Parking Brake

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
Gotta say I love the electric parking brake on the car...until it threw a “parking brake malfunction” message at me today. Took it in to get looked at. Turns out there was a loose connector, so that’s good, no mechanical issue. Mechanic told me several GT500 owners have been reporting this issue, so might be a good thing to check for anyone who has jacks next time you have your car off the ground.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thanks, David..good tip and I hope I remember to check next time. :-)

Truthfully though, I've yet to use it. Hell, I forgot about it. <laughing> (We don't have much in the way of inclines down this way.)

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, David..good tip and I hope I remember to check next time. :-)

Truthfully though, I've yet to use it. Hell, I forgot about it. <laughing> (We don't have much in the way of inclines down this way.)
haha yeah, KB, no hills down in Corpus Christi area. Just go a little farther north; you’ll be in “hill country” before you know it, lol

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of the parking brake, when I was taking out the console, I had to remove the manual parking brake release strap to get it out. I had no idea what this bright orange strap was then saw it was attached to the parking brake cable. If you haven't seen it, or if your electric parking brake does not release, or your battery is dead, you should check out the manual brake release. Inside the console storage to the left of the USB port is a plastic cover. If you remove that cover, an orange strap is connected to it. You just pull it to release the parking brake.

Also, I'm sure most of you know but if your parking brake is set and you shift into Drive, it automatically releases. Also, it will automatically set if you don't come to a complete stop before you shift into Park or if you are on a hill.

OP
OP

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
All good info Mark. Upon picking up my car and reading the paperwork, the loose connector is actually under the center console and attached directly to the Parking Brake switch. So if anyone else has the issue, that's probably where it's at; not outside unfortunately as the tech originally led me to believe. Per the paperwork: "removed center console trim piece, found C2015 on parking brake switch not properly secured. Re-secured and ops check good."

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I noticed this and mentioned it to Jaime. Stop the car, put it in park and the car doesn't roll away.

Put the car up in the air on a 2-post, transmission in park, and the rear wheels turn easily by hand. Question is, what sensor is detecting whether the car is in the air or on the ground and making the call...

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Well now, Tob, THAT is interesting. I never checked if they were free in Park on the lift.

I know in a perfect situation, tire pressure wouldn't change but in the real world, perhaps it changes enough to trigger the "in air" mode with the weight off.

Unlikely, I know but it isn't an aircraft with a switch on the landing gear. BTW, all sorts of things happen on a commercial aircraft when the weight comes off the wheels.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I noticed this and mentioned it to Jaime. Stop the car, put it in park and the car doesn't roll away.

Put the car up in the air on a 2-post, transmission in park, and the rear wheels turn easily by hand. Question is, what sensor is detecting whether the car is in the air or on the ground and making the call...
OK, I’m going to presume when you say the rear wheels turn easily, you mean in the same direction? That would be weird. ‘Cause the differential will allow the wheels to turn, but in the opposite direction...
Sponsored