Sponsored

Owners under 40 years old.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I want to know how many M6G Members used to ride genuine Horse and Buggies and had their mail delivered by the Pony Express... do I see a wave of hands?

Me, not 40 but still a bit below 50...but gonna add my input.
——

Not understanding the MACHe thread OR the *possible* reduction of V8 engines (which will never happen) - the M6G Member (reader or poster) has to be between the ages of 17-25. Folks who are in their early 30’s to 40+ “get it” and most of them have either owned at least 1 Mustang (or multiple Mustangs by now). It’s been said for many years that folks who buy a Muscle Car are those same folks who can afford that car now, the one they wish they could have afforded when they were in High School.

So, if you were one who entered High School in 1986, the 1965 Mustang was only 21 years old, not even a Classic (yet). The original 5.0 era was just breaking ground and the Fox Mustangs were HOT. The 5.0 Aftermarket was at it’s inception (waaaaay back, the now known Ford Performance started out as Ford Motorsport). There were hardly any dedicated Mustang magazines and “Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords” was also in its infancy and then there were the all out Drag Wars (for those who remember the Mustang vs GN and Mustang vs Camaro days). High Schoolers of that era were essentially spawned from the prior Generation of Hippie Kids. So when just getting into HS in 1986, kids of that era already “grew up” seeing, hearing, knowing about and wanting the original 65-70’s Mustangs, but when the 85/86 Mustang GT’s debuted, they were kings of the Original 5.0 Movement - THOSE were the Mustangs everyone wanted during that time period.

I don’t expect today’s younger Mustang Enthusiasts to know the complete historical significance of the Ford Mustang, or even know of the massive Letter Writing Campaign that saved the Mustang back in 1994. However, the MACHe will NEVER be a true Mustang despite what the younger EV Enthusiasts will see it as in 10-20 years from today. The folks who post up and portray the “who cares” attitude that “Mustang” is just a name for a car or that a “Mustang SUV” is what people want just aren’t true die hard Ford Mustang Enthusiasts.

The Ford Mustang is not just another car; to some folks, those that have owned multiple Mustangs over the years, who modify or upgrade, those that race (drag, road or auto cross), those that belong to multiple online Mustang forums, those that belong to Mustang Clubs, those who restore them, those who tune them, those who built an empire (Steeda, LMR, CJ’s, etc) and those that collect Mustang memorabilia, it’s a hobby, it’s a passion, it’s a stress reliever, it’s giving back knowledge to those who need the help and to some that Mustang and it’s memories get passed down from Generation to Generation as if it is a part of the family.

So I don’t fault the Mustang newbies for not understanding or being as passionate as some of us are about it’s legacy and the importance of it’s heritage.

This is a thread I posted a few years back on Corral.net where I’m still an active member. Take some time to read it, it goes to show how much of an impact the Mustang had (and still has) for folks who wanted that new 5.0 back in the 80’s-90’s and what it means to be part of and to experience the Original 5.0 Movement that brings us forward to today’s S550 era which is stronger than ever...

I know some of you will enjoy the many memories posted in this below thread, which now has over 440 posts and 48k views to date:
https://www.corral.net/threads/for-those-around-from-the-original-5-0-movement-post-up.1152527/

Hopefully the younger Mustang Enthusiasts will continue to carry the same passion and keep the Mustang from being further diluted by Ford.

(IMO, the V8 has too large of a following that if any Major Automotive Manufacturer were to cease production, they would feel massive consumer blow back. Not to mention, the current day aftermarket V8 engine builders are not just going to stop and close shop.)
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I’m <40 and I don’t care about the heritage or whatever. It’s a car that checked the boxes that I wanted. I’m a huge fan of the 5.0 and the 2018 upgrade is the right level of modern for me. I had a 2013 and 2014 GT, and just like my 2019, they checked the boxes. The Mach E doesn’t bother me. Potentially dropping the V8 doesn’t bother me.

I’m also extremely broad with what I like. If I think a car is cool then it’s cool. I like donk, stance, promods on the street, exotics, muscle, euro, Japanese, whatever. Cool is cool to me. No brand loyalty, no conniption fits over heritage, I just like cars. I could see a Ferrari F40 parked next to a really well done donk or stance car and think they are both awesome.

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
36. First Mustang and first American car, been all about German hot hatches and Japanese tuner cars my whole life so this was a huge leap. I got my gripes with it for sure(dodgy build quality, interior design, questionable reliability of a 3rd gen coyote), but it’s the best sounding and quickest thing I’ve personally owned. Especially with the orange fury paint and lowering it an inch all around the car is gorgeous from the outside too. Also, the aftermarket is insane and prices and availability are great!

Would I buy another? I’d definitely buy a GT500 for sure and I’m curious about the next gen, but unless they cut weight and spruce up the interior a little I might give it a pass. Owning one has opened my eyes though, never thought I would be the type of guy to own a pony car but I’m glad I gave it a shot!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I turned 28 6 minutes ago lol. Without really getting into it, I bought a 97 coupe when I was 17 and out of necessity had to pretty much swap everything out but the body. 302 from a 95 GT, heads and IM from a newer explorer, L/T headers, rebuilt the t5 trans with beefier internals. It was a fun car until the engine needed a full rebuild. I never got around to it and used the money I saved up for a sizable downpayment on my 19MY.

My dad was also a big Mustang fan, although he never owned one in my lifetime, but he loved talking about his old fox bodies so that's where a lot of it came from.

Ha, funny story. My dad always used to tell me about how the first car that ever smoked him was a grand national. Last summer I'm out taking my dad for a joyride when, and I shit you not, a grand national pulls up beside me at a light. We both go for it and I had him up through 2nd and then he just... blew passed me. My dad busted out laughing saying "THAT'S EXACTLY HOW IT HAPPENED TO ME!" So I guess my family's name is forever cursed to lose to grand nationals.
Happy Birthday.. that’s an awesome story!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This is a thread I posted a few years back on Corral.net where I’m still an active member. Take some time to read it, it goes to show how much of an impact the Mustang had (and still has) for folks who wanted that new 5.0 back in the 80’s-90’s and what it means to be part of and to experience the Original 5.0 Movement that brings us forward to today’s S550 era which is stronger than ever...

I know some of you will enjoy the many memories posted in this below thread, which now has over 440 posts and 48k views to date:
https://www.corral.net/threads/for-those-around-from-the-original-5-0-movement-post-up.1152527/

Hopefully the younger Mustang Enthusiasts will continue to carry the same passion and keep the Mustang from being further diluted by Ford.
Thanks for posting that. That’s an excellent example of what these cars bring to the table.. it’s a lifestyle for many of us and nothing short of that.

I recognize your name on Corral. I used to post on there and StangNet day in and day out.

Definitely cool to see some familiar names again on that forum.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
24. Been a Mustang fan most of my life. My 1970 was around all my life as a shell waiting to be restored. Restored it begining when I was 15. Purchased a 15 as a daily when 19 and kept that throughout college. Got an 18 GT shortly after I graduated but unfortunately powers outside of my control took it away (totaled due to another driver). Got a 16 V6 as an interim car until I figured the redesigned S650 would be released. Obviously that is now delayed so I went a different route. Fully intend to jump back into a mustang as soon as Ford decides what the hell they are doing with it and it is actually worth it....

Until then I have my 70 Fastback to keep the need met for a Mustang in the garage.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
32. I care...but don't. But do. But just also know it is what it is. Personally I believe ICE and electric can and SHOULD also live in harmony. There's some very good reasons to have a hybrid. Witness LaFerrari, etc.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I just turned 37 but I've been a car nerd since I was a kid. Weather it be a Mustang, Vette, Viper, Lambo etc.

But it is true, more teens now days don't care as much about cars, let alone driving them.
Why should you when you have uber and lyft to drive you around. Or hell why do you need to go anywhere when you have the amazon, Ebay social media.
Then Waiter and Uber eats to get you food!!!!!!!
See where I'm going with this. hahaah

It sucks, but I don't see it changing.
I can see exactly where you're taking this, and your points are well taken.

I have to drop down TWO generations to get to any direct descendants who are under 40. From that, I think what I can add is that while those under 40 can certainly be intellectually aware of the Mustang's history, it's not quite the same as actually having been there. There are a few mental videos that I can still play to myself about driving a friend's Mustang that I doubt I could explain in full detail to anybody, let alone to anybody who has never been in a 1960's Mustang.

Norm

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
38 here. First mustang at 19.. Loved them since the first time i saw a cammed fox- body with flowmasters leave a stop sign and melt the tires for 500 feet when i was about 8!

Being in the auto field, its hard for me to embrace hyrbrid/electric technology. It is going to require a whole different train of thought/repair/tools, but i also understand that things change and we must adapt with the times. To me a Mustang is truly internal combustion, the smell, the feel, the sound! I just find it hard to imagine a Mustang being as exciting with a whirring electric motor vs. the roar of a throaty V8, no matter how fast and torquey an electric vehicle may be.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The real question is not how many people on a Mustang forum under 40 understand what a Mustang is. I think all of you are really cool, but most of you have a connection to your cars, or cars in general in one form or another. The real question is what your "normal" day to day millennial's and GenZ'ers think. That said I see a lot of kids at car events all the time so I believe there is hope for the young-ins'

Thought you might find this of interest.
Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 9.30.02 AM.png

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
24. Been a Mustang fan most of my life. My 1970 was around all my life as a shell waiting to be restored. Restored it begining when I was 15. Purchased a 15 as a daily when 19 and kept that throughout college. Got an 18 GT shortly after I graduated but unfortunately powers outside of my control took it away (totaled due to another driver). Got a 16 V6 as an interim car until I figured the redesigned S650 would be released. Obviously that is now delayed so I went a different route. Fully intend to jump back into a mustang as soon as Ford decides what the hell they are doing with it and it is actually worth it....

Until then I have my 70 Fastback to keep the need met for a Mustang in the garage.
Mach 1 :idea::) Come on Zack, you know you want one.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The real question is not how many people on a Mustang forum under 40 understand what a Mustang is. I think all of you are really cool, but most of you have a connection to your cars, or cars in general in one form or another. The real question is what your "normal" day to day millennial's and GenZ'ers think. That said I see a lot of kids at car events all the time so I believe there is hope for the young-ins'
There will ALWAYS be people who love cars. But those who find a car NECESSARY is starting to dwindle. Case in point, I'm kinda sorta talking to a girl right now who's 20 and she respects my love for cars but she couldn't care less about having one around. She isn't against it, she just doesn't care or want to deal with one.

And what fuels the need to have cars like the Mustang and Camaro are generally a healthy portfolio with good sales, revenue, engineering capability, and the need to trickle down and/or have a brand statement. The Mustang is absolutely a brand statement. As is Corvette. Mary Barra recently just came out saying GM is losing laughable money for every new C8 Vette that isn't an 2LT trim or higher with a few options. It's a brand statement. But quarterly earnings calls come first and if a car company is bleeding out of their eyes and ears, guess what goes first?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Mach 1 :idea::) Come on Zack, you know you want one.
Not if it is just a re-branded bullitt with a $40k+ price tag!!!

Haha half tempted to consider that hybrid model if it is a TT V6 instead of the EB4 (doubtful...) or if Ford goes to the impossible, EV!

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I'm 26 and was deciding between a used GT350 that would have been a stripper or a nicely optioned brand new GT.

Went with the GT because I couldn't stand the base model interior and (my wife) wasn't feeling the idea of spending closer to 50k OTD lol.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
38 and lifelong Mustang fan. Owned over 75 different 'Stangs over the years. This one I'm hoping to keep around for a while as long as it doesn't give me trouble.
Sponsored