Optimizing seat position for 6'2"

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
6'4" here. I came from a 2003 accord so this car feels huge to me. I got my seat adjusted within minutes and just carried my same stuff from my accord. Steering wheel 75% out seat back ~75-80 degrees. Seat on the floor and steering wheel so just high enough to allow full movement of pedals plus a few inches.

How did u adjust the mirror? I didn't know it was possible to move that up. The only thing I can't stand is stooping down to see under that thing!
Sponsored

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
How did u adjust the mirror? I didn't know it was possible to move that up. The only thing I can't stand is stooping down to see under that thing!
See my post #24 in this thread.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Update, after two weeks.

I am glad I put 1/2" lift into the front of the seat cushion. I don't even think about position very often anymore. I don't have to drive with quite as much "frog legs" now.

I may add that last 1/8" lift with two more washers this weekend. And I will look into what sort of Dremel work might be required to move the mirror higher.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
I am 6'5" and 235 I Bought a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and could not get comfortable with the seat. It was maddening. Solution? Gave it to my son.

There was no way I was getting comfortable with a coupe Mustang, so I bought a convertible. More headroom.

A great daily driver for tall guys, 15/16 Subaru WRX. I've got close to three inches of space over my head and I have a sunroof. It's the only car I have ever owned with a Sunroof. I actually have the seat adjusted in it a little forward from all the way back. An adult can actually sit behind me. The WRX has a very useable and comfortable back seat.
The leather in the limited is like butter yet firm and doesn't wrinkle like the Stang. Plus, after a year and a half it still smells like new leather. My Mustang didn't smell like new a month after I got it. The first week it already had a wrinkle in the drivers cushion.
I'm 6'5" and have more headroom in a S550 Mustang than in the '16 WRX Premium/Limited with a sunroof. I hit my head on the track portion of the Premium and Ltd., but fit in the Base WRX with about 1/2 - 3/4" to spare.

Best car for tall guys that I've found with a sunroof is the F30 (2012+) BMW 3 series.

Without a sunroof, the Q50 has lots of headroom also.

I do have a long torso however but only a 34" inseam. Tall guy problems...

For the Mustang, the best seating position I can get is to pull the wheel all the way out and frog leg/lean back until I get just enough headroom.

Sponsored

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
Another inch or two wheel extension would make a huge difference to the taller guys.
Agree 100%.

Of course, I can say that about most cars out there.

If you happen to have a body type that's in the top/bottom 5%-10% of the population, it sucks finding a car that fits.

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Seems like short legs / long torso combo for a tall guy might not be so bad:
Move the seat forward for leg length. Which makes wheel extension not so bad. Then lean upper seat back more, and you get your headroom.

For me, the extended wheel would be the cure-all I think. Not happening, of course.

mizer67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, please
Seems like short legs / long torso combo for a tall guy might not be so bad:
Move the seat forward for leg length. Which makes wheel extension not so bad. Then lean upper seat back more, and you get your headroom.

For me, the extended wheel would be the cure-all I think. Not happening, of course.
I've looked for steering wheel spacers or a deeper dish steering wheel that maintains the airbag, but nothing exists for the S550.

The GT350 has a slightly (.29") thicker diameter steering wheel though for only $234. :) Put a steering wheel cover on top of that and you might gain a whole 1/4 inch.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Guys, how far away from the kitchen table do you sit when you eat?
BAhahaha. :lol: Even at 6'4. I thought that was funny!

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I've looked for steering wheel spacers or a deeper dish steering wheel that maintains the airbag, but nothing exists for the S550.

The GT350 has a slightly (.29") thicker diameter steering wheel though for only $234. :) Put a steering wheel cover on top of that and you might gain a whole 1/4 inch.
That's, like, $1000 per inch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Thanks to member [MENTION=19502]grue[/MENTION] here is what worked for me.

On the as-delivered car, the ball joint on the back of the mirror is higher than centerline. So by flipping the mirror 180°, this socket will be below the centerline, thus raising the mirror closer to the roof.

Remove the mirror from the windshield (#T20 Torx I think). Rotate the double ball-joint piece 180°. Re-angle the bracket as needed, and then reattach the bracket to the windshield mount.

There now is no gap between my mirror and roof, and so I can see out under it better.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
^^^Did this last night. Mod of the year! :first:

P4RKER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Fastback
I don't have my car right now it's in storage but can you pout a pic of what you guys are talking about? 6'4" here and that mirror definitely needs to move!

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
don't want to be that guy... But... Me too :D

Haven't managed to find the proper seating yet - feel like the wheel is a tad bit too far away, if I lower it there's less room for my legs...(About 6'3'')

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
don't want to be that guy... But... Me too :D

Haven't managed to find the proper seating yet - feel like the wheel is a tad bit too far away, if I lower it there's less room for my legs...(About 6'3'')
It's telescopic, just pull it out.
Sponsored