313_S550

313_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yousef
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT
You saved me having to type an explanation of what my wife's 2015 V6 started doing a few days ago.
Its got 77K miles on the clock.

Prior to searching the forum, I put it on the jack stands and inspected every joint, ball, bush, and knuckle that I could find and couldn't find anything.

A year ago We put new take-off 19" wheels on and they have about 10K miles on them.
255/40R19 Pzero and 275/40R19 Pzero

At first I thought I'd not tightened the lug nuts, but they're all good.

Have you resolved the issue?

I still haven't changed the front tires, looking to get that done sometime before turkey day. I have noticed with this indecisive Michigan weather is that above 50 degrees there's no popping noise. I began hearing the noise once mornings were in the 40s. Today it was 36 when I left and the popping was more pronounced than its ever been, so yeah I'm sure it is the tires. I also have the 255 40 19's that come with the PP1 wheels.
Sponsored

Last edited:

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 , 2017 Ford Edge Sport
Ours also started this when the temperature dropped below 40 degF and I suspect its the rubber (or whatever flexible material) in the joints getting hard and it then overcomes the tension/torque of the securing bolts.

This weekend I'm going to check the torque of these bolts and assess the condition of the four control arms, and decide whether I buy the Performance Set.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 6.35.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 6.34.46 PM.png

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-3075-F

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If you look at the info on Tire Rack, you will see that the P Zero Pirelli summer high performance tires have a warning not to use them when ambient temperatures are under 45 F. I think these are the PP1 tires. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/pirelli-p-zero

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Hack
I wasn't aware of that temperature warning - I will say that it struggled last winter when the roads were just slightly slick.

I'm sorry that I sold the original 17" wheels, and now searching for a deal on new wheels that I can mount winter tires on.

Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
LMR should have wheel sets for $1000 marked down to $600'ish for BF.
Thanks for that.

Another option I'm considering is mounting all season tires and dumping the Pzero's that have about 12K miles on them, so would welcome any suggestions on all season tires.

Costco has a deal on Bridgestone until 11/20.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
weather is that above 50 degrees there's no popping noise. I began hearing the noise once mornings were in the 40s. Today it was 36 when I left and the popping was more pronounced than its ever been, so yeah I'm sure it is the tires.
the rubber 'isolator' at the top of the shock tower is what gets hard in cold temps. When you crank the wheel it twists the spring. When it's warm the isolator stretches/deforms. When it's cold the rubber stays put and the spring 'snaps' to take the twist out. Personally I would lube the spring/isolator interface so the spring can slide against the rubber. Try something 'dry' like wax or graphite but plain ol' grease should also be fine.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
the rubber 'isolator' at the top of the shock tower is what gets hard in cold temps. When you crank the wheel it twists the spring. When it's warm the isolator stretches/deforms. When it's cold the rubber stays put and the spring 'snaps' to take the twist out. Personally I would lube the spring/isolator interface so the spring can slide against the rubber. Try something 'dry' like wax or graphite but plain ol' grease should also be fine.
Yeah that’s my guess. My car got coilovers (different spring isolator setup) and never makes the noise anymore.

Anyway its just a noise, no real cause for concern.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
I know this is hard to believe, but it's those awful P-Zero tires. Trust me. Search for "popping".
Today I got the front up on ramps and checked every joint and bush and found nothing abnormal.
Bumped and twisted the controls arms and confirmed the 184 ft/# torque on the bolts.

I've ordered all season tires from Costco (POTENZA RE980 AS+) and will soon get them installed, and only if that doesn't resolve it then I'll look at plan-B which is the Performance Control Arms.

I wondering who I can donate the almost new Pzero's to.

Is see reports similar to yours on other forums.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums...g-sound-freezing-temperature.html#post2675931

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera/1234699-dreaded-front-end-ithumpn-problem.html

https://www.mustangecoboost.net/thr...old-and-reversing-out-of-a-parking-spot.1398/

Last edited:

Sponsored

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
Pleased to report that the POTENZA RE980 AS+ tires installed at Costco yesterday evening have resolved the issue.

Arriving home yesterday evening at 7:30pm with temps just below 30degF and this morning with temps in the mid-twenties, no noise turning onto and off our driveway.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Would this be as effective without dissembling the strut?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's 100% the tires. It happens when it's cold, and just as the car is being backed out of a parking space. It's loud AF, and a bit scary. You think something is really wrong with your car.

Don't worry about it, that's normal. Get A/S tires if you want it to go away.

1004ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
This is my wife's car and she complained about instability issues when it rained, and both of us weren't comfortable with the noise from the front end when it got cold, so AS tires have resolved that and should be a whole lot better than the P-Zero's in the rain.
Sponsored

Last edited: