Sponsored

MMR OPG's

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You can faintly see the MMR logo in his pic.

Inked20210315_150414 (Small)_LI.jpg
right, but the mark is 'low' and and not centered. Either this is an older run or they 'recently' started using a jig (or single op) so their marks would be placed accurately. If direct from MMR, this is clear case of return with prejudice.
Sponsored

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
laser marking (etching) can easily abrade off.
Also where did you buy? You might have a store that is sending out counterfeit goods intentionally or otherwise.

On 2nd look yours look counterfeit. The angle on the 'r' is off and the mark is not properly centered.
I don't know what typical wire-EDM tolerances are...

If they're using the common 0.01" wire the kerf can be as high as 0.013 so it looks to me the CNC operator probably didn't set the offset right or whomever made it doesn't know what they are doing in the first place. Or they're stacking tolerances.
HA HA now your speaking french. Not sure what that means but the bottom line is i didnt get what i paid for. I hang on the Edelbrock FB page and chatted with people there and i also called another vendor and i can tell you i wish i had this info before i ever bought these gears. This is like some hush hush topic no one wants to talk about out of fear of reprisal but as a consumer i deserve all the information and these gears should have some instruction with them to tell people how to check clearances.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
right, but the mark is 'low' and and not centered. Either this is an older run or they 'recently' started using a jig (or single op) so their marks would be placed accurately. If direct from MMR, this is clear case of return with prejudice.
The MMR logo from the crank gear is imprinted onto my ATI balancer and it flops around on the crank like a tit in a trance.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
What is the type of steel used? Some will shrink during heat treat. You say .017 at the tip? What should it be?

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
What is the type of steel used? Some will shrink during heat treat. You say .017 at the tip? What should it be?
Check out this video from the head tech at boundary engineering. .001 to .004 . My machinist friend said that much clearance will cause a loss of pressure. Its a very important tolerence.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
a class 2 slip fit (I'm kinda guessing the size on the OPG) is around 0.002-0.005". If you mean distance between tip of inner ring into rounded mound of outer ring, I couldn't say.

Ha, so my guess was pretty much spot on. Thanks for the video.

Last edited:
OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
a class 2 slip fit (I'm kinda guessing the size on the OPG) is around 0.002-0.005". If you mean distance between tip of inner ring into rounded mound of outer ring, I couldn't say.
The gear to case was .008 but possibly more since using a feeler gauge on a circle is not that accurate. But too much movement can allow the gears to clash.

20210315_162036.jpg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The gear to case was .008 but possibly more since using a feeler gauge on a circle is not that accurate. But too much movement can allow the gears to clash.
right, what is the fitment of the inner gear to it's shaft? I'll bet the inner gear wobbles. A class 3 on that might be a bit of a pain during install but could be 0.001-0.003" but definitely should not be worse than a class 2.

OP
OP

socketman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT / PP
right, what is the fitment of the inner gear to it's shaft? I'll bet the inner gear wobbles.
Yup , plenty of play to go around, will not have a comment on that until i pick up my new oil pump from ford tomorrow for comparison.

Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I'm glad I got boundary gears, just saying.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Gee thank for calling me a liar.
I know right ! Sloppy MMR OPG's wearing off the etch, tolerances that are WAY out as per a lot of aftermarket OPG's, so you MUST be a lier. The only LIARS are those companies that say one thing and deliver something else. Cheers bud.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Those laser etchings are going to be gone pretty quickly when things start rubbing together due to bad tolerances.

OP, It would be best to show that its an MMR gear with photos. We can see that they punched the corners for testing and clearly labeled it with a marker, but we can't see that its an MMR gear set. You obviously don't have to do anything, but it's just to help others see what's happening is factual with photos for proof.

I'm curious to see what MMR does for you and if they honor their warranty. Even if you don't plan to run another one of their sets, It would nice get it warrantied and test the new set they give you.

Here's a picture a new set of MMR gears before installation..

thumbnail.jpg
Sponsored