Opinions on lifetime wheel alignment

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
I am thinking to purchase a lifetime wheel alignment from Firestone or pep boys.

It costs about $200 and includes 1 alignment every 6 months.

What do you think? Please share your experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mookieit

mookieit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicle(s)
mustang 2015 v6
Not sure why you would need that many alignments unless you're constantly changing your camber/toe-in, etc?
No, nothing like that. Just wondering if necessary to align my wheels.As of now I aligned it once when I changed my tires at 80K miles.

I am at 112K miles and noticed sudden wobbling on my latest drive. Not sure if it was the road or wind since it was a highway I rarely use.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If they will do an actual alignment, why not?. Personally my experience with the chains is they put the settings in the green and call it good. I like actual equal numbers side to side.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The whole point of a lifetime alignment is to get you in the door to sell you something you don't need just yet. I used to work at a firestone a lifetime ago, I quit because they were pushing us to upsell even if you don't need it. They even had a policy to try to sell brakes to any vehicle that the wheels came off, even if you were just there for an oil change, tire rotation. I once had to try to sell brakes to a customer with a new car with only 250 miles on the car who came in for a flat repair, that was the last straw for me, I quit after that.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Having access to such as service assumes the person providing it is qualified to perform the task.

These national chains, they don't have any skin in the game. "Problems? Call 1-800..."

Working at a station many years ago, we received several cars with cords showing on the threads of tires, cars drifting, etc. They had "lifetime alignments", but it was obvious something was awry.

I'd seek out a shop that...

- Presents itself well
- Has well-kept equipment, giving detailed printouts
- Is locally owned
- Performance-oriented, if possible
- Has good BBB reviews (or no negative ones)
- Has been in business for some time
- Has good Google or other reviews
- Offers a warranty for a certain period

If your local dealer has a good history and reviews, possibly seek them out as well. They work on Ford's consistently and could have insight or experience which would be helpful.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
BTW, before it could become an issue, or to monitor your progress, invest in a tread depth meter and a good tire pressure gauge.

Milton sells tread depth gauges. Autometer sells tire pressure gauges. I'm sure there are some other vendors which are just as good.

dwsuperd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium CS
I’ve been using the lifetime plan on all my cars since the late 90s - includes BMW and Mustangs. I keep my cars for a lifetime and the price seem reasonable to me considering 1 alignment is about $80. I’ve had no issues or pressure to purchase other services.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I am thinking to purchase a lifetime wheel alignment from Firestone or pep boys.

It costs about $200 and includes 1 alignment every 6 months.

What do you think? Please share your experience.
Do you work for free?
No, well, if you think they will do a quality job, on a service contract like that, I got a bridge.
They will list anything and everything they think you might need or ok to be serviced.
That is the real point of them offering these in the first place.
If you are ok with set the toe and let it go alingments, then go for it.
I personally would not let either touch any vehicle I cared about.
Worked at Firestone in the early 80's After 7 months I could not keep working at a place like that, they were selling services and tires customers did not need. I can't work like that, and can not support that type of business model.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
I have the lifetime from firestone on all my cars. To me its worth it. I live in michigan and our roads are trash. If you use it only two times its still cheaper in the end. I have my cars checked at least twice a year. If anything the tires will last a bit longer on my other cars. On the mustang at least the fronts survive a bit longer, lol.

Edit: reading the above at the other peoples experiences. I have been going to my firestone for the last 6 years or so with 5 cars (my two, wifes, kids) and have never one time been tried to be "upcharged" that was a BS reason. I was told about brakes one time on my sons car. I was taken back in the shop to see the brakes myself and agreed they needed to be changed but declined the service to do it myself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
I have the lifetime from firestone on all my cars. To me its worth it. I live in michigan and our roads are trash. If you use it only two times its still cheaper in the end. I have my cars checked at least twice a year. If anything the tires will last a bit longer on my other cars. On the mustang at least the fronts survive a bit longer, lol.

Edit: reading the above at the other peoples experiences. I have been going to my firestone for the last 6 years or so with 5 cars (my two, wifes, kids) and have never one time been tried to be "upcharged" that was a BS reason. I was told about brakes one time on my sons car. I was taken back in the shop to see the brakes myself and agreed they needed to be changed but declined the service to do it myself.
Its hard to disagree with your logic, when the roads you drive on are punished with the drastic weather conditions up north. Its also good to hear that your local Firestone isnt trying to upsell you constantly whether you need it or not.

There are some good franchise owners out there. Ive always found there is enough business for anyone who does it honestly and fairly. No need to deceive people to make a living.

It would be interesting to know how many times they actually had to move your cars Adjustments, vs just checking it & saying "we aligned it , your good 👍 "
Probably not very often, but perhaps every few yrs. I'm just speculating of course.

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
After a few negative experiences many years ago I learned to not have my alignments done where the business just happens to sell tires and suspension components. I've more than once had the alignment folks tell me we cannot align the car because of, well, fill in the blank.

Interestingly, when I took those cars to other reputable shops, they were able to align the vehicles with no problem.

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
Its hard to disagree with your logic, when the roads you drive on are punished with the drastic weather conditions up north. Its also good to hear that your local Firestone isnt trying to upsell you constantly whether you need it or not.

There are some good franchise owners out there. Ive always found there is enough business for anyone who does it honestly and fairly. No need to deceive people to make a living.

It would be interesting to know how many times they actually had to move your cars Adjustments, vs just checking it & saying "we aligned it , your good 👍 "
Probably not very often, but perhaps every few yrs. I'm just speculating of course.
I have had a few times they handed me the sheet saying its still "within spec" and ther is no need. more often than not its only one wheel that really needs to be moved. They are busy as hell all the time so i do need to make a appointment for just a alignment. Either way tire wear is good. No odd tire wear to be noticed other than the mustang goes through rear tires pretty quick for some odd reason.....

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP

That's great, but I saw it first hand and know many that work at a few local ones, their business model has not changed.
Set the toe and let it go, is the call of the day. And sell sell sell.
Yours might not do it, or might not try it with those that know at least a little about vehicles and could smell any b/s.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
This is the in the green, or in spec deal I was talking about. As long as it is not out of range they call it good. That is not good enough for me.

YMMV
Sponsored