Opening trunk with the trunk release button above tag

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I have a question guys, can y'all open your trunk with the trunk release button that's above the tag while the car is locked?
Sponsored

PizzyP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
As Mike stated, with key in pocket yes you can, just like opening the door with key in pocket without ever taking the key out.

Batzzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I have been trying but with key fob in hand it will not open. Only way it opens is if I unlock first

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yep, that's the button, I know the fobs aren't the problem as both act the same, seems I'm not the only one with the issue
Yeah, you're the second person on here that hasn't been able to do it. I wonder if it's a setting buried in the menus somewhere. For the record my 2020 does not have this issue, I can use that button when the vehicle is locked with no issues.

OP
OP
Soulja4187

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I guess I will take a trip to the dealer. As I'm also having an issue where sometimes I can't lock or unlock the doors because the proximity sensor doesn't sense the fob

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I can only do it with the key on me; like someone else pointed out...

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
MY17 UK model, I can open the trunk (boot) with the button above the plate with the fob in my pocket. I have never tried it but always wondered if someone could open the trunk while I'm sitting at the lights..

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
MY17 UK model, I can open the trunk (boot) with the button above the plate with the fob in my pocket. I have never tried it but always wondered if someone could open the trunk while I'm sitting at the lights..

Thats a good question, LOL
Same here fob in pocket button opens it. However if car is locked, must unlock car first.

That said I will say the trunk most likely is locked as the doors are when driving. See if I can get the wife to run behind the car. Test the trunk button theory :cwl:

Last edited:

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Follow up: what if you unlock the car from the mobile app? Would it let you open the trunk? Hmm...

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Thats a good question, LOL
Same here fob in pocket button opens it. However if car is locked, must unlock car first.

That said I will say the trunk most likely is locked as the doors are when driving. See if I can get the wife to run behind the car. Test the trunk button theory :cwl:
i can definitely open the trunk with the car locked, saves fishing for the fob when carrying stuff but yeah good luck asking the wife to chase after you haha.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
i can definitely open the trunk with the car locked, saves fishing for the fob when carrying stuff but yeah good luck asking the wife to chase after you haha.

Was agreeing that the truck will open without pushing the fob unlock each time. But only after the car has been unlocked the first time entering it.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I'd put in a new battery before wasting a trip to the dealer. That's probably the first thing they'll try.
Sponsored