Sponsored

One quart of oil per 1,000 miles. Normal?

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After I added two quarts at 2,000 miles, I assumed the car must have come from the factory with only 8 quarts. Checked it now at 3,000 miles and it’s down another quart. I know the manual says check it 15 min after hot, however it’s easier to get definitive reading after the car sits overnight and cold. This way it’s apples to apples every time I check, and a clear reading on the dipstick.

I took it to the dealer after I added 2 quarts, and they suggested I probably didn’t read the dipstick correctly. They said I should read it cold after oil drains down and not hot. Told them that’s great, cause it’s what I did. They did suggest 2 quarts in 2,000 miles was a lot.

I’ll take it in next week, but any suggestions on other symptoms to check so I can point them towards it’s a problem? Over the last 1,000 miles, catch can probably has 2-3 ounces. When I had it in at 2,000 they said they could always track oil usage after the first oil change. Do they even need to wait until a formal oil change? At this rate I’ll have replaced most of the factory oil before the specified mileage.
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
On my 2016gt, it used ~1 quart every 1k miles up until 4k miles when the usage dropped significantly. Do you see any white smoke out of the tailpipes?

OP
OP

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
no smoke really at all. Just on start up some minor white as it warms up for the first minute or so. Nothing blue. The tail pipes inside are pretty black with buildup for only 3k miles. Hard t say if its normal or not.

No leaks visible, so not really sure where its going other than burning it during driving. Mostly city driving, so not really hard miles from light to light or in traffic.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
no smoke really at all. Just on start up some minor white as it warms up for the first minute or so. Nothing blue. The tail pipes inside are pretty black with buildup for only 3k miles. Hard t say if its normal or not.

No leaks visible, so not really sure where its going other than burning it during driving. Mostly city driving, so not really hard miles from light to light or in traffic.
I'd go get a cylinder compression test done just to be safe and make sure one of them isn't sealed well. Otherwise go to the dealer to get them to start tracking the usage.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
After I added two quarts at 2,000 miles, I assumed the car must have come from the factory with only 8 quarts. Checked it now at 3,000 miles and it’s down another quart. I know the manual says check it 15 min after hot, however it’s easier to get definitive reading after the car sits overnight and cold. This way it’s apples to apples every time I check, and a clear reading on the dipstick.

I took it to the dealer after I added 2 quarts, and they suggested I probably didn’t read the dipstick correctly. They said I should read it cold after oil drains down and not hot. Told them that’s great, cause it’s what I did. They did suggest 2 quarts in 2,000 miles was a lot.

I’ll take it in next week, but any suggestions on other symptoms to check so I can point them towards it’s a problem? Over the last 1,000 miles, catch can probably has 2-3 ounces. When I had it in at 2,000 they said they could always track oil usage after the first oil change. Do they even need to wait until a formal oil change? At this rate I’ll have replaced most of the factory oil before the specified mileage.
My engine initially consumed around 1qt/1kmiles as well. Wasn't happy. I also could see right exhaust pipe being much more carbonized than left one.

Now my shortblock was replaced due to bbq tick, and new one does not eat as much oil. Almost nothing.

p.s. also feels like with new short block it is more fuel efficient, but not by much.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm not sure how much soot on the lip of the tailpipe is normal, so hard to say if that's a sign of oil burning here. I just know after 3 quarts, its going somewhere.

Car only has 3,000 miles, so its the original ticking engine. They chased the ticking and decel rattle for three weeks and changed VVT solenoid. Even told me not to pick it up at one point because Ford was giving them more tests to run. Then suddenly its normal characteristic.

Guess I'll see what they say about the oil this time. Suspect they will want to do an oil change and then monitor it.

OP
OP

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My engine initially consumed around 1qt/1kmiles as well. Wasn't happy. I also could see right exhaust pipe being much more carbonized than left one.

Now my shortblock was replaced due to bbq tick, and new one does not eat as much oil. Almost nothing.

p.s. also feels like with new short block it is more fuel efficient, but not by much.
Was your oil pretty dark? Mine is getting close to black when I check it.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Was your oil pretty dark? Mine is getting close to black when I check it.
On the dipstick? No mine wasn't black.I attached 6kmiles oil dipstick picture. That was bbq ticking block. That oil contains several quarts of new MC oil.

Btw, i'm having oil catch cans with new block, but so far they do not contain much.
1521165820838.jpg

Last edited:

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
ED699D2A-CC84-47A9-8404-996241CE1B47.jpeg
My 18's dipstick is not the easiest to read. Wish mine was s tidy as the photo above.
On its factory fill & 4400 miles it's clean and between the two dots(holes) never added a drop.
The dipstick oil though even on a cold motor is all over the dipstick above the full mark even. I think the dipstick tube and the PP1 shock tower brace along with the flimsy factory stick make it a challenge to read. Why I use and why they are there the two holes prove to me what the true level is On point I don't know how some of the forum members read theirs but it's not a black or white thing with my car. I could see someone very easily misreading the dipstick.
Down 2 quarts sounds interesting. I wouldn't necessarily hang my hat on tail pipe soot as the deciding factor. All or most modern cars do that in just as many miles.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I check my oil level cold quite often, and the level shows up very clearly and easy to read on the dipstick. The more you check, the more it may smear oil on the dipstick. The first pull when cold shouldn't smear oil on the dipstick, and should allow a good reading.

OP, a quart every 1000 miles is not normal. My 2015 was only using a quart every 5000 miles when the engine had 3000 miles on it. I've never cleaned inside my exhaust tips and they have almost zero soot in them.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Good friend that introduced me to mustangs has a 2016 said he burned a qrt every 1-1.5k miles for the first 10k or so, I’m at 6k almost changed my oil at 1k, I’ve burned 1 qrt in that 5K. And practically nothing in the catch can. Felt I got lucky

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Maybe too easy a break-in results in oil burning if it takes 5000~10000 miles before oil consumption goes way down. Go drive the car pretty hard for awhile every day you drive it to see if the consumption goes down.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
Maybe too easy a break-in results in oil burning if it takes 5000~10000 miles before oil consumption goes way down. Go drive the car pretty hard for awhile every day you drive it to see if the consumption goes down.
I also have zero exhaust soot after 5000ks, you wouldn’t even get a slight smear on your finger if you wiped it inside the tips.
I also agree that engines that weren’t driven hard in the first few thousand ks will burn more oil over the life of and engine that was driven hard from the get go. As drag racers say, “run an engine in hard and it’ll go hard, run an engine in soft and it will go soft”

OP
OP

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
5E8C1AA7-0D01-4154-A1C1-5DECA2874CE3.jpeg
68A2EAC2-322C-42F3-9ED1-8CAF4B671BDC.jpeg

When I check cold, I get a nice clean line between oil to dry on the dipstick. When hot it’s really hard to read.

Here’s pics of oil color after 3,000 and 3 extra quarts, since I drove it off the lot. Also a single swab of the tailpipe.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Judging by my oil separator, the engine does "consume" some oil, but not enough that I need to add anything, ever. Just regular oil changes. I check the level from time to time but it's never low.
Sponsored