P0300/P0304 Misfires help!

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Need some help guys. Just had my stock clutch and flywheel replaced at the dealership at 27,000 miles. My car for engine mods only has a JLT intake, Lethal Performance catless midpipes, and a Lund tune. I have had those three things done since the car had 5000 miles and never once had any issue. I also had the AC compressor and a few vacuum lines replaced at the same time as the clutch. I got the car back on Thursday and drove 100 miles home with no issue. But I took it easy on it, and didn't ever go above 4500 rpm. On Friday my friends and I decided to head to the canyons. It's about 60 miles to get where we were gonna start. Didn't go above 4500rpm heading there and had no issue.

As soon as we started going up the canyons, I went above 5000 and the check engine light started flashing. I pulled over and ran the code and came up with P0300, cylinder misfire. Didn't specify which cylinder. Thought maybe a fluke, so let it sit for 10 min, reset the code and took off again. Made it about 3 miles and again, as soon as I started going above 5k rpm, it came up flashing again. Ran it again and this time came up with P0300 and P0304, misfire on cylinder 4. So disconnected the battery, let it sit for 20 minutes to clear out any left over power, cleared the code and drove it home taking it easy on the highway with no issues on the way back.

My friend is a service advisor and I called him and he found this TSB. It doesn't have the GT350's listed, but has the exact issue I'm having. Guessing maybe our cars aren't listed because they are so new.

Has anyone else replaced their clutch and flywheel and had a similar issue? The second time I got the code, I disconnected the battery to see if it would reset and relearn, and then my friend sent me this pic and it states doing that won't work. I went through the NGauge to see if there was a setting where I could reset the KAM. I couldn't find it. I hope to find a way to fix this myself without taking it in, because I know if I do, as soon as they hook it up to the computers, it'll see my tune and flag my car. It has to be something they did, because before this past month it has been with them, I've had no issues in 27000 miles and I drive my car hard as shit.

My understanding is that when dropping the trans to replace the clutch and flywheel, that the crank can be slightly rotated throwing off the timing. It used to be that it could be relearned by disconnecting the battery, but now that doesn't work and it has to be connected to the IDS system at the dealership. Not sure on this, but that's how I read and have understood it.

Also, I'm thinking about swapping my spark plugs for some new ones. Anyone have any recommendations for some that won't break the bank or require a new tune? And this car only takes 8 I'm assuming right? My 2016 Scatpack Charger I have for my daily has 16 spark plugs.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully this can help out some others too that are doing the same services.

kRku8T.jpg
Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
......It has to be something they did, because before this past month it has been with them, I've had no issues in 27000 miles and I drive my car hard as shit.

My understanding is that when dropping the trans to replace the clutch and flywheel, that the crank can be slightly rotated throwing off the timing. It used to be that it could be relearned by disconnecting the battery, but now that doesn't work and it has to be connected to the IDS system at the dealership. Not sure on this, but that's how I read and have understood it.
I agree it might have to do with the clutch replacement, but I doubt the crank rotation would play any part in messing up timing. If the crank rotates, so do the cams, etc. as long as they didn't pull the timing chain/belt (don't know which this car has). The only way I could see crank rotation playing a role is if there is a minimum/maximum weight mark that should be lined up with the corresponding marks on the flywheel/clutch. I know my WRX had a max (or min, can't remember) mark on the clutch and flywheel that needed to be opposed (180 degrees) for balance.

If it is misfire, is that diagnosed by the knock sensor? If so, something loose could be misinterpreted by the knock sensor as knock - maybe a loose bolt, etc.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Dude u need to do a crank relearn,I have been through this.Also if u are using a sct to.do the relearn u need to ask Lund if they have code po315 turned off,if they do the sct will.say the crank relearn was sucessful but trust me it's not.U can cause engine damage driving your car this way so u need to get a proper crank relearn done.Also if the dealer says they are having problems doing the crank relearn u might have to do it with your stock tune in

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Theirs is a trigger wheel behind the flywheel that if gets moved the relearn has to be done.Also if the flywheel was chaanged.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Why not take it to the dealer? The issue is most likely caused by something they forgot to do during the clutch replacement.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Theirs is a trigger wheel behind the flywheel that if gets moved the relearn has to be done.Also if the flywheel was chaanged.
Thanks for setting it straight - you learn something new everyday.

I didn't realize the sensor and pulse ring/trigger wheel were at the rear of the engine rather than at the front. I could see how that would get mis-aligned during a flywheel/clutch install. I found a pic on the american muscle website:
Crank Position.jpg

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
Yup the round trigger wheel.can just fall right off when pulling the flywheel off.If u don't put it back.in the same spot it will trigger misfire codes.

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Got it resolved last night. I have an NGauge with a Lund tune. I updated the NGauge to the new firmware and it now has the option to do a crank relearn. Did that about 9pm and headed to the canyons and tested it. No issue and the check engine light nor the misfires came back. I've never had to replace a clutch or flywheel in a car before so didn't know about all this. Just annoying that these dealerships don't know what or how to properly do something.

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Got it resolved last night. I have an NGauge with a Lund tune. I updated the NGauge to the new firmware and it now has the option to do a crank relearn. Did that about 9pm and headed to the canyons and tested it. No issue and the check engine light nor the misfires came back. I've never had to replace a clutch or flywheel in a car before so didn't know about all this. Just annoying that these dealerships don't know what or how to properly do something.

Hey Tat...glad you got things worked out quickly. One thought though on that final sentence of your statement above....it is not reasonable to expect the dealer to account for your aftermarket tune when they perform maintenance work on your car. Being a noobie to cars like this I have read every word of Ford documentation that came with my car and warranties...they are replete with warnings that Ford is not responsible for issues caused by our mod choices.

It sounds to me like the dealer did a proper part replacement and your aftermarket tune required an extra step that caught you unaware. Thanks for sharing with the community.

OP
OP
Tat2bass

Tat2bass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT350
Hey Tat...glad you got things worked out quickly. One thought though on that final sentence of your statement above....it is not reasonable to expect the dealer to account for your aftermarket tune when they perform maintenance work on your car. Being a noobie to cars like this I have read every word of Ford documentation that came with my car and warranties...they are replete with warnings that Ford is not responsible for issues caused by our mod choices.

It sounds to me like the dealer did a proper part replacement and your aftermarket tune required an extra step that caught you unaware. Thanks for sharing with the community.
The tune had nothing to do with the issue. The issue was after replacing the flywheel they didn't do the relearn. The relearn is supposed to be done regardless. The tune has no bearing on that. My tuner just allowed me to do it myself rather than having to take it back to them.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
I'm glad you got a quick resolution and that it wasn't that difficult to do the re-learn. Also glad to know it is required if replacing the flywheel - I wouldn't have known where to start looking if I had the same issue. After [MENTION=9456]Tommy V[/MENTION] suggestions and google, it looks like a pretty standard problem. But like I said, I would have had no idea.

Always glad to learn - especially from others rather than first hand!

Do you think it is possible to do the re-learn with an OBD-II scan tool or Forscan? Or do you need a tuning device/Ford specific diagnostic equipment?

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
The tune had nothing to do with the issue. The issue was after replacing the flywheel they didn't do the relearn. The relearn is supposed to be done regardless. The tune has no bearing on that. My tuner just allowed me to do it myself rather than having to take it back to them.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet from a warranty perpective then...should probably be glad they didn't hook it up to their system and see your tune. Or maybe they followed SOP and it didn't take because of the mod. Either way glad it all worked out for you. Good data point to know

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad you got a quick resolution and that it wasn't that difficult to do the re-learn. Also glad to know it is required if replacing the flywheel - I wouldn't have known where to start looking if I had the same issue. After [MENTION=9456]Tommy V[/MENTION] suggestions and google, it looks like a pretty standard problem. But like I said, I would have had no idea.

Always glad to learn - especially from others rather than first hand!

Do you think it is possible to do the re-learn with an OBD-II scan tool or Forscan? Or do you need a tuning device/Ford specific diagnostic equipment?
Most good scan tools do relearns,forscan does for sure.

RR350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
H2043 / HR650
P0300 and P0306

Got in the car this morning and noticed a check engine light. Turned it on and everything seemed normal, no weird noises or rough idle. Brought it up to the dealership anyways, throwing a P0300 and P0306, Random Misfire is what I was told and Ford is requesting a Compression Test. Didn't want to start a new thread on this so I just revived this one. Anyone's car thrown these codes before? If so what was the Culprit / Fix? I have no mods and the original flywheel / Clutch assembly with about 24k Miles on them. Hoping this isn't going to be an engine replacement :(

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Got in the car this morning and noticed a check engine light. Turned it on and everything seemed normal, no weird noises or rough idle. Brought it up to the dealership anyways, throwing a P0300 and P0306, Random Misfire is what I was told and Ford is requesting a Compression Test. Didn't want to start a new thread on this so I just revived this one. Anyone's car thrown these codes before? If so what was the Culprit / Fix? I have no mods and the original flywheel / Clutch assembly with about 24k Miles on them. Hoping this isn't going to be an engine replacement :(
From the '16 Helm:

P0300 - Random Misfire Detected

Description: This DTC sets when the misfire detection monitor detects an engine misfire in multiple cylinders or the PCM cannot identify which cylinder is misfiring.

Possible Causes:
  • Damaged camshaft position (CMP) sensor
  • Low fuel (less than 1/8 tank)
  • Stuck open exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve
  • Restricted EGR passages
  • Misfire monitor neutral profile correction has not been relearned since the last mechanical repair

Diagnostic Aids: One or more EGR passages may be restricted.

Description: This DTC sets when the misfire detection monitor detects an engine misfire in cylinder 6.

Possible Causes:
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel injector 6
  • Running out of fuel
  • EVAP purge valve
  • Fuel pressure
  • Evaporative emission system
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Base engine
  • Misfire monitor neutral profile correction has not been relearned since the last mechanical repair

Diagnostic Aids: Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, incorrect fuel metering, low compression, or any other cause.

The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) blinks once per second when a misfire severe enough to cause catalyst damage is detected. If the MIL is on steady state due to a misfire, this indicates the threshold for emissions was exceeded and caused the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.
===============================================

I think I have posted similar codes before. It might be as simple as an electrical pin connection...

Good Luck [MENTION=26503]RR350[/MENTION], please keep us posted.
Sponsored

Last edited: