Sponsored

PMAS Intake Systems from UPR Products. TUNE AND NO TUNE INTAKES

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Thanks for all the input you are providing in this thread. I'm sure it's been discussed but I have a question regarding the tuned version. I see where a member here picked up 14 additional h/p w/the no tune.

How much should I expect to see wi/ a tuned version? I was on the dyno a couple of months ago and laid down 419 to the tire (Lund tune for E85 & Steeda CAI).

Thanks as I'm strongly leaning toward making this switch.
Tune/no tune doesn't change the power potential. It just means that your tuner will have to change the transfer function to adjust the MAF to read the air flowing through the larger tube. They're the same intake, one just includes the MAF already calibrated for the larger tube.

I purposely bought the "no tune" to test their claims of not needing a tune, and not using load factoring to trick the ECU.
Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
So how is this different than the Steeda's dyno test for their intake, which they compared to other brand intakes and gained 22 whp on a non tune version? Same goes for Roush which they claimed 10 whp on the dyno.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
So how is this different than the Steeda's dyno test for their intake, which they compared to other brand intakes and gained 22 whp on a non tune version? Same goes for Roush which they claimed 10 whp on the dyno.

What, apart from [MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION] doing an independent dyno run, no ties to the manufacturer, giving what he had found, which are quite impressive... none really.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Manufacturers are known to stretch the truth a bit. Or they take advantage of conditions that favor their product. That is what Steeda did in their test which they gained 22 hp. PMAS likewise did it. In the first page of this thread they claimed 20 hp and 15 tq. Of course, different dyno, different times, different car, different operator, different conditions. So it can be argued that they did gain 20 hp and it can be argued that Steeda did gain 22 hp. However a third party independent test is more legit especially when conditions are identical. We see that the PMAS actually was good for about 12 hp. Which is on par with what intakes are known to make over stock. Using PMAS as an example, you could propose that all the top quality intakes would be good for about a 10-15 hp increase. JLT has posted several graphs in which they gained about 12 hp. Airaid also. Steeda would be among them. So no, none of us are expecting 20 hp. But 10-15 is logical.

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
Actually I think it shows we are the only manufacturer to be called out and be independently tested to show that we are anywhere even close to our claimed gains. Keep in mind, this was only one test. Also remember this was our no tune required kit and we still made more power than all the other tune required kits. If you put us against the other no tune required kits, it's not even close.

I also tried to be very fair with our dyno runs. I picked the middle of three runs with ours and the highest stock pull in our graph. We did have good air that day but that was just by chance. There were places in the pull where the kit made more than 20HP but I chose to compare peak numbers instead of doing what everybody else does.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
I could have posted something like this.. remember this is from the same runs. It's just clicking a different place on the graph and leaving peak numbers off and using our best pull instead of the one in the middle.
test.jpg

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Actually I think it shows we are the only manufacturer to be called out and be independently tested to show that we are anywhere even close to our claimed gains. Keep in mind, this was only one test. Also remember this was our no tune required kit and we still made more power than all the other tune required kits. If you put us against the other no tune required kits, it's not even close.

I also tried to be very fair with our dyno runs. I picked the middle of three runs with ours and the highest stock pull in our graph. We did have good air that day but that was just by chance. There were places in the pull where the kit made more than 20HP but I chose to compare peak numbers instead of doing what everybody else does.
I thought you said there was no difference between the no tune required and the time required? So why even mention that, that you "still" made more power. As if to say there is more power to be gained with the tune only version. I have a JLT and if the tune only version of yours can give me 15hp more on top of my JLT I would buy it this second

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
I thought you said there was no difference between the no tune required and the time required? So why even mention that, that you "still" made more power. As if to say there is more power to be gained with the tune only version. I have a JLT and if the tune only version of yours can give me 15hp more on top of my JLT I would buy it this second
Because when you compare a car running the stock tune and stock intake, it will make X hp. Add the no tune PMAS on the same car, still will the stock tune and gains will be ~15rwhp. Then you can add say a Lund tune, which is good for 15-20 rwhp even with a stock intake, and that's why PMAS made the statement they did.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
You definitely should not expect 15hp over your JLT which outflows the stock airbox by a lot as well.

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
Because when you compare a car running the stock tune and stock intake, it will make X hp. Add the no tune PMAS on the same car, still will the stock tune and gains will be ~15rwhp. Then you can add say a Lund tune, which is good for 15-20 rwhp even with a stock intake, and that's why PMAS made the statement they did.
This.. and because most the no tune required kits out there show VERY little gain if any over the stock airbox. The only ones worth buying, in my opinion, are ones that require a tune. Excluding ours.

The point was to say that our tune required kit is in a class of no tune kits that usually show very small if any gains but it outperformed the kits in a class of tune required kits that do usually show real gains.

Sponsored

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
You definitely should not expect 15hp over your JLT which outflows the stock airbox by a lot as well.
We saw a gain of 7WHP with the JLT on the same day and with the same car we made 20 with. We made a calibrated sensor for the JLT to test it without a tune in the same way we make our no tune required kit work. We we curious to see actual no tune gains with the JLT. I'm sorry we did not have time to test more.

In flow testing I would probably give 2nd place to Steeda and last place to BBK. I'm sorry, I have not tested an Airraid yet.

I can send the calibrated JLT maf sensor to anybody that would like to independently dyno the JLT.

Last edited:

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We saw a gain of 7WHP with the JLT on the same day and with the same car we made 20 with. We made a calibrated sensor for the JLT to test it without a tune in the same way we make our no tune required kit work. We we curious to see actual no tune gains with the JLT. I'm sorry we did not have time to test more.
I like that you guys did that. Because you only see them showing their kit results from stock to their kit with a tune.

I have used your MAFs since you guys became to be. Mainly of dem old foxbody. lol I am sure when I swap my intake manifold I will be swapping to your intake system as well. I am glad you guys finally got a product you can stand behind. :cheers:

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
[MENTION=19646]dev1360[/MENTION] were your tests done with or without the snorkel attached?
Stock had the snorkel, PMAS had none.

FWIW, when this car was tuned on the dyno on 93, we gained 25whp, and 19ft lbs of torque at peak. Unknown how much E85 gained over that. This PMAS then showed ANOTHER 14WHP over the tune without any changes. Look at it from that perspective.

PMAS

Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PMAS-MAF.com
Vehicle(s)
multiple
Stock had the snorkel, PMAS had none.

FWIW, when this car was tuned on the dyno on 93, we gained 25whp, and 19ft lbs of torque at peak. Unknown how much E85 gained over that. This PMAS then showed ANOTHER 14WHP over the tune without any changes. Look at it from that perspective.
Just shy of 40WHP with a tune and an intake system is good stuff right there :cheers:
Sponsored