Sponsored

Part throttle stutter/misfire. Dealership failed me.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
That’s just the nature of the 10r80. Not a smooth transmission at all. If it was a misfire you’d see P0300 or P0308 codes. If you’re so inclined just buy and install new spark plugs or coils. But the only way to “solve” this is to buy a Porsche with a PDK, a BMW with a DCT, or trade for a manual mustang.
Well... My 2020 GT and my 2022 GT CS both with the 10 speed auto and they have never evidenced that issue so I'm calling BS on that. I DID have an actual misfire issue with my 22 GT CS and it was fixed by my dealer by updating the software in my Power Control Module.

OP
OP
Turbo Cow

Turbo Cow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Do you have, or have access to, a good scan tool? One that will capture live data.
If so hook it up and record what's happening in a few different situations and conditions. Then take that evidence to the dealer. Or better yet a different dealership.
Record, or screenshot, things like misfire counts, a/f ratios, fuel trims, O2 sensor data, cam and crank angles, IAT/engine temping fuel pressure and whatever else doesn't look normal when watching the data.
Sometimes you have to make them see what you see...

Edit; I just noticed it's the automatic. Depending on what mode it's in they can be jerky/abrupt. Are you sure it's the engine and not the transmission?
I have a ford procal hand held tuner I just unboxed. I have updated its software and saved a copy of my factory configuration. I have not installed any aftermarket tunenat this point.
Can the ford procal do what you're asking?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have a ford procal hand held tuner I just unboxed. I have updated its software and saved a copy of my factory configuration. I have not installed any aftermarket tunenat this point.
Can the ford procal do what you're asking?
It can do basic data logging. Go into a menu called gauges. Tap on a gauge and select a PID to log from the categories and sub categories. Some of the PIDs are a bit cryptic. There is a max of 8 you can log at one time. Once you have your desired gauges set, go into data logging menu. Choose a log file from 1 to 4. When ready to data log tap on start recording. Once you have a few logs, take the Procal to a computer and use the Procal software to manage the data logs. You can view them using the graph function. Keep the data logs short (like 2 minutes) otherwise you won't be able to view them with the graph feature. You can save the data to a CSV file and massage it in Excel as an option.

Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Well... My 2020 GT and my 2022 GT CS both with the 10 speed auto and they have never evidenced that issue so I'm calling BS on that. I DID have an actual misfire issue with my 22 GT CS and it was fixed by my dealer by updating the software in my Power Control Module.
Tell me more of your misfires! Random, all rpm, idle, under load, many misfires or only a few?

Any more on the update the PCM part?

Thank you

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked the transmission fluid? Do you have a really harsh 2-3 and/or 4-5 shift in any mode? I would suggest that you check it or have it checked, anyway.

CrazyHippie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Hybrid
I agree with Linkster1666. My 23 GT/CS stutters live you're describing intermittently, and my next move is checking trans fluid level.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
NOT normal, the remark about a different dealer sounds good. Something you could try that's pretty easy and free, unhook the battery for 30 minutes or so. Then drive it for a couple of days and see if it changes. Ya the A10 is twitchy but mine doesn't act like that. Jim
Same here, I have not had any issues with the A10 that a number of people have noted on this forum. I did play with the Sport mode and found that it shifts harder and pulls better than in normal Drive position as it doesn't upshift as quickly when at part throttle, unlike Drive where it upshifts to higher gears sooner. Granted I have under 5K miles yet but driving it more now that I'm on the mainland.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rob911

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 or 2022 Mustang
I have\had the exact same thing happen when I picked up my 2022 GT auto last July. It still does it today, they have never been able to fix it. I notice it at 45 to 50 mph with very light throttle reapplication, no check engine lights though. It can be a very rough stumble, it's consistent and easy to reproduce. I always run 91 and have tried different brands of fuel, no impact.

Last summer I took the service tech for a drive and he said that it was NOT normal. It went back multiple times to the dealer, they took it for a drive and confirmed misfires. They then replaced one plug and swapped the coils, the next time they replaced all the plugs. Still no improvement. I gave up.

This is not normal unless it is due to very poor programming on Ford's part (fuel mapping and tranny programming). None of the my other traditional autos have ever done this. My CRV can cruise along at 45 - 50 mph at 1,200 rpm and when I apply very light throttle she is as smooth as a sewing machine. Wife's Mazda3 six speed auto, very smooth as well.

Good luck

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I have\had the exact same thing happen when I picked up my 2022 GT auto last July. It still does it today, they have never been able to fix it. I notice it at 45 to 50 mph with very light throttle reapplication, no check engine lights though. It can be a very rough stumble, it's consistent and easy to reproduce. I always run 91 and have tried different brands of fuel, no impact.

Last summer I took the service tech for a drive and he said that it was NOT normal. It went back multiple times to the dealer, they took it for a drive and confirmed misfires. They then replaced one plug and swapped the coils, the next time they replaced all the plugs. Still no improvement. I gave up.

This is not normal unless it is due to very poor programming on Ford's part (fuel mapping and tranny programming). None of the my other traditional autos have ever done this. My CRV can cruise along at 45 - 50 mph at 1,200 rpm and when I apply very light throttle she is as smooth as a sewing machine. Wife's Mazda3 six speed auto, very smooth as well.

Good luck
If I were you I'd threaten to use the Lemon law to replace it. I bet they'd get a factory tech to come look at it the next time he was in your area. I DO now remember that the factory tech just happened to be there the day I took mine in. I suspect he was the one that diagnosed and fixed the problem.
Sponsored