Sponsored

Plastic seat belt guides...?

Black15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No shitty mustang that's fo' sho'
So I've seen some older threads where people were using the plastic seat belt guides off older Cobalts / G5s, but unfortunately the driver side has been discontinued.

I've looked into junk yards near me, no luck. I've thought about getting 2x passenger sides and trying to just make it work either putting it on backwards or flipping it upside down. I was wondering what other options people have come up with, other than using (and eventually ruining) the leather strap or buying the ridiculously high priced ones marketed as "mustang" seat belt guides (which are just overpriced Cobalt guides). Are there other vehicle seat belt guides that would work (e.g. - older Monte Carlos)?
Sponsored

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
The cobalt ones are getting rare, but i was able to find a pair from a guy who was parting out his cobalt. He had not specifically listed the seatbelt guides, but was happy to take a few dollars for them. Keep an eye out!

OP
OP

Black15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I'll keep looking! Until then, I'll give the passenger one a try on the driver side... For the $9 it costs new it'll be better than ruining the leather strap - how did Ford think that was a good idea...

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
For the driver's side I find that I can do just fine without a guide. The only thing that seems to make your life more difficult without the guide is that the seatbelt's rest position is too far back, making it hard for you to turn around and reach it.
But there's a trick.
Normally you lift your right hand towards your left shoulder, expect to find the seatbelt somewhere around there, then just grab it and pull it towards you. This works well in most cars. It also works in a Mustang if you use the leather strap or some other kind of guide. But it doesn't quite work if you don't use the strap.
But I don't do that. Sitting in the normal, driving position, I lower my left arm towards the floor, between the door and the seat, then swing it backwards, and voilá! The seatbelt is right there. I can easily grab it with my left hand, then pull it forwards until I can catch it with my right hand. Fast and easy and elegant. And comfortable, too. No problem at all.

I do sometimes wish I had a guide on the passenger's side though. Because passengers don't know this trick and always struggle to turn around and to contort in various ways until they manage to reach the seatbelt.

On the other hand, a seatbelt guide has the drawback that the belt stands in your way when you want to get in the back. I take my kids to and from school every day. My rear seats get a lot of use. Having to release the seatbelt from the guide, then to attach it back, each and every time one of my kids went in there would probably drive me insane.

Last edited:

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Are the ones that come in Recaro equipped mustangs not available for purchase?

Sponsored

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I've seen some older threads where people were using the plastic seat belt guides off older Cobalts / G5s, but unfortunately the driver side has been discontinued.

I've looked into junk yards near me, no luck. I've thought about getting 2x passenger sides and trying to just make it work either putting it on backwards or flipping it upside down. I was wondering what other options people have come up with, other than using (and eventually ruining) the leather strap or buying the ridiculously high priced ones marketed as "mustang" seat belt guides (which are just overpriced Cobalt guides). Are there other vehicle seat belt guides that would work (e.g. - older Monte Carlos)?
Is this what you’re seeking?
1648268288480.png

That was posted by another M6G member a couple of days ago. He has a thread on here about center console light issue and also twisted seat belt issue…. I don’t know who sells them, but have asked…. Hopefully he’ll share the info.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The only company I could find that sells these is in Australia.

https://www.mystangmods.com.au/hustle-performance-seat-belt-guide-pair-15-21

Much too expensive for just two simple pieces of plastic, if you ask me, especially when you factor in the shipping and import fees.
Besides, it looks like removing the seatbelt from the guide and then inserting it back would be quite fiddly. Not a good idea when you need to use the rear seats often.

OP
OP

Black15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are them. And they are much too expensive when they used to be had from the Cobalt / G5 line for $15 each.

You don't have to do much fiddling to get the seat belt in and out, there's a slit in the loop for slipping the belt in and out (or there should be anyway).

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, there's a slit indeed, but I can imagine how fiddly it must be to make the belt pass through that narrow slit, in and out. I'm sure it's OK if you only do it occasionally, but having to do it three or four times daily (in my case) would get annoying very fast and I would probably stop using them at all after a day or two. At least that's what I imagine. I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i was looking for these in the UK and a seller on ebay had various stainless steel units for different cars for sale - bit of messaging back and forth and Audi TT mk1 guides were pretty close in terms of hole spacing to fit, mgf TF i think were close but not as close as the Audi units. I never followed it up as i decided I didn't want to have restrictions on the seat folding forward. Might help someone else out there

djpayne2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Eco Premium
I just bought a set off ebay for about $40...they work just fine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/224868541976
I just bought these for 43 bucks free shipping and very fast delivery. No drilling required. Fit perfect. Haven't driven with them yet but they seem to put the belt at the correct height for less neck pain. You won't be able to put the headrest at the lowest setting.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Is this what you’re seeking?
1648268288480.png

That was posted by another M6G member a couple of days ago. He has a thread on here about center console light issue and also twisted seat belt issue…. I don’t know who sells them, but have asked…. Hopefully he’ll share the info.
These work great! Best $40 bucks spent on the car. Much needed in my case.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, there's a slit indeed, but I can imagine how fiddly it must be to make the belt pass through that narrow slit, in and out. I'm sure it's OK if you only do it occasionally, but having to do it three or four times daily (in my case) would get annoying very fast and I would probably stop using them at all after a day or two. At least that's what I imagine. I may be wrong.
Ya, it takes a bit of threading to get it in. Not something I would want to do a lot. The snap probably works best in your case.
Sponsored