Sponsored

One quart of oil per 1,000 miles. Normal?

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I didn't read carefully enough the first time through this post. The oil analysis doesn't look that bad, true, but that is dark oil for that mileage. I do wonder where all the calcium comes from.

Seriously though, yeah if it's knocking and gulping oil, especially if you already have an oil catch and not getting much in there. Try to work "with" your dealer if they are being reasonable and they'll take care of it.

Sorry to hear that! A good idea would be to call Ford Cust. service, tell them the situation and open a case with them before you visit the dealer next time. If you've been in for this problem a few times, they can escalate it.
Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Sounds like a baby break in.

I've always broke new engines in, just like I run them. HARD. I make sure to seat the rings and never had oil consumption issues. Have yet to get my 2019 special order, but I plan to break it in the same way, regardless of what Ford thinks.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I ran mine pretty vigorously for the first 1K miles, then took it on a 2K cross country trip from Alabama to Los Angeles. Changed oil at 6K, about 2 qts down, and most of that was in the first 3k miles. Now at 8K, engine uses far less. But yeah, the OP's car is consuming way too much oil.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The oil analysis doesn't look that bad, true, but that is dark oil for that mileage.
The dark oil at low mileage is probably caused by excessive ring blow-by. Probably where the oil is getting by too. I'd ask the dealer do a compression or leak down test and borescope the cylinders.

OP
OP

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The dark oil at low mileage is probably caused by excessive ring blow-by. Probably where the oil is getting by too. I'd ask the dealer do a compression or leak down test and borescope the cylinders.
If it was blow by causing it to be dark, wouldnā€™t Blackstone have picked up fuel?

Gonna wait till 5k miles and let them change oil, open filter and start tracking. Iā€™ll ask if they can do a compression test at the same time.

Terrible to imagine if I wasnā€™t checking my oil. At 5,000 miles Iā€™d probably have only 5 or 6 qts in it. Although it would be pretty clear there was an issue then.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I ran mine pretty vigorously for the first 1K miles, then took it on a 2K cross country trip from Alabama to Los Angeles. Changed oil at 6K, about 2 qts down, and most of that was in the first 3k miles. Now at 8K, engine uses far less. But yeah, the OP's car is consuming way too much oil.
Iā€™m still wondering if the car came from factory with only 8-9 qts.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
That is certainly possible.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If it was blow by causing it to be dark, wouldnā€™t Blackstone have picked up fuel?
If it's soot/carbon from combustion blow-by past the rings, which is what makes oil dirty and dark like a diesel engine does, then not sure it would show up as raw fuel dilution in the UOA - probably wouldn't. Maybe call or email Blackstone to see what they say.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Sounds like a baby break in.

I've always broke new engines in, just like I run them. HARD. I make sure to seat the rings and never had oil consumption issues. Have yet to get my 2019 special order, but I plan to break it in the same way, regardless of what Ford thinks.
It is debatable on how to break in an engine, but to say it is bad to break it in softly as a catch all is just wrong. I broke mine in ever so softly like have with every performance car I have bought new. At ~1800 miles oil is right on mark, visually the same as it was @50 miles the first time I checked the oil. Also, break in is not just for the engine. Brakes, tranny, diff, etc all need break in and I would argue are more susceptible to damage than the engine if not done right. Pretty sure if it was best to break them in "HARD" every manufacturer would not be saying the opposite. Most will not say to baby it, but to be smart and basically drive "normally" and normal is not like you would at a track. Anyway, if it has worked for you great, but my way is just as bullet proof as yours and matches every car maker out there.

Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Iā€™m still wondering if the car came from factory with only 8-9 qts.
Doubtful. Seems you just got unlucky......sometimes it is not good to be part of the 1%! I do hope it is something else and it settles in though. Good luck!

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It is debatable on how to break in an engine, but to say it is bad to break it in softly as a catch all is just wrong. I broke mine in ever so softly like have with every performance car I have bought new. At ~1800 miles oil is right on mark, visually the same as it was @50 miles the first time I checked the oil. Also, break in is not just for the engine. Brakes, tranny, diff, etc all need break in and I would argue are more susceptible to damage than the engine if not done right. Pretty sure if it was best to break them in "HARD" every manufacturer would not be saying the opposite. Most will not say to baby it, but to be smart and basically drive "normally" and normal is not like you would at a track. Anyway, if it has worked for you great, but my way is just as bullet proof as yours and matches every car maker out there.
Plenty of good reads on the subject. To each their own.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Plenty of good reads on the subject. To each their own.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Sure I gotcha, but I was only referring to your blanket statement. I could find lots of break in theories that contradict some of what was on that site. In the end there is no magic sauce to break in an engine, especially mass produced ones. What may work great for one sample could be the disaster for another. You just need to go with what you think works. In our cases they are different methods that we both have had success with. Again, I only took notice of your blanket statement, other than that drive on!
Sponsored