Performance driving school @ Buttonwillow

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
$400 - $500 is what I typically pay for track insurance for a weekend event with Lockton.
Sponsored

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Fred, my GT-350 brother. after reading the "information" that I read on the link, it sort of reminds me of the "GT-350 Track Attack" format, except that there will be an instructor in your car. I know that you attended that event and I'm thinking that you had a good time.
You own a beautiful GT-350 that was engineered and made to go on the track. You won't "Wreck" your car, the instructor will keep your "Passions" within due bounds as they want you to learn and enjoy your experience. I'm getting ready for the sad day when I put mine up for the winter. (SUCKS) My suggestion is "Let your hair down" and do it. Screw the insurance, remember that we are just passing through this lifetime. Only one time around the block ! Just my "Old Geezer" 2 cents opinion......
Regards, Ray
Ray
Iā€˜m already flipping back the other way (probably going) because Iā€™ll benefit more than the risk. Life is full of risks.
In this case, itā€™s pure instruction, not racing.
Iā€™ve ridden motorcycles for decades. Every class Iā€™ve ever taken gives me discounts on insurance. Why? Because it makes us better riders and lowers our liability. Itā€™s a shame the auto insurance companies donā€™t see it the same. The word ā€œtrackā€ makes all the difference.
If the instruction was in a huge parking lot, Iā€™m thinking Iā€™d be covered.
Thanks for the extra push.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Is that from your auto insurance provider? Look into Hagerty track day insurance if you haven't
That quote is from Hagerty who I already have coverage with. The 8K deductible is 10% of the stated payoff coverage I have in case of a total loss from my regular coverage.

Last edited:

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Exactly, thatā€™s my whole point. Insurance Co just doesnā€™t get it.
look into track day insurance, not through your provider. Does this require it, or you want it for peace of mind?

Sponsored

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
look into track day insurance, not through your provider. Does this require it, or you want it for peace of mind?
Not required. Yes, peace of mind.
To be honest, just like driving on the street, Iā€™m more worried about the other guys.

FresnoGiant

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT350
Boo, it looks like they aren't doing this for 2023. Nothing on the schedule and no mention of it on the site anymore. http://buttonwillowraceway.com/calendar-of-events/
I attended their Dec 2022 track day (HPDC) and the instructors did in fact say that it would be their last one. They didn't really go into detail, but it sounds like it's gone for good. I'm fortunate to have gone, since the instruction and overall experience was excellent.

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I was there too! Ditto to what FresnoGiant said, good times, glad I attended, sad it ain't coming back.

I talked briefly to one of the instructors and seems like Buttonwillow's track schedule for 2023 is so busy there's just no good dates to hold another Driver's Clinic. Maybe they'll bring it back once the new track opens.

OP
OP
460Fred

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I was there too! Ditto to what FresnoGiant said, good times, glad I attended, sad it ain't coming back.

I talked briefly to one of the instructors and seems like Buttonwillow's track schedule for 2023 is so busy there's just no good dates to hold another Driver's Clinic. Maybe they'll bring it back once the new track opens.
Spoke to someone yesterday as Iā€™m selling my GT350ā€¦He tracks a Camaro ZL1 1LE. He told me about the new track and heā€™s pumped.

Sponsored

EuroKllr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Where is this new track?
If you've been to Buttonwillow Raceway then you know the long tree-lined driveway from the road to the gate. Access to the new track will be from the same long driveway on the right (west), so essentially the same property.

The track was scheduled to be open by now, but multiple delays caused by the pandemic, environmental issues, and local & state regulations have cost the owners a lot time & money. Good news is the owner, who spoke at the Driving Clinic, stated he's committed to seeing it completed, but I'm not sure by when.

Here's an article and Youtube video of the rough graded new track posted by Racer.com about two years ago.

Article: https://racer.com/2021/02/08/southern-californias-buttonwillow-track-2-takes-shape/

Video:

Last edited:

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Thanks! My signature photo is my car at BW.
Sponsored