Sponsored

Passing in 6th gear.

SrqGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt pp
I'm procharged and sixth still sort of sucks. Only use it for cruising, if I'm passing fifth is the gear now.
Sponsored

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Yeah, find 6th sucks for passing. Drop back a gear or two and scoot....:D

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Funny this goes right to lugging an engine and RPM ranges that are appropriate, you drop in on an exhaust thread and it's all my stuff drones in 6th @ 55...you can't tell those ding dongs a thing at all about gears and RPMS or how they make they're own "drone" problems by being in 6th @ 2K rpm.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
6th gear is easy to pass with on interstate...not sure why I would need to drop a gear to just go around someone when im doing 75 already. No reason to drop to 5th to just pass someone unless you need to scoot around them due to traffic or your showing off :). Car has plenty of power in my experience on the highway and the engine never bogs...maybe its the 3.73 rear gears in mine. Dunno.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
what can we define as lugging? If you were to datalog a WOT in 6th gear, what numbers would be of interest ?

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Funny this goes right to lugging an engine and RPM ranges that are appropriate, you drop in on an exhaust thread and it's all my stuff drones in 6th @ 55...you can't tell those ding dongs a thing at all about gears and RPMS or how they make they're own "drone" problems by being in 6th @ 2K rpm.
I knew as soon as I saw the title to this thread you would be in here talking about exhaust drone and how it is bad to be in 6th at lower rpms.

Not sure why it is so difficult to comprehend that 6th is an overdrive gear and there is absolutely no problem being in it at 2,000 rpm.

Should you attempt to rapidly accelerate in 6th at 2,000 rpm - probably not, but it is perfectly fine for cruising at that rpm.

The better exhaust setups do not drone at 1,800 rpm let alone 2,000.

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am not impressed with 6th gear passing power...My PP seems sluggish when cruising on the highway and then trying to pass while in 6th.

It is much more productive to drop down a gear to get the passing done in a quicker safe manner... Plus the nice exhaust sound I have makes it much more enjoyable...BTW.... I have bolt on mods with a tune and its still not eliminated 100%

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
The point I was making was for me in this case it wasn't lugging the engine. I didn't even have to floor it. It took 20% throttle at most. That is why I love my car. In my Lightning (14 psi) I hit the o/d button before speeding up.
Same here, and I am on the highway A LOT. Pass people in 6th gear with ease after 65mph.

Semi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
79 ford f250 7.5l/2015 gt pp ruby red
Same here, and I am on the highway A LOT. Pass people in 6th gear with ease after 65mph.
I live in Utah. Unfortunately we have to pass on the right most days. Pretty easy in 6th.

Sponsored

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Compared to my Z51 C6 passing in 6th is a lot easier with my PP GT... is it blistering fast? Nah...

OP
OP
x_man586

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6

OP
OP
x_man586

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
what can we define as lugging? If you were to datalog a WOT in 6th gear, what numbers would be of interest ?
For me I say that if you press on the accelerator and the car doesn't immediately show a sign of speeding up you are lugging the engine. I was going 65 in 6th and when I pressed on the pedal it got to 80 in around 4 seconds. It was effortless.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I knew as soon as I saw the title to this thread you would be in here talking about exhaust drone and how it is bad to be in 6th at lower rpms.

Not sure why it is so difficult to comprehend that 6th is an overdrive gear and there is absolutely no problem being in it at 2,000 rpm.

Should you attempt to rapidly accelerate in 6th at 2,000 rpm - probably not, but it is perfectly fine for cruising at that rpm.

The better exhaust setups do not drone at 1,800 rpm let alone 2,000.
...and I knew you'd be hear bragging about how you never learned to drive a stick properly. :lol:

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
...and I knew you'd be hear bragging about how you never learned to drive a stick properly. :lol:
:frusty:

You really do need to look up the definition of and when to use an overdrive gear.

Assuming you aren't just trolling all these threads and truly believe it is bad for the engine to be in 6th while cruising at highway speed limits, I assure you, it isn't I who never learned to drive a stick properly.
Sponsored