution ("jiffy pop") is very fast to implement. Literally a couple of minutes at home depot parking lot with just scissors.

Lexan will take more time in garage with tools in order to make it precisely tight, and this still will provide only partial silution.

Jiffy pop's disadvantage- it makes left heat extractor unusable by blocking it. I'll think of some sort of solution for this. I do not have issues with hood at speeds, but still, long term rainy water will make hood liner extensively wet and stay there for long time.

By the way, "heat extractor" does not sound like right term. It takes air from the very front area behind radiator. It probably is more like pressure relief thingy.
Sponsored

Last edited: