Sponsored

Ordering a new car. If you could have either the B&O stereo or active exhaust?

86pagt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
I have both....when first searching for a mustang I felt I didn’t need either. I figured I would buy a complete exhaust system... now I’m glad I got the AE.. (I did do an x-pipe) and not so excited on the BO but it will work for me... maybe a subwoofer change will help.
Sponsored

01Romanss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible 6 Speed PP1
I have both. I rarely listen to music with the car's exhaust note. I also put a Steeda h-pipe on the car and I really need the active exhaust. It's just right in normal mode. It is glorious in sport and track mode. I already replaced my B&O subwoofer. It was lame.

AE all the way over BO!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What I get from this thread, is that serious audiophiles are the ones interested in the B&O system, and pay for it.

But the B&O system isn't really up to the standards for serious audiophiles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What I get from this thread, is that serious audiophiles are the ones interested in the B&O system, and pay for it.

You make a good point. I was in the audio industry for many years. I was selling 6 figure audio systems back before VHS video even came out. The was "high end" audio. "Audiophile" and car audio was/is an oxymoron. Just the environment alone prevented any car system from being accurate. Now that's not to say you cannot build one hell of a system. I had dealers who did incredible work and created remarkable sound. But audiophile quality, no way.

Now the Sync 3/B&O speaker system is more than decent, for a car. For someone who does not want to replace/add speakers, amps, DSP's, etc. it does a reasonable job. It all depends on what you are looking for.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
really the only difference from 9 to 12 speaker b/o system is.

the door fronts 6.5 are 2ohm vs 4ohm 9 speaker
rear is 2ohm two way 6.5's vs 4ohm 9 speaker 1 way 6.5's
different amp and a subwoofer.

thats it. the other speakers are all the same.

he really could get away with just adding a sub/amp and disable factory eq, I bet he would be ecstatic. + (highly suggest at least covering center speaker with a heavy towel or blanket to hear the difference) it sounds better without it. at least with factory eq disabled.

this would be better than OEM sub and its all in one easy peezy, easy removal as well, https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p300-12/ & https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007AQ2W6W just run power wire for it use an LoC, and run high level from a speaker into this.

I also read some of the newer cars, even though don't have 12 speaker cars or subs, have the wiring already in trunk, which means you could simply tap the signal wire for the original sub, right there if your car has the harness. plug and play basically other than running a power wire from engine bay.
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 1.49.20 PM.png

these guys talk about it, and have pics of it in their mustang6g car
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...get-amplifier-sub-to-base-audio-system.58685/

1611601003711.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
really the only difference from 9 to 12 speaker b/o system is.

the door fronts 6.5 are 2ohm vs 4ohm 9 speaker
rear is 2ohm two way 6.5's vs 4ohm 9 speaker 1 way 6.5's
different amp and a subwoofer.

thats it. the other speakers are all the same.

he really could get away with just adding a sub/amp and disable factory eq, I bet he would be ecstatic. + (highly suggest at least covering center speaker with a heavy towel or blanket to hear the difference) it sounds better without it. at least with factory eq disabled.
When I first started shopping for my 19' I found a car exactly what I wanted except it only had the stock 9 speaker system. Since I had the Shaker system in my 15' I wasn't sure it was going to be enough. I test drove a car with the 9 speaker and it was great, for listening to AM news and weather. Not even close to my old Shaker system. Then test drove a car with the B&O system. At least to my old ears it was night and day. Whatever they did made for a significantly better experience. I was also able to use CD's which, by itself, made quite a difference. Again just to my ears.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Have you been to the dealership and sat in a car with and without the B & O?
Do that.
If you are looking for bass heavy sound, it is not that.
I do find it clearer and more detailed but it is not bass heavy. As others have said, it is not audiophile quality but it is better than the base.

For me, it is leaps and bounds better than what I have had in the past. Of course I was coming from a Scion TC stereo, a base '95 Maxima, etc. Only my old benzi-box Alpine unit sounded better but that was aftermarket and a hell of a head unit back in the early 90's. You are usually better off with an aftermarket than what is sold in the car.

The part you will hate about the active exhaust is that you are always going to have to either change your driving mode or drill into menus and change it. After a while, you will want to break it so it stays in Sport+ or Track mode. I like it for the auto quiet mode but otherwise I would rather have just done an exhaust.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....the Sync 3/B&O speaker system is more than decent, for a car. For someone who does not want to replace/add speakers, amps, DSP's, etc. it does a reasonable job. It all depends on what you are looking for.
That's what I'm figuring. Thanks for making my point better than I could. :cwl: :cwl:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I implore all of you who have 9 speaker systems and are meh, disable factory EQ with forescan, I toot my horn because its a massive difference. can revert in a few clicks if you don't like the sound difference. Sounds like the 18+ 9 speaker B & O has some nice sound without it disabled, if thats the case, toss in a little subwoofer and enjoy the lows thats missing.

if you really want the AE, go for it. I think it' is easier to improve the 9 speaker system, than to add the components/coding/etc to get AE later. and far cheaper for radio.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Dang it, you described me.

OP
OP

LeroyJohsan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don’t see myself every upgrading it from stock so that’s why I’m on the fence.

I have head the base stereo and I don’t care for it much but I haven’t heard the stock exhaust.

OP
OP

LeroyJohsan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Does it get annoying at all to have to switch the mode every time you drive?
Sponsored