One Piece Driveshaft

1TUFF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP. 2001 Mustang GT Cam’d & Vortech’d
I have a DSS one piece and its smooth up to 130ish. Fastest ive gone with it on. It does increase NVH a bit but only on rougher roads. But its worth it to me on install i aligned all marks on the DSS piece to the stock marks on the front and rear of the car.

edit-i think the actuall weight difference was like 10 pounds or so cant remember exactly but definitly not what steeda says.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
3X I’ve upgraded to a “better, lighter, stronger driveshaft since 1997. All three times I either went back to the stock shaft, or wish I did.
Due to excess vibration mate?

OP
OP

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a DSS one piece and its smooth up to 130ish. Fastest ive gone with it on. It does increase NVH a bit but only on rougher roads. But its worth it to me on install i aligned all marks on the DSS piece to the stock marks on the front and rear of the car.

edit-i think the actuall weight difference was like 10 pounds or so cant remember exactly but definitly not what steeda says.
I'm not fussed about a little increase in NVH as i already have other stuff that adds it. just don't want it to be unbearable.

OP
OP

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a one piece Shaftmaster and have no issues with NVH. It actually got rid of a clunking noise I was getting at low speed start & stops.
Thanks Pal, Ill have a look into one of those also :)

1TUFF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Vehicle(s)
its not bad at all i have zero vibrations and harshness just a bit of noise but only when the roads are in rough shape otherwise its smooth and quiet. I have the usual rear suspension stuff so with that also i think it amplifies the noise more but nothing some music cant fade out.

I'm not fussed about a little increase in NVH as i already have other stuff that adds it. just don't want it to be unbearable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
its not bad at all i have zero vibrations and harshness just a bit of noise but only when the roads are in rough shape otherwise its smooth and quiet. I have the usual rear suspension stuff so with that also i think it amplifies the noise more but nothing some music cant fade out.
I can live with that, cheers pal:)

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
on install i aligned all marks on the DSS piece to the stock marks on the front and rear of the car.
What marks on the DSS? I just installed one and there were zero alignment marks on the shaft. In theory, a balanced, round, driveshaft shouldn't need any alignment marks. It should "work" regardless of what holes it's mounted to. Do you have any pics by chance? Thanks man.

1TUFF_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JESSE
Vehicle(s)
I didnt take any pics but on the DDS mines had marks on the driveshaft and for the front adapter to keep them lined up as thats how it got balanced on their machine. Then on the trans there was a mark that lined up to the stock driveshaft so i lined up all the marks for the front. For the rear it didnt line up to the factory mark but it was pretty close. Also just drove on a 2.5 hr trip with the wife and kids, trunk full of carry on sized luggage and a few other small bags with no rubbing issues at all! My car is lowered 1.5” front and 1” rear with 305-35-20s
What marks on the DSS? I just installed one and there were zero alignment marks on the shaft. In theory, a balanced, round, driveshaft shouldn't need any alignment marks. It should "work" regardless of what holes it's mounted to. Do you have any pics by chance? Thanks man.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I didnt take any pics but on the DDS mines had marks on the driveshaft and for the front adapter to keep them lined up as thats how it got balanced on their machine. Then on the trans there was a mark that lined up to the stock driveshaft so i lined up all the marks for the front. For the rear it didnt line up to the factory mark but it was pretty close. Also just drove on a 2.5 hr trip with the wife and kids, trunk full of carry on sized luggage and a few other small bags with no rubbing issues at all! My car is lowered 1.5” front and 1” rear with 305-35-20s

Ahhhh, makes sense. I don't know if I have a later one, or if the CF is different, but mine had no adaptors. Comes with the factory style flange, thus it bolts right into the axle just like factory. Just FYI, you wouldn't have any rubbing issues on an IRS car; the rear axle center section doesn't move as the suspension goes up and down. The driveshaft clearance always remains the same.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I have a dynotech driveshaft in my car. No vibration. I read the posts about DSS and avoided them. I would have no problem recommending the dynotech driveshaft. I think they make the driveshafts for NASCAR too.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Sharpy200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a dynotech driveshaft in my car. No vibration. I read the posts about DSS and avoided them. I would have no problem recommending the dynotech driveshaft. I think they make the driveshafts for NASCAR too.
Ive narrowed it down to 2, obe being the dynotech and the other the QA1 l, but cant find the weight of it and not sure the extra cost is worth it either.

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
If going with a carbon fiber shaft one consideration in the cf used is heat tolerance. Exhaust system is really close and engine/trans. heat washes past it with air flow. I went with QA1 last year, at that time they used the most heat tolerant materials. I have a very slight harmonic vibration at 45-60 mph, a very low frequency hum. Kinda like a low volume droning sub woofer. Was told clocking it out 180 degrees at the diff. may help.......anyone else tried this fix?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
If going with a carbon fiber shaft one consideration in the cf used is heat tolerance. Exhaust system is really close and engine/trans. heat washes past it with air flow. I went with QA1 last year, at that time they used the most heat tolerant materials. I have a very slight harmonic vibration at 45-60 mph, a very low frequency hum. Kinda like a low volume droning sub woofer. Was told clocking it out 180 degrees at the diff. may help.......anyone else tried this fix?
I just went through this with my QA1 CF driveshaft. A brief history on driveline vibrations with my car: My 2017 stock had the typical highway vibration buzz many were plagued with. I finally found a competent Ford dealer and they tracked down the source of the vibration. They rebuilt the entire rear diff - new ring & pinion, new torsen, new bearings, everything. I was skeptical, but the car was smooth as glass afterwards.

Fast forward to a month ago, I had a whipple kit, new clutch and QA1 CF driveshaft installed. I went with the QA1 because it seemed to have the best track record when it comes to NVH. When I picked it up, there sure enough there was vibration. Probably not has bad as the car was when it was stock (before Ford fixed it), but it was there. Felt it in the steering wheel at 50mph, heard a resonance towards 60mph and then felt it in the seat at 70+mph.

I called QA1 and an awesome tech (Steve) spent 20mins of the phone with me. He confirmed these cars are plagued by driveline vibration issues. He recommended I start with the transmission flange and try every position (it's also the easiest to access). Then go to the rear diff, flip it 180* and do the same. Well after the third and final position on the trans flange, the vibration was 95% gone! I never did flip it at the rear diff.

Last weekend I installed some Gforce axles and I swear things are even better now.

Shelbyshakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went through this with my QA1 CF driveshaft. A brief history on driveline vibrations with my car: My 2017 stock had the typical highway vibration buzz many were plagued with. I finally found a competent Ford dealer and they tracked down the source of the vibration. They rebuilt the entire rear diff - new ring & pinion, new torsen, new bearings, everything. I was skeptical, but the car was smooth as glass afterwards.

Fast forward to a month ago, I had a whipple kit, new clutch and QA1 CF driveshaft installed. I went with the QA1 because it seemed to have the best track record when it comes to NVH. When I picked it up, there sure enough there was vibration. Probably not has bad as the car was when it was stock (before Ford fixed it), but it was there. Felt it in the steering wheel at 50mph, heard a resonance towards 60mph and then felt it in the seat at 70+mph.

I called QA1 and an awesome tech (Steve) spent 20mins of the phone with me. He confirmed these cars are plagued by driveline vibration issues. He recommended I start with the transmission flange and try every position (it's also the easiest to access). Then go to the rear diff, flip it 180* and do the same. Well after the third and final position on the trans flange, the vibration was 95% gone! I never did flip it at the rear diff.

Last weekend I installed some Gforce axles and I swear things are even better now.
Thanks for sharing that info. , i just installed the QA1 CF on my GT350 along with FP lowering springs and sway bars Signature 20’s and track alignment with road force balancing . I don’t have a lot of miles on the car ( just over 500 ) . There was always a vibration at 4000 rpm’s and i thought the CF driveshaft would get rid of it , now its just been a bit amplified . From 5000-8000rpms she seems a little bit smother but at 80-100mph’s there is a lot of vibration happening .I guess i will try following what you did with my mechanic ……any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored