Poor Rear Speaker Performance

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Can someone enlighten me as to the piss poor rear speaker sound please, even when adjusting the fade all the way to the rears they are nearly non existent. Does the factory head unit send bugger all power to the rears or what?

Also what seems to be the go to replacement speaker for the rear speakers that are plug and play and without going over the top what can I do to get my rears really pumping.
Sponsored

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
stock rear speakers suck, they are very anemic... just add a sub, mono amp and tap the speaker lead for the audio
IMG_20180403_004022.jpg

OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
stock rear speakers suck, they are very anemic... just add a sub, mono amp and tap the speaker lead for the audio
IMG_20180403_004022.jpg
Thanks mate, do you have a link on how to do this?

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Just run a 4 gauge power to the trunk and tap the 2 audio wires on the right speaker... everything else is in the manual from the LC2i the remote turn on for the amp is automatic with the LC2i

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I upgraded the rear deck speakers installed the LC2i and an amp, did some adjusting and now my rear deck speakers can fill the car with music. I also replaced the rear sub and added polyfill to the enclosure.
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (28).JPG
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (15).JPG
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (12).JPG
Sub replace 4.JPG
Sub Replace6.JPG

OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I upgraded the rear deck speakers installed the LC2i and an amp, did some adjusting and now my rear deck speakers can fill the car with music. I also replaced the rear sub and added polyfill to the enclosure.
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (28).JPG
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (15).JPG
Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade (12).JPG
Sub replace 4.JPG
Sub Replace6.JPG
That looks like a sweet install, I'd be interested in more details of the fit up of all the gear. I must admit I'm a bit of an audio noob when it comes to cars.

OP
OP
Burgo

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so some questions on gear, the LC2i is a given.
SVC or DVC Sub?
Dual channel or mono amp?
What amp if I want to run a sub and change out my rear speakers?

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
I have found that the package tray (deck cover) kills a lot of sound volume and quality, and have decided to cut out holes and cover them with generic grilles.

Technically speaking, however, most of the sound should be coming from the front for proper stereo staging.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so some questions on gear, the LC2i is a given.
SVC or DVC Sub? Dual
Dual channel or mono amp? 2 Channel
What amp if I want to run a sub and change out my rear speakers?
4 channel amp with bridgeable outputs for the sub.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
I have found that the package tray (deck cover) kills a lot of sound volume and quality, and have decided to cut out holes and cover them with generic grilles. In the late 70's - early 80's I worked at a car stereo shop in Santa Barbara installing high end systems for celebrities and millionaires. I bought a punch and will perforate the rear deck mat to keep the look stock and not clutter the rear deck with grilles.

Technically speaking, however, most of the sound should be coming from the front for proper stereo staging.
I can use my fader to adjust the sound how I like it and not the new norm of auto fidelity.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Can someone enlighten me as to the piss poor rear speaker sound please, even when adjusting the fade all the way to the rears they are nearly non existent. Does the factory head unit send bugger all power to the rears or what?

Also what seems to be the go to replacement speaker for the rear speakers that are plug and play and without going over the top what can I do to get my rears really pumping.
The rears on an S197 chassis are setup from the factory (that was a Sony system) as fills. It's not the issue with the speakers, but the output of the head unit is designed that way. The S550 chassis cars are likely set up the same, even though the supplier changed (I think Harmon-Kardon supplies both the base and extra-cost radio).

To my ears, the lack of a sub was the real issue.

EliteGeeks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a hard time believing that the OEM Sub Location is any good for sound, ... I have a hard time enjoying my sub with the seats up, nevermind if it was locked in the trunk. not like it has a sound tube to port into the cabin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I have a hard time believing that the OEM Sub Location is any good for sound, ... I have a hard time enjoying my sub with the seats up, nevermind if it was locked in the trunk. not like it has a sound tube to port into the cabin
That same location is used in a lot of cars, I have JL boxes in my other dads and they use same spot and sound amazing.