Paint Match, am I being dramatic?

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 401A, 6MT
Just got my car back from a front bumper replacement after a deer ran out in front of me.

Am I being dramatic on the paint match? I know it'll never be perfect, but this is my first new car and Im not too sure how close they usually get.

If this looks good to y'all, Im fine. Just inexperienced in this part of car ownership.

The front bumper is new, and looks a shade lighter to me.

Thanks y'all.

B13365FA-0B6C-4DA9-8347-C434D68C255D.jpeg
F5FD8C4C-256B-429C-B43D-A64126939CA3.jpeg

2F0C4A47-D1A1-4ACD-A2D2-9CC15DF32326.jpeg
126EC9CF-1F5C-48DE-9B05-C20DF22C3E7C.jpeg

FAEBFE15-EF9C-4AE8-AD75-0AE27F078318.jpeg
Sponsored

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
It is not bad. It will fade in time to match

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
The Bumper to fender looks close, the hood edge looks off.
But that could be camera angle. Really need to see it in the sunlight.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Don t stress, I ve seen worse from the factory. Great looking car, no one is looking at that other than you.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Silver metallic's are hard to match because of the flake and if the way they sit /flow is not the same as the rest of the car, the light reflection off the flake causes the color to look like it is way off, and why as you move your head around it can look better one way and worse another.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'll be the dissenting voice then, every picture but the last looks like the bumper is a different (lighter) shade. I would not be happy with this, I had to replace my front bumper too and it's ingot so not the metallic like yours and the paint shop did a perfect job matching the color.

With that said, pictures are deceiving and I'm not going be able to see it in person so take my opinion for what its worth. Very little.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
time to g o with a hood blackout or carbon fiber

OP
OP
waltrs

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
it definitely looks better from certain angles, but from straight on it's very noticeable. but the feedback here has put me at ease a little. im not the happiest with it but i definitely understand how near impossible it is to get a metallic color to look identical. they're rarely identical from factory.

add that onto the fact that the rest of the car is filthy and this bumper is brand new so it hasn't had a chance to get any nastiness on it, i think i can live with it.

OP
OP
waltrs

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
time to g o with a hood blackout or carbon fiber
don't tempt me lol, ive considered a whole carbon front clip, this doesn't help.

Sponsored

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it definitely looks better from certain angles, but from straight on it's very noticeable. but the feedback here has put me at ease a little. im not the happiest with it but i definitely understand how near impossible it is to get a metallic color to look identical. they're rarely identical from factory.

add that onto the fact that the rest of the car is filthy and this bumper is brand new so it hasn't had a chance to get any nastiness on it, i think i can live with it.
In a previous post, I mentioned that I think it looks fine b/c I wouldn't really notice it if you are driving by, etc.

However, if this is for an insurance claim, let the insurance company know you are not satisfied with the color-match. If you are standing next to the car and it's noticeable, then I would definitely complain and ask for it to be re-done, or serviced by another shop. I would speak with your insurance adjuster as I'm sure they have satisfaction policies, etc that will hold the shop accountable. Of course the shop will put up a fight, but that's not your problem. Be a P.I.T.A, imho.

EDIT: I have a J7 Magentic Metallic Ford Fusion -- same color as my GT350 -- that has had some paint repair several times. I have never noticed issues with the color-match or blending with the rest of the panel. Find a good paint shop!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would check that the front of the hood and the rear of the front clip are at identical heights (easy adjustment to the hood latch).

If they are at slightly different heights, it also puts the angle of the adjoining panels slightly different - those two issues added together can have quite a dramatic difference in how the colour looks / how a camera captures it :like:

You can see how much I had to raise my hood :

IMG_3654.jpg

To get the heights / angles correct :

IMG_3664.jpg

WD :like:

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'd take that back. There is no reason it shouldn't be a perfect match with todays color matching technology paint shops have. And if they tell you that the plastic holds the color differently than metal then ask them why the back bumper matches.
I've had 3 bumpers painted over the years and all of them matched perfectly.
Sponsored