Sponsored

Order tires from Costco for delayed mounting?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have a set of 19x10 Apex wheels on order with expected delivery in early May. Going to run Michelin PS4s like I have on my factory wheels (just different sizes).

Costco has a $150/set discount on Michelin thru May 12th (or about). Discount is for purchase with mounting. I can buy a set online now for May 5th delivery to store but probably won't have the wheels by then or even May 12th.

See any potential problems delaying the mounting? Tire dept doesn't answer their phone.

And I'm thinking I should order a set of TPMS. The factory ones are over 5 years old now. Would rather not have to dis/re- mount the new set of tires down the road if the factory TPMS batteries don't last as long as the new tires do. How do I confirm the manufactured or use by dates of new ones?

Will be nice to be able to rotate tires now. Plus more tread depth. For who knows why the 275/40 PS4s rears I have now came with 1 less 32nd of tread than other sizes.

1682210311118.png
Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I did the same back in January when they had the deal going on, but I only waited about a week. If I remember correctly there was a statement about how long they'll hold the tires for appointment when you order online.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I did the same back in January when they had the deal going on, but I only waited about a week. If I remember correctly there was a statement about how long they'll hold the tires for appointment when you order online.
Thanks.

Guess I'll wait until the end of the sale (or wheels arrive) and order the tires. The only way that could go wrong is if 19" 285/35s are out of stock everywhere by then.

Anyone know if Costco will accept orders for tires that are backordered?

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I have a Costco membership but never bought tires from them nor had them mounted there.

Is mounting included with tire purchase? If so , why can’t you just accept the tires and store them at home until the wheels come in then take it back for them to mount?

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Thanks.

Guess I'll wait until the end of the sale (or wheels arrive) and order the tires. The only way that could go wrong is if 19" 285/35s are out of stock everywhere by then.

Anyone know if Costco will accept orders for tires that are backordered?
I wouldn't wait. Stop by your local store and talk in person. The guys at my Costco were super cool. Chances are they'll do whatever is needed to make sure you're happy. The policy is there to prevent the backroom from becoming a warehouse, but if they know an expected or anticipated date they'll likely work with you. In my case they were all car guys and just having the opportunity to work with our cars is big bonus vs the typical Camry's and SUV's they see daily.

Sponsored

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
I have a Costco membership but never bought tires from them nor had them mounted there.

Is mounting included with tire purchase? If so , why can’t you just accept the tires and store them at home until the wheels come in then take it back for them to mount?
Mounting is included and required to ensure you're not buying and selling tires to non members. That's why they won't allow you to carry out unmounted tires at Costco prices.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Mounting is included and required to ensure you're not buying and selling tires to non members. That's why they won't allow you to carry out unmounted tires at Costco prices.
Oh okay. Makes sense. Thanks for explaining that.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I wouldn't wait. Stop by your local store and talk in person. The guys at my Costco were super cool. Chances are they'll do whatever is needed to make sure you're happy. The policy is there to prevent the backroom from becoming a warehouse, but if they know an expected or anticipated date they'll likely work with you. In my case they were all car guys and just having the opportunity to work with our cars is big bonus vs the typical Camry's and SUV's they see daily.
Will do that. Sounds like Costco canceling for not picking up isn't totally automated and allows human discretion.

Last edited:

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
My Costco was willing to sell me tires and let me carry them home.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
My Costco was willing to sell me tires and let me carry them home.
It may depend on the special. I know every time I've seen the Michelins hit the $150 off special they specifically call out mounting in store is required. When I asked about it they said it was to limit sales to current customers.

Sponsored

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
Check the fine print when ordering the tires. Some Costco locations will not mount tires on non-OEM wheels. They'll gladly sell them to you and let you carry them out, but they may decline to mount them.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Check the fine print when ordering the tires. Some Costco locations will not mount tires on non-OEM wheels. They'll gladly sell them to you and let you carry them out, but they may decline to mount them.
Will check that.

A plus for Costco is the warranty and after sale support. If they won't mount them new, not sure how they will warranty replace or fix a flat if they won't touch aftermarket wheels.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If I end up buying from Costco, anyone bought TPMS from them? What did you pay?

I'm getting new. No point in moving 7 year old ones from the factory wheels. Depending on price, may buy TPMS from Costco just so if any fail, Costco would replace for free.

If any I supplied died, I would have to pay for the dis/re mount to replace.

Clint81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Just as a heads up, some folks have issues getting the PS4s to seal correctly the first time on the Apex SM10s. Just something about the combo isn't 100%.

I ordered the 19x10 SM10s and PS4s' separately and had them mounted by a mobile installer. All 4 lost air. Took the set to the local experts (Grand Turismo East for you ATL folks) and they had to use bead sealer.

3 track days later and they all hold air fine, but this of course was an extra complication I was not expecting.
I'll just go for the 200 wear tires next time!

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Just as a heads up, some folks have issues getting the PS4s to seal correctly the first time on the Apex SM10s. Just something about the combo isn't 100%.

I ordered the 19x10 SM10s and PS4s' separately and had them mounted by a mobile installer. All 4 lost air. Took the set to the local experts (Grand Turismo East for you ATL folks) and they had to use bead sealer.

3 track days later and they all hold air fine, but this of course was an extra complication I was not expecting.
I'll just go for the 200 wear tires next time!
Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe one reason for the post about some Costcos not mounting aftermarket wheels.

Do you know if the leakage only happens while tracking or likely at street temperatures and pressures?
Sponsored