Sponsored

Opening trunk with dash button when the car is off and locked?

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Noticed the other day that the garage door opener (I've got a premium GT) doesn't work with the car off and locked. This is good news for us convertible owners since it means we can leave the top down in our driveway without worrying someone will reach into the car and open our garage.

But this doesn't seem to be true of the trunk release button on the dash. I did a quick test this morning and was able to open the trunk using the button on the dash with the top down, doors locked, alarm on, and keys not on me. Can anyone else with a convertible confirm this? Seems like a pretty big security issue -- basically your trunk is easily accessible if the top is down. Keeping the windows up helps since at least it makes it harder to get to the dash button without physically climbing into the car around the closed windows.
Sponsored

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Noticed the other day that the garage door opener (I've got a premium GT) doesn't work with the car off and locked. This is good news for us convertible owners since it means we can leave the top down in our driveway without worrying someone will reach into the car and open our garage.

But this doesn't seem to be true of the trunk release button on the dash. I did a quick test this morning and was able to open the trunk using the button on the dash with the top down, doors locked, alarm on, and keys not on me. Can anyone else with a convertible confirm this? Seems like a pretty big security issue -- basically your trunk is easily accessible if the top is down. Keeping the windows up helps since at least it makes it harder to get to the dash button without physically climbing into the car around the closed windows.
Hello peetucket,

I understand where you’re coming from. As you know, they are designed to be closed and locked when the customer is not in use of the vehicle. However, you are welcomed to PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll get this feedback documented for you.

Deysha

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You know, you are really not supposed to be away from the car with the top down.
Can't be that hard putting it on takes like 20 seconds.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
You know, you are really not supposed to be away from the car with the top down.
Well you might be correct, but sometimes I know I like to have the car ready to go in my driveway, or a friends driveway, and it would be nice to know the trunk would remain locked. Not that I keep anything of value in it anyways.

Shoot, it would be really nice if the trunk wouldn't open when your bombing down the road and reach for your sunglasses and hit the trunk release by mistake.

I hate when that happens

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Premium security?

I have never tested it..but isn't the premium security system supposed to sound the alarm if the top is down and someone tries to reach into the interior?

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I have never tested it..but isn't the premium security system supposed to sound the alarm if the top is down and someone tries to reach into the interior?
No, it only works with the top up.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

I did try it shortly after getting my car and it would not open. Will have to try again.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Shoot, it would be really nice if the trunk wouldn't open when your bombing down the road and reach for your sunglasses and hit the trunk release by mistake.

I hate when that happens��
The trunk should not open while the car is moving over 5 MPH. From the Owner's Manual.

"You can use the remote control at any
time. The luggage compartment release
button only works when your vehicle speed
is less than 5 mph
(8 km/h)."

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

From the Owner's Manual. Sound like you need to check your Switch Inhibit setting in the menus.

Switch Inhibitor
"When you electronically lock your vehicle,
the power door lock button and interior
luggage compartment release button, after
20 seconds, no longer operate.
You must
unlock your vehicle with the remote
control, or switch on the ignition, to restore
function to these buttons. You can switch
this feature on or off in the information
display.
See (page 80)."

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
5 mph?

The trunk should not open while the car is moving over 5 MPH. From the Owner's Manual.

"You can use the remote control at any
time. The luggage compartment release
button only works when your vehicle speed
is less than 5 mph
(8 km/h)."
I love the logic of Ford designers...I guess if you drive away but forgot your briefcase...your wife can run after you...push the trunk release...and toss it in!

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Well you might be correct, but sometimes I know I like to have the car ready to go in my driveway, or a friends driveway, and it would be nice to know the trunk would remain locked. Not that I keep anything of value in it anyways.

I hate when that happens
I mean what kind of hurry are you in that you can't wait 20 seconds?
It's not like one of those Lambos you have to manually put the panels in.

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
Even if it only takes 20 seconds, a vert user should not have to put the top up to protect the contents of the trunk. In 2006 verts you needed the key or the fob and that was inconvenient sometimes but a good compromise.. When the car is locked, any car, vert top down, coupe with windows down, you should not be able to get into the trunk by reaching into the car and pushing a button. This is a design or implementation issue, nut a driver issue.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I mean what kind of hurry are you in that you can't wait 20 seconds?
It's not like one of those Lambos you have to manually put the panels in.
Look Jason, most of us convertable owners spend the extra 7K so we don't have to have the damn roof up in The first place.

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
Never mind, it turns out that if you wait the 20-30 seconds for the steering column to lock, this also prevents the truck button from working. In fact, the car chimes and displays the "Switch Inhibitor" message if you try and release the trunk without the key on you. Despite the indication in the owner's manual that this feature is configurable, I couldn't find any information on how and I can't find it in any of the settings menus. But seeing as it works as I would like, that is irrelevant. Thanks all.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Never mind, it turns out that if you wait the 20-30 seconds for the steering column to lock, this also prevents the truck button from working. In fact, the car chimes and displays the "Switch Inhibitor" message if you try and release the trunk without the key on you. Despite the indication in the owner's manual that this feature is configurable, I couldn't find any information on how and I can't find it in any of the settings menus. But seeing as it works as I would like, that is irrelevant. Thanks all.
Well, when you have the top down and you toss all of your personal items in the trunk to secure them, just remember not to accidentally bundle your keys with the stuff... That will be a major disappointment for ya if you don't look back and have left the car....:ninja:
Sponsored