Sponsored

Piston Slap issues?

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Ok, I'm really trying to narrow down what noise in my S550..

A little background..
- Worse on colder mornings
- Car is a 5.0, 6 speed, and has 2k miles
- Has done it since new (car had been driven and was warm when I test drove it so didn't notice then)

30 degree morning, sounds fine starting and idling.. Within the first min or so if I rev it up a little I can get a little noise, but it's gone pretty quickly.. I think that's probably normal with things warming up and oil getting to where it needs to be and I'm fine with that.

However, light driving and going through the gears around 1900-1950rpm I have a pronounced noise that sounds like valve chatter, kinda sounds like a sewing machine. Noise gets less noticeable while driving and things get warmer. After about 10 miles or so, it really hard to hear. It's easiest to hear in 4th or 5th gear and just barely holding speed.. Last night I started the car, let it warm up for about 10 mins and went for a drive, same noise.. I can't get it to make the noise with the clutch pressed in, but it seems like it needs to just barely have a load on it, so can't totally say if it's a tranny or engine noise..

So.. How do you isolate this? I figured letting it warm up and all the temps up to normal would rule out the engine side (piston slap) of the problem. Also can't really see why a tranny issue would be specific to just those RPM's..

I'll get it in for service, I just want to be able to have an idea where to point them as they usually are clueless..
Also, I'll try to grab another car and see if the same sounds are present.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

cjldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Narrowed the noise to the engine.. My truck does it too if I hold the gears manually. Only does it for a couple mins from dead cold though.. Mustang does it for a lot longer.. Maybe 10-15 mins before it's hard to notice..

Last edited:

Silen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost mustang
My car does this too dealer said its normal -.-
Sponsored