Sponsored

Pad for occasional track use?

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I went to the track for the first time a couple of weeks ago and had an absolute blast. I'm in the middle of prepping my car for the next time, I have a double header booked in early april.

In preparation today, I replaced my worn pads with spares I had bought earlier this year before I started tracking. They are power stop z26. I just read a bit that many people do not like this pad for the track.

Anyone with direct experience? Would this pad be okay for two track days? Should I try and priority ship a separate pad so that I can get them replaced before the next track day? Any pads that work well with the factory rotors? I don't care about being super fast... I'm mainly concerned with being safe and longevity.

This is a weekend and track car, I do not daily commute in it, so any recommendations for that kind of usage would be great.
Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I think you're going to overheat the pads and they'll just deteriorate leaving you with no stopping power. If you're running in novice and just learning for the day... you may be okay but I wouldn't risk. it. The Z26 are strictly a street pad.

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2016 Shelby GT350 "FPRS #9"
You can’t beat stock for all around performance on street and track. I have 7200 miles on my stock set, which include about 15 track days and counting. People switch to power stop for “less dust” but you also end up with less performance.

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Most street pads, just do not survive track use, especially when you start to get quicker. There are a host of pads that are good for the track, but still "streetable" (true race pads are not good for the street as they need to be hot to work well). The pad I have had the most experience with on track is the Padgid Yellow, after trying a few others before, that did not survive (note, Im an experienced road racer).

Hopefully you have also bled your brakes, and upgrading to a track worthy brake fluid.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a set of Raybestos ST43. Seems a number of people praise their longevity while only getting a few hours of track time out of the stockers.

Will definitely be doing fluids! Already sitting in the garage.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ordered a set of Raybestos ST43. Seems a number of people praise their longevity while only getting a few hours of track time out of the stockers.

Will definitely be doing fluids! Already sitting in the garage.
Are the ST43s back in stock? I know they were a bit hard to get for a while. Good pad.

If you stock is an issue, I suggest the Cobalts. I run the XR1/XR2 combo, but that would be too much for street tires. XR2/XR3 for cup2s and XR3/XR4 for 200+ TW tires would be good.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hey OP, If your shopping around for a different set of pad(s)...

I currently use Hawk DCT 60's F and the HP+ R. They work well for my skill level but I don't drive much on the street. Just a heads up though they dust up and are noisy.

Next set are DCT-70 F & R that I have in the garage already.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are the ST43s back in stock? I know they were a bit hard to get for a while. Good pad.

If you stock is an issue, I suggest the Cobalts. I run the XR1/XR2 combo, but that would be too much for street tires. XR2/XR3 for cup2s and XR3/XR4 for 200+ TW tires would be good.
They showed as in stock at "LPI Racing", though now I am concerned they are not actually in stock and it will tell me they have not shipped too late for me to do any other options.

Those cobalts look great, but are pretty freaking expensive.

dem00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Ruby Red
I did the GLCO R12/R10 for a season, they worked pretty well. I'm actually running the PowerStop Track Day Spec pads on the front, I'm not sure how I feel about them, I've only done a weekend at NCM and about to do another weekend on NCM.

Stock pads do well on stock tires, but when you switch to a 200TW or better, a pad upgrade is ideal.

Keeping up with constant brake fluid flushes is also the move!

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a set of R12 for the front....will order a rear set of R10s for rear assuming I keep using them when the stocks wear out.

I'm doubtful LPI, the shop I'd never heard of, actually has the Raybestos.... Hopefully one of the sets arrives in time. If I end up with both, I can resell to someone on the forum.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've GLOC- won't ever touch them again. 2/3 sets I ran the pad fell off the backing plate on me. The Cobalts are worth the $$$. They lasted as long as the Raybestos but with tons more bite.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've GLOC- won't ever touch them again. 2/3 sets I ran the pad fell off the backing plate on me. The Cobalts are worth the $$$. They lasted as long as the Raybestos but with tons more bite.
Oh man....bummer.

Hard to be a newbie (first world problems). I want them to last because I don't have caliper studs or anything to make mounting easier, and changing pads once already was a PITA for me (my pad spreader from AutoZone was either shit or I don't understand geometrically how to line it up, and lining the caliper back up to mount was a pain). But, I also kinda don't want to dump tons of money into race stuff....

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Oh man....bummer.

Hard to be a newbie (first world problems). I want them to last because I don't have caliper studs or anything to make mounting easier, and changing pads once already was a PITA for me (my pad spreader from AutoZone was either shit or I don't understand geometrically how to line it up, and lining the caliper back up to mount was a pain). But, I also kinda don't want to dump tons of money into race stuff....
I mean this with the best intentions, but don't try to cheap out. This is a 3800lb, $65K, 500+ HP car capable of 150mph on a fast road course. You really shouldnt try to be cost effective with brakes, tires, or safety gear. It's not worth it and will only ruin your track days (eventually) or worse. If you want to have fun with a street setup, the OEM parts are good - the stock pads are plenty capable on track and cost effective. The OEM 2019 spec cup2s grip enough to have fun, but will last several days.

With track days, you HAVE to pay to play. Don't take shortcuts--you'll regret it eventually.

Trust me, I get it. I've been there. And I've had to re-buy literally everything that I bought trying to be cheap.

Crossi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Agree with the “you get what you pay for”. You do not want to skimp on the things that will keep you off of the walls! I run Hawk DTC-60’s front and rear(run them on the gt350 as well as the M4.) I coupled that with castrol SRF race fluid(completely bleed the lines. Might take two quarts but worth it). Huge difference over stock or whatever was in the car. It is a pain to swap the front pads back out after a track day but definitely worth it.
Sponsored