Sponsored

on3performance twin turbo kit

Nomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
you have personal experience with these turbo kits and/or company? Explain your statement a bit.
On3 kits are cheap and will work but they generally do not fit. They usually take some modifications to make them fit properly.

I personally have no experience with them because of their reputation for poor quality.
Sponsored

Rufus5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt/PP vert
I thought t throw my two cents in about On3. I got a buddy at work that is a dealer for the systems and swears by them. He has them on a few LS platforms and has beat the snot out of them for years and hasn't had a problem.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
no finalized eta yet, hoping to get more locked in the next couple days

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Kind of confused about the whole low hanging turbo comments. In the LS world that is where it's at. APS and TTiX are the best kits you can buy and people are making 1200rwhp on them with ease and the packaging just looks better. There is little risk with where the turbos are at. I am running a fender turbo kit on my Z06 but would not hesitate to pick up a TTiX kit that places them lower under the engine.

In the Camaro world the Procharger kit was down low in front of the crank and there were no issues as well.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Well....On3 is using my base,magnetic manual to fab the kit.
Long story but I contacted him soon after I bought my base to see if he needed a "Test" car.He picked up the car in December.:headbang:
I was not going to be driving it in winter and just returned from a deployment so it works well for me.
He has been great keeping me updated every step of the way.

I was going to start a build thread once he was done but I have previously mentioned this with initial pictures on another " Base GT" thread.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16598&page=2
I can tell you he is almost done and should start dyno testing next week.You can check his progress as well on his Instagram but here are the latest pictures he sent me.
The thing looks awesome! I can't wait.

I am also going to be doing a Hellion kit on my premium,DIB auto( I would have done his but I was not sure how long the wait would be for the production kit-and wanted the "cool" factor of the turbos in the engine bay).

I am going to wait until I have the base car with the on3 back before I install that and If I really like the On3 I may just sell the Hellion and send the auto to him for an install. lol

If I do install the Hellion it will make a nice comparison since both will have 55's
Car before He picked it up -

Initial fab process

Turbos.They will be ceramic ball bearing with option for 55 or 61.

Headers:

Prototype parts installed-Getting close-Nice replacement for that hideous bubble tank.
Intercooler is massive.

Sponsored

NvDiS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Oh man thanks olaosunt for the update.. looks real good. Excited to see the kit completed keep us posted!

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
On3 kits are cheap and will work but they generally do not fit. They usually take some modifications to make them fit properly.

I personally have no experience with them because of their reputation for poor quality.

I prefer to have personal experience with something before giving my opinion on it.

-Garrett

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
People have said a lot about the On3 kits, but from people I know that have used them, they simply work, and work well. I think the disconnect is that with this kit, you may need access to a lift and shop, as you may need to "massage" a few pieces. IMO its not a garage on the floor type install.

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
It looks real nice. One thing I like to know, is the header going to carry the weight of the turbo, or will the turbos be connected to frame via a bracket?

If the headers are going to carry that weight, once they get hot the car's movement, will break the header at either end. There was a kit for Corvette that basically all the weight was hanging from headers and they were breaking.

Secondly, you need to cover the hot side for two reasons:
a) Heat radiation will mess up the hydrolic in the tranny.
b) The hot side coming in contact with a splash of water, will crack the hot side.

Update: As of now, I like "Design By Speed" first, the "Hellion" second and thirdly this one, from Quality perspective. I'm a turbo guy and I will tell you quality and proper tubing design can make or break your performance.

Sponsored

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The thickness of the material plays a huge role, too. Schedule 10/40 versus 16 gauge tubing means the difference between the headers being able to support the weight of the turbochargers, versus not.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
It looks real nice. One thing I like to know, is the header going to carry the weight of the turbo, or will the turbos be connected to frame via a bracket?

If the headers are going to carry that weight, once they get hot the car's movement, will break the header at either end. There was a kit for Corvette that basically all the weight was hanging from headers and they were breaking.

Secondly, you need to cover the hot side for two reasons:
a) Heat radiation will mess up the hydrolic in the tranny.
b) The hot side coming in contact with a splash of water, will crack the hot side.

Update: As of now, I like "Design By Speed" first, the "Hellion" second and thirdly this one, from Quality perspective. I'm a turbo guy and I will tell you quality and proper tubing design can make or break your performance.
I spoke to Chad about the above concern.
He is very busy and not much in to forums but said he did not mind if I posted his response below. I am sure this is going to be a quality system despite it retails cost which is going to be half that of hellion.
I am doing the Hellion TT on my auto,honestly in part because I cant wait to get my boost on(I considered the KB as well) and the coolness factor of the turbo's in the engine bay.

"To actually address the concern, you cannot mount it to the frame. That will crack it quicker than anything as the engine is not solid mounted. If you mount the header to the frame, the engine torques and will be pulling when the engine moves independently of the frame.... That will stress the material more than anything by bracing it to anything other than the engine/trans itself. The turbo's are light, only a little over 11lbs, its of no concern to me with weight. The material is 3mm wall and a very durable piece. This isn’t just a standard .030-.062 which most people build with.

The heat is not going to effect the trans lines, that's just flat out not going to happen. As far as water goes, its no different than stock. They don’t cover up the belly of the car so why would this be any different? Its not going to be an issue"

cp5899

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2015 ingot silver gt pp
This kit looks nice as does the price. I've built many turbo setups for my own cars using the best parts I could buy on some builds and never came any where close to what some of these turbo kits cost. Nice to see a kit being designed/sold at a real world cost. Look forward to seeing the results.

Headers breaking from the weight of the turbo is not an issue if the right thickness material is used. On top of that these are not huge turbos. Now if your trying to hang twin 101mm or something big then you need to work out something to support the weight. In the early 2000's I built an automatic car with a Borg Warner s400. That thing was huge and came in around 50 lbs.

Love the build and can't wait for the results.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I prefer to have personal experience with something before giving my opinion on it.

-Garrett
Or you can simply go by the opinions of many owners stating they are cheap and require "massaging" to work right.
Sponsored