Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I didn't want to ask this in a thread started by a vendor so sorry for duplication. I have the Mishimoto oil separator. It works very well for keeping oil out of the throttle body, I've never had a drop of oil in there. In the other thread the question came up, is a CC like the JLT or Mishimoto good enough or do I really need the UPR dual CC.

I always thought if I'm not running any more boost, I probably don't need the UPR dual CC, the dirty side CCs should be sufficient. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge would add their opinions.

One thing that made me think of this is my exhaust tips are always black and they're supposed to be chrome. I can have them spotless and in a few days they're covered again. I never have smoke but just thinking is that possibly oil that might be caught by a clean side CC? Do people with the UPR dual CCs have clean exhaust tips? Everyone else have constant black tips?
Sponsored

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
i have the clean side catch can and my exhaust tips are still black i have a hi-flow cat so that may make a difference FWIW my clean side catch can hasn't caught any oil since installing(15k miles) kinda annoying tbh for the money spent but whatever

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Oily residue would be on the bottom, and that could be a bigger issue. Maybe time for a compression test? But, I'd assume that's likely carbon residue on your exhaust... Combine it with moisture and you may have some weird gunk.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
i have the clean side catch can and my exhaust tips are still black i have a hi-flow cat so that may make a difference FWIW my clean side catch can hasn't caught any oil since installing(15k miles) kinda annoying tbh for the money spent but whatever
Well that is VERY good to hear! I don't think I'll be spending the money on that then. I'm sure the dirty side is a different story right. I empty mine every 5,000 miles when I change my oil. There's always a little in there. I was just hoping maybe that would be the solution to the dirty exhaust tips.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Oily residue would be on the bottom, and that could be a bigger issue. Maybe time for a compression test? But, I'd assume that's likely carbon residue on your exhaust... Combine it with moisture and you may have some weird gunk.
Definitely carbon residue, not oil. I just thought maybe it was from oil vapor going through the hot exhaust turning into carbon. I don't know where the carbon comes from. If I wipe off the tips after driving it once, it is just like dry black powder.

Sponsored

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
I have the UPR dual valve CC and the clean side CC, and my tips are always black as well. The dual valve CC is great, but I wouldn't spend any money on the clean side can. I haven't had any oil in mine since it was installed almost a year ago, and it causes a CEL.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Well that is VERY good to hear! I don't think I'll be spending the money on that then. I'm sure the dirty side is a different story right. I empty mine every 5,000 miles when I change my oil. There's always a little in there. I was just hoping maybe that would be the solution to the dirty exhaust tips.
No problem yes the dirty side catch can is a different story lots of oil captured so much so I bought an EZ Oil Drain Valve to help cleaner and faster emptying well worth the price IMO

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
No problem yes the dirty side catch can is a different story lots of oil captured so much so I bought an EZ Oil Drain Valve to help cleaner and faster emptying well worth the price IMO
Wow! Do you have any other mods, like a tune running higher boost? Did you have the oil separator TSB done, using the more efficient separator? Did you gut your PCV or is it stock?

I did the separator TSB but otherwise stock PCV and running the Ford Performance tune and I get only a little oil in there.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Wow! Do you have any other mods, like a tune running higher boost? Did you have the oil separator TSB done, using the more efficient separator? Did you gut your PCV or is it stock?

I did the separator TSB but otherwise stock PCV and running the Ford Performance tune and I get only a little oil in there.
thats a good point if I had the TSB done I would probably get a lot less in there but since the install the PCV has been gutted

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Would a CC like the JLT combined with UPR's crankcase breather provide the same benefit as only using the UPR DV CC?

Sponsored
OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I have read many of the threads concerning the catch cans and still undecided if I need one. If I don't track or race the car is it worth the money?

Thanks
I'd say that is a very easy question, yes! I've never heard of anyone that has a CC installed not getting any oil in it. I believe that oil would end up going through your intake, artificially increasing your octane which could lead to detonation. If I or many others didn't get oil in the cans, I'd say no.

16EcomustangDIB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Camaro SS1LE
Definitely carbon residue, not oil. I just thought maybe it was from oil vapor going through the hot exhaust turning into carbon. I don't know where the carbon comes from. If I wipe off the tips after driving it once, it is just like dry black powder.
Black carbon residue or soot on exhaust tip are caused by rich fuel mixture like when you go wot and see your afr dip to 10 to 11 or even lower range. Catted or not, stock or tuned, you should and will be seeing soot on your tips.

OP
OP
jbailer

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Black carbon residue or soot on exhaust tip are caused by rich fuel mixture like when you go wot and see your afr dip to 10 to 11 or even lower range. Catted or not, stock or tuned, you should and will be seeing soot on your tips.
Ahh so it's fuel, not oil, good to know. Thanks! Well, I'm definitely not fixing that...
Sponsored