Opinion needed on hood vent

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Greets all, I know this is probably going to be a loaded question, but a part of me is on the fence of the look of the hood vent and the stripes not finishing through the hood vent, and I was considering getting the ends of the hood vent painted to match the rapid red hood so that the hood vent looks finished as if the stripes actually look finished through the hood.

I wanted to get some opinions on what people think, and yes I know it only matters what I decide, but I do at times like to get a other peoples thoughts especially when being on the fence.

Thanks.
Sponsored

ParsonsWV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2002 C5
It would be unique for sure. Maybe one of our lovely comrades could photoshop an image to get an idea for you. Not the worst Idea I have heard.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
It would be unique for sure. Maybe one of our lovely comrades could photoshop an image to get an idea for you. Not the worst Idea I have heard.
Actually I have one I made with 3D paint. The idea originally came when I was thinking of using vinyl for the center of the vent hood to split the black and give it a finish look, once I did that then I thought why not color in the ends to make it look as if the black stripe was going down the middle in true form.

Once I did that I became torn with the idea that instead of vinyling the center of the hood, why not just paint the ends and the center which prompted the post.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
there was a guy who converted his 350 to a 500 hood. He did exactly what you speak of. It looked good. On the other hand, the look the 500 has is good as well. Search for it and that will give you a photo of what it looks like. It was magnetic IIRC

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I would for sure Photoshop the idea first AD but off the top of my head, it might have promise. Personally, I like the way it is though. To do what you suggest correctly though would require a couple three coats of clear over the whole thing after shooting the red and removing the masking.

Sponsored

Mulletdaddee72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kody
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 06 mustang drift car
Personally I think color matching the black parts of the car is tacky and kinda messes with the design proportions of the car.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
there was a guy who converted his 350 to a 500 hood. He did exactly what you speak of. It looked good. On the other hand, the look the 500 has is good as well. Search for it and that will give you a photo of what it looks like. It was magnetic IIRC
Did a search, only thing I found close to this was the Cervinis GT500 hood thread but nothing as painted edges like I was speaking of. and none of the keywords I used brought anything up.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I would for sure Photoshop the idea first AD but off the top of my head, it might have promise. Personally, I like the way it is though. To do what you suggest correctly though would require a couple three coats of clear over the whole thing after shooting the red and removing the masking.
Not good with photoshop man who keeps young women in his trunk :D (This one is much better on the eyes).

Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Stripeless cars I think the vent needs to remain black. On cars with stripes i have mixed feelings, and leans toward leaving it black also.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for this, now looking at it not photoshopped and seeing it I am still on the fence about this.

Stripeless cars I think the vent needs to remain black. On cars with stripes i have mixed feelings, and leans toward leaving it black also.
And this is my conundrum.

Here is mine currently, I had white 1/16th pinstripes added to it the week I got it, and I dont know if I should just finish the center off, or do the same as the picture above..

IMG_20200929_134800.jpg

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I don't think it will look bad painted, but doesn't seem to be worth the effort on something you are on the fence about only to make it look questionably better. That being said i am having my spoiler and side mirrors painted body color and don't care what people think cause that is what i like.....

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
What looks funny is the support down the center. When @50 Deep finishes his new hood vent with the support underneath I think it will look better.
My 0.02

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I suppose the colors involved have a great deal to do with how well the idea works on a given car but after seeing some vents painted, I have to say I like all black better.
Sponsored