Power outlet in center console

Beezpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi Everyone: I am looking to hook up a trickle charger and would like to know if the power outlet in the center console is live all the time or just when vehicle is turned on? Manual infers all the time but not clear. is anyone using it for winter trickle charging?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
Hi Everyone: I am looking to hook up a trickle charger and would like to know if the power outlet in the center console is live all the time or just when vehicle is turned on? Manual infers all the time but not clear. is anyone using it for winter trickle charging?

Thanks.
Try using a TEST LIGHT that will tell you in a heartbeat if the circuit is hot. If the light lights its hot all the time. If it only lights when the key is on well you know!

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Most trickle chargers come with a pigtail that hooks directly to the battery with little ring terminals, then you just plug it there. That's what I did with mine, and they even have caps for the connector to keep it clean and dry until you need it.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Most trickle chargers come with a pigtail that hooks directly to the battery with little ring terminals, then you just plug it there. That's what I did with mine, and they even have caps for the connector to keep it clean and dry until you need it.
That is what I did with mine. The lead pokes out by the wipers with a rubber cap on it to protect from the weather. means it is easy to plug in to the charger without any leads through doors / bonnet (hood) / boot (trunk)

OP
OP

Beezpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That is what I did with mine. The lead pokes out by the wipers with a rubber cap on it to protect from the weather. means it is easy to plug in to the charger without any leads through doors / bonnet (hood) / boot (trunk)
To All: Thanks for the replies. I have used this method on other cars. But in this case I happen to have a charger that came with a prior car and it used a connection using the aux power plug. So I plugged it in (console power outlet) with the car shut down, and the light indicating power is on was illuminated on the charger, so the plug is live with the car shut down.

Sponsored

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Check to see if it turns off after a period of time. I haven't tried the center outlet, but the one on the dash seems to cut off after a while.

OP
OP

Beezpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Check to see if it turns off after a period of time. I haven't tried the center outlet, but the one on the dash seems to cut off after a while.
Good advice, thanks.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I know the outlets in my S197 were live all the time. Only American car manufacturer that has switched outlets that I can recall is Chrysler. My 2012 F150 had 4 accessory outlets which were live all the time.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
There is a general power cut off after 10 minutes, so if you are checking circuits immediately after you turn the key off, WAIT 15 minutes for the car to power down everything.

If you open the door, all those circuits close again so you have to wait 10-15 minutes again. PITA.

OP
OP

Beezpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
There is a general power cut off after 10 minutes, so if you are checking circuits immediately after you turn the key off, WAIT 15 minutes for the car to power down everything.

If you open the door, all those circuits close again so you have to wait 10-15 minutes again. PITA.
Yes but the odd thing is, if i plug my charger in while it is still hot, it remains powered on for quite a while, i tested it up to 3 hours or so. But given the odd way it works I am opting to not use that charger, I am going to buy one that I can connect directly to the battery. Much more predictable. Bought another ctek 3300.
Sponsored