Sponsored

Orange Fury 2018 GT PP2 vs PP1 Comparison with Photos!

CJ Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Too many to count!
Hey All -

Thanks to the awesome folks over at Leonardtown Ford in Maryland, I had the privilege of taking an Orange Fury GT PP2 for a spin. This was a 301A car with cloth Recaros and man was it sweet!

Anyways, I put together a write-up for those out there comparing and contrasting the PP2 up against the PP1 on these cars in hopes that it would help someone out. :thumbsup:

Full Writeup & Comparison: CJ Article Link

I'm curious to know your guys' thoughts as well - reply and let me know!

Thanks,
Chris

27571055418_7e1d293e43_c.jpg

26571617547_8a368272e7_c.jpg

39633892580_b0764506f4_c.jpg

39633887610_23b145c00d_c.jpg

26571616467_4e4fc04fee_c.jpg

39633900650_7091607491_c.jpg

40810592444_23edea4487_c.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Great write-up and photos! How did the steering compare to the PP1? Do you have any technical info from Ford on the steering rack differences between the PP1 and PP2? Are there any hardware changes or just a different calibration?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I just absolutely love those PP2 rims
If I go ahead and buy a 2019 I just might switch to PP2 rims... except I think I may go 305 all around :p :D

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
I love them too, but not the poke. :-/

Perhaps I can find something similar (and lighter) in the aftermarket when the time comes. :D

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Cool. That car got posted in my local group, as that dealership isn't far from me. I actually hadn't realized the PP2 was even available on the base GT until that car was posted, for some reason I thought it was a premium GT option only. Not sure how I arrived at that assumption though.

Looks like you enjoyed driving it. I was back and forth on if I wanted to wait for those to become a little more available before I decided the PP1 would probably make a better DD and pulled the trigger on that instead.

Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Hey All -

Thanks to the awesome folks over at Leonardtown Ford in Maryland, I had the privilege of taking an Orange Fury GT PP2 for a spin. This was a 301A car with cloth Recaros and man was it sweet!

Anyways, I put together a write-up for those out there comparing and contrasting the PP2 up against the PP1 on these cars in hopes that it would help someone out. :thumbsup:

Full Writeup & Comparison: CJ Article Link

I'm curious to know your guys' thoughts as well - reply and let me know!

Thanks,
Chris
Nice article! I'm not sure how difficult this would be for you, but any chance you could include side by side pictures to help illustrate the differences?

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
Nice write up. I was wondering in the article it says "Level 2 Mustang GT will receive a 67% stiffer rear sway bar, 12% stiffer front sway bar, 20% stiffer front springs and 13% stiffer rear springs." Is this comparing PP1 vs PP2? I like the look of the PP2 wheels. Don't we want "aggressive" wheels on a mustang?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJ Pony

CJ Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Too many to count!
Great write-up and photos! How did the steering compare to the PP1? Do you have any technical info from Ford on the steering rack differences between the PP1 and PP2? Are there any hardware changes or just a different calibration?
Thanks! The steering felt great. It's tough to dissect the exact differences about the PP2 that made the steering feel as good as it did, but I'm going to attribute most of the increased steering response and feel to the tires. The Cup 2's have a stiffer (and skinnier) sidewall in comparison to the PP1's 4S which helps throw more road feel through the tire/wheel and ultimately to the driver's hands. As for other contributing factors, it's tough to say without the proper equipment for instrumented tests.

Unfortunately, I don't have any technical info from Ford on the steering rack. I'm thinking it's just a calibration change as it's all electric-assist anyways, but not 100% sure.

Cool. That car got posted in my local group, as that dealership isn't far from me. I actually hadn't realized the PP2 was even available on the base GT until that car was posted, for some reason I thought it was a premium GT option only. Not sure how I arrived at that assumption though.

Looks like you enjoyed driving it. I was back and forth on if I wanted to wait for those to become a little more available before I decided the PP1 would probably make a better DD and pulled the trigger on that instead.
If you have a chance, I would definitely recommend checking the car out if it's local to you. I'm personally a creature-comforts kind of guy. I like the heated/cooled seats, Shaker Pro, BLIS, etc. in my 2015 GT PP, but I would not mind at all having this in my garage. Having SYNC 3/MyFord Touch in the 301A Equipment Group now is a real plus. Only thing I would have missed is NAV, but that's an easy add-on even at a 301A level.

PP1 is definitely a better daily driver off the dealer lot, but this car could easily do the same with the addition of a DD set of wheels/tires.

Nice article! I'm not sure how difficult this would be for you, but any chance you could include side by side pictures to help illustrate the differences?
Actually, I tried to make this happen, but the only other 2018 GT they had there was a Non-PP Black Accent Package car. Hopefully, the below photo helps you out a bit.

27670609348_56159a8858.jpg

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the PP2 wheel offsets are ridiculous.
Now, I wouldn't say ridiculous... but they are a bit too aggressive, IMO. Not to mention if I were to ever get this car for myself. First thing I'd do is paint protection film the fenders/rockers/lower doors and behind rear wheels. There was all kinds of stuff getting kicked up from those sticky tires.

Nice write up. I was wondering in the article it says "Level 2 Mustang GT will receive a 67% stiffer rear sway bar, 12% stiffer front sway bar, 20% stiffer front springs and 13% stiffer rear springs." Is this comparing PP1 vs PP2? I like the look of the PP2 wheels. Don't we want "aggressive" wheels on a mustang?
Thanks! According to Ford, those numbers are in comparison to the PP1 cars. Pretty impressive...

I like the look of the PP2 wheels as well! Honestly, I think it's the best looking wheel Ford's put on a non-specialty Mustang yet! Just the offset is a little much for me on a street car, that's all. It certainly wouldn't stop me from taking this car home, though! :ford:

Scolo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP2, Oxford white, 401a, active exhaust
Nice write up Chris, I really like the stance of my pp2, which I was finally able pickup last Friday. People just need to see the pp2 in person vs online pics. I had my brothers drive my Oxford white pp2 over the weekend and they were amazed on the handling, performance, stance, exhaust note and the interior.

Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
If you have a chance, I would definitely recommend checking the car out if it's local to you. I'm personally a creature-comforts kind of guy. I like the heated/cooled seats, Shaker Pro, BLIS, etc. in my 2015 GT PP, but I would not mind at all having this in my garage. Having SYNC 3/MyFord Touch in the 301A Equipment Group now is a real plus. Only thing I would have missed is NAV, but that's an easy add-on even at a 301A level.

PP1 is definitely a better daily driver off the dealer lot, but this car could easily do the same with the addition of a DD set of wheels/tires.
Maybe I'll drive down there. I'm in Laplata, but that dealership is probably only 45 minutes south. I'm also a creature comfort type...I'm getting old. lol. When I want raw fun, I drive my fox. When it's not broken.

But yeah I ended up getting an 18GT with the 401a package a few weeks ago rather than wait to get a PP2 car. I wouldn't mind checking one out though, just to see what it's all about. For the comparison pics, there are a few of us in the area with 18GT PP's, probably could have linked up with one of us for a comparison photo shoot.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The PP2 steering difference from what I have been able to discern from multiple articles, forums, etc. is that Ford has done something with the As Built code for the steering. The rack (or components) have not been revised between the GT, PP1 or PP2.

I’m sure the Forscan guys can probably figure out the differences if someone would post up a PP2 VIN for them to research and compare the As Built datasets.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
I love those wheels but is it so hard for Ford to spec the offset correctly? Just horrible.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I love those wheels but is it so hard for Ford to spec the offset correctly? Just horrible.
IMO, it seems that Ford chose that offset for a wider, more balanced stance for those who will use the car to its potential on a road course or AutoX events.

Anyone who knows Automotive history, remembers the 1955-1960 era and Pontiac’s “Wide Track” incorporated into their model line up and again reintroduced when the modern GTO and G8 came about:

wider track = better handling and better center of gravity when pushing the vehicle into and out of curves.

The PP2 probably outhandles a PP1 because of it’s wide stance created by the rim offset.
Sponsored