P0420 & P0430 at same time

OP
OP

Thats550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Any gas additives used or anything? Really kind of rare to have them both go South at the same time.
so I did have a 2 step that I installed and used like maybe at the most 10 time before I started getting codes and took it off. I did add some cataclean after getting these codes to try n maybe clean things out some but other than that no
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
How many miles on your car. The feds make the auto manufacturers warrant the cats for 8 years and 80,000 miles.

OP
OP

Thats550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
How many miles on your car. The feds make the auto manufacturers warrant the cats for 8 years and 80,000 miles.
My vehicle has 43k miles it's a 2017 but it has rebuilt title. Only from minor front end damage so im not sure if that would apply anymore. But if we are for sure it's my cats I'll replace em, or delete em.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My vehicle has 43k miles it's a 2017 but it has rebuilt title. Only from minor front end damage so im not sure if that would apply anymore. But if we are for sure it's my cats I'll replace em, or delete em.
I don't think that will affect the Federal Emissions Warranty. Take it to the dealership and let them play with it.

ZZMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP 2019 Mustang GT PP2
It will be up to the dealer if they want to honor emissions on a branded title.

Depending on two-step usage, you may have kicked the substrate out of them. You can always drop the mid pipes and inspect the cats.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I don't think that will affect the Federal Emissions Warranty. Take it to the dealership and let them play with it.
It actually does void any and all warranties including Federal Emissions warranties.

https://wtop.com/consumer-news/2022/03/edmunds-what-actions-can-void-your-new-car-warranty/

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
OP
OP

Thats550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Interesting okay I mean it can't hurt to see

OP
OP

Thats550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
Interesting okay I mean it can't hurt to see
Never-ending I see. Well ya I can inspect the cats and see if it is the cats I'll probably get long tubes and annexhuast set up

Sponsored
OP
OP

Thats550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
It will be up to the dealer if they want to honor emissions on a branded title.

Depending on two-step usage, you may have kicked the substrate out of them. You can always drop the mid pipes and inspect the cats.
I never went very hard on the 2 step and never used it for more than a few seconds at a time I was actually very careful with it and as soon as I seen a check engine light I took it off. But sometimes in the morning when I start the mustang I smell gas from the exhaust

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
These cats are notoriously fragile, you almost certainly damaged them with 2 step sorry to say. I damaged mine with burbles. My driver side was totally toast and my passenger side was barely hanging on.

What likely happened is that the substrates cracked and gasses are passing by the catalyst. I'm with everyone else, looking at those logs your cats are toast, I wouldn't waste money on sensors.

OP
OP

Thats550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
These cats are notoriously fragile, you almost certainly damaged them with 2 step sorry to say. I damaged mine with burbles. My driver side was totally toast and my passenger side was barely hanging on.

What likely happened is that the substrates cracked and gasses are passing by the catalyst. I'm with everyone else, looking at those logs your cats are toast, I wouldn't waste money on sensors.
Okay well thank you for helping me diagnose. I'm gunna hopefully go with long tube headers and maybe mbrp or corsa muffles but I'll need to get a tune if I do headers correct? Would I be able to drive 150 miles this weekend or will I need to get it fixed first will it cause more damage. I'm gunna order everything these next few days but won't be able to get it all by this weekend

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
As long as the cats are not plugged up you should be ok

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Okay well thank you for helping me diagnose. I'm gunna hopefully go with long tube headers and maybe mbrp or corsa muffles but I'll need to get a tune if I do headers correct? Would I be able to drive 150 miles this weekend or will I need to get it fixed first will it cause more damage. I'm gunna order everything these next few days but won't be able to get it all by this weekend
I did the same thing, headers were cheaper than OEM replacements so I went with that. I did Kooks.

You don't need a tune right away, it will throw P0420/P0430 but nothing bad will happen. You can drive on it as is it will be fine. I had to drive on mine for over a month before I could get the headers done.
Sponsored