Ok… Question on bbk shorty headers

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Okay, I’ve been searching the forum for the last few weeks trying to get information on shorty headers ( dyno numbers or gains, whys and why nots)

I’ve heard the “get Lth’s” “not worth it” etc.and truthfully I’m interested in getting long tubes, just not interested in the 1k price a long with needing to also buy a mid pipe from one of these suppliers in order for the install to work.

Which leads me to my question, why are shorties not worth it, I have a 15 auto gt and seen someone dyno on yt at 409, which is about right with the 20% pt loss right? There’s absolutely no Gaines that makes the shorties worth it?

my driving is high way and city.Do a few friendly pulls with friend. But I never hit a track for quarter mile times.

thank you
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
There was a lot of thought and engineering put into the stock headers. No aftermarket shorty will out perform the stockers.

OP
OP

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
This is the dyno seen
0CB5E16D-1A96-4CF0-A0BC-D7527592F640.png

From this video

Forgot to mention they are tuned lengths

also this is a guys build with shorties installed.
Again, with him being an auto, wouldn’t his dyno numbers be about right sense autos dyno lower than manual?

Fast forward to 7:30

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You can make a dyno say anything. Show me some 1/4 mile trap speeds.
Ford engineers fought the bean counters hard for the as supplied stock headers.They are designed to pull exhaust out of a firing cylinder.

Long tubes will offer an improvement, so would removing the cats.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
You can make a dyno say anything. Show me some 1/4 mile trap speeds.
Ford engineers fought the bean counters hard for the as supplied stock headers.They are designed to pull exhaust out of a firing cylinder.

Long tubes will offer an improvement, so would removing the cats.
Got it, so if I’m going to do headers, as they all say, go long. This means I have to purchase a mid pipe as well correct?

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
There are plenty of great options out there for LTHs under 1k with supplied mid pipes from what I recall. TSP/SP/LTH off the top of my head. Hit up a few forum vendors too, they can usually work in a nice discount.

I am running LTH brand headers and couldn’t be more pleased with the fit and finish.

OP
OP

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
See I’m seeing LTH for $1622, I can’t find sp and I just seen that tsp is like 980. I may have to look that route, and I’m sorry I’m not really sure how to contact a forum vendor.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Get rid of the choke points on a stock GT exhaust and I'd be shocked if there was more than a 6hp difference between the factory headers & LTH.

OP
OP

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Get rid of the choke points on a stock GT exhaust and I'd be shocked if there was more than a 6hp difference between the factory headers & LTH.
I’ve heard this before, during my searches I’ve seen someone say the bottle necks are the real problems. Just don’t know what said points are to know which parts to replace.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve heard this before, during my searches I’ve seen someone say the bottle necks are the real problems. Just don’t know what said points are to know which parts to replace.
Namely the cat inlet/outlet, before/after the factory resonator, the flexpipe on the pass side exhaust to name a few.

OP
OP

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Namely the cat inlet/outlet, before/after the factory resonator, the flexpipe on the pass side exhaust to name a few.
So a x or h pipe, and hi flow cats a solve those right?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So a x or h pipe, and hi flow cats a solve those right?
Yes Sir. With a x/h-pipe make sure the opening on the inside is well defined. I've seen H-pipes that the hole wasn't even a inch across. For cats, 3" in/out minimum, and get rid of anything else that necks down.

OP
OP

Kingofhearts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Remy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Got it, I currently have a magnaflow res tru x pipe. But I believe that it’s 2.5 all the way through. Anyway I could get away with a 3 inch Catt?
Sponsored