2016 V8 GT

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
Hey G Rush! I'm not sure about the check valve that you are referring to. The only valve that I am aware of in the PCV circuit is the PCV Valve located in the top of the r/h rocker box (the outlet from the engine). The PCV valve generally only regulates flow - the only time it should close is if air tries to travel back into the engine crankcase from the inlet manifold (backfire). The catch can should not need an additional check valve. I'm not sure about the UPR catch can - I have the Ford Performance one. It definitely does not have any check valves. Is the UPR product different?

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford
This is probably heresy for this thread - but is the catch-can a solution looking for a problem? My internet research from un-biased sources (ie not those selling catch-cans), suggests that there isn't a problem with multi-port injected engines. It suggested that they are worthwhile for direct injection engines because the oil vapours can build-up on the back of the inlet valves. However, the fuel washing past the valves on multi-port injected engines washes any oil off.

Engines have been re-burning crankcase fumes for decades - why is it a problem for this engine ?

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
Engineering Explained did a vid on oil catch cans today, worth a watch: [ame]

FPV GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TY GT
Engines have been re-burning crankcase fumes for decades - why is it a problem for this engine ?
Too true.
However, as todays engines are being run leaner, their is a greater potential for a change in the stoichiometric mix.
Pre dentonation is real danger with the increased carbon build up on the piston tops.

In the ole days a lot of modders ran pcv straight to air, and these issues did not present.

I can only go on my experience and what I have seen. The modular motors are very oily breathers.
I cant remember the post number but I posted a picture that speaks a thousand words. It shows the plenum removed with the visble runners. There is a sunstantial amount of oil sitting around the base.
At the very least, this oil will with hold some amount of heat, contributing to increased iat. Tho this may be only minor, if you add up the benefits that a catch can / oil seperator provides......it is all positive

Sponsored

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Hey G Rush! I'm not sure about the check valve that you are referring to. The only valve that I am aware of in the PCV circuit is the PCV Valve located in the top of the r/h rocker box (the outlet from the engine). The PCV valve generally only regulates flow - the only time it should close is if air tries to travel back into the engine crankcase from the inlet manifold (backfire). The catch can should not need an additional check valve. I'm not sure about the UPR catch can - I have the Ford Performance one. It definitely does not have any check valves. Is the UPR product different?
Yes UPR is different and has a check on return

I assumed [MENTION=14652]BroncosXR8[/MENTION] had a UPR...

BroncosXR8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EL II XR8, 2015 Mustang GT on the way!
Ok so checked it again this morning and after a run up Putty road and back... not a drop.

I blew through it today and there doesnt seem to be any valve opening or closing.

There are two pipes/taps, let's call them A and B, because for some completely unfathomable reason UPR don't mark them.

Tap A is the one that goes through to the middle of the device and drains into the can.
Tap B is the one that collects air from the inside perimeter of the can, drags it up through the mesh/gauze, hopefully trapping the oil in the bottom of the can and out through the tap.

At least this is the way I think it works.

I have Tap A connected to the head, and Tap B connected to the manifold.
No obvious leaks or loss if pressure that I can detect.

Tap B has the end of the pipe marked with some kind of paint/marker, which I originally thought meant it should go in the 'dirty' side, ie the head.

Can someone please tell me if I've got this all wrong? :frusty:
After 12,000km my engines probably coated in oil by now anyway.
IMG_6487.jpg
IMG_6490.jpg
IMG_6492.jpg
IMG_6495.jpg

Kaps

Mustang maniac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback PP Auto
Standing at the front of the car, the hose coming out from the left side of Manifold cover, is the one with oil.
Did you notice any oil in that hose?
If you blow in this hose with other end connected to CAN, there should be air coming out of other end of the CAN and there is no valve.

The hose coming out of the CAN and connecting under the Manifold cover in the middle/top should carry the clean air.
Was that clean?
If you blow in this hose from the end that goes in manifold it should be blocked. But if you blow in this hose from the end that connects to the CAN, it should open.

My UPR CAN is the one that mounts near the radiator so the connection are different otherwise I would have confirmed the connection too.

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
what Kaps said.

Also, the 'C' section in the top of the catch can should be oriented at the discharge end i.e. this is the highest point of the can, where clean air exits.

BroncosXR8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EL II XR8, 2015 Mustang GT on the way!
Also, the 'C' section in the top of the catch can should be oriented at the discharge end i.e. this is the highest point of the can, where clean air exits.
I can only imagine you mean at the top of the can between the taps if looking into it, the C you mention is the 'empty' space.

This issue is seriously driving me batty, I consider myself pretty confident with mechanicals and technical issues and this just keeps stumping me.

I've done a very quick paint drawing to show how I have it installed, it sounds the opposite to what your saying G RUSH.

Can you guys please let me knwo where I'm going wrong. 5,000km and not a drop of oil collected:frusty:
Catch Can flow diagram.jpg

Sponsored

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
I can only imagine you mean at the top of the can between the taps if looking into it, the C you mention is the 'empty' space.

This issue is seriously driving me batty, I consider myself pretty confident with mechanicals and technical issues and this just keeps stumping me.

I've done a very quick paint drawing to show how I have it installed, it sounds the opposite to what your saying G RUSH.

Can you guys please let me knwo where I'm going wrong. 5,000km and not a drop of oil collected:frusty:
As drawn, you have it correct - it's exactly what i'm saying. The 'C section' empty space is the highest point in the can where the 'blue' air exits.

inlet.PNG

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
Just noticed your filter body section is different to the ones a number of us have ordered. I'd be going back to UPR...

When did you purchase yours?

This is what I have (pic courtesy of tantash):

catchcan UPR pic 2.jpg

Mustang-GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lahiru
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just noticed your filter body section is different to the ones a number of us have ordered. I'd be going back to UPR...

When did you purchase yours?

This is what I have (pic courtesy of tantash):

catchcan UPR pic 2.jpg
Just received mine and it looks like this too. It should be just a matter of connecting those two ends as is while facing the engine bay right?

tantash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anne
Vehicle(s)
2015/16 Mustang GT V8 convertible
Just received mine and it looks like this too. It should be just a matter of connecting those two ends as is while facing the engine bay right?
Attaches like this . . .
IMG_9353.JPG

MM Pony GT

MM Pony GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maks
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Collected around 18-19mls of dark brown oil after 2,500km.
To clarify, installed it with 2,500km on the car and emptied it at 5,000.
Wish I had it on the car sooner.

On a related note, the car is now telling me that I need to change oil soon, at just 5,000km.!!!
image.jpg
Sponsored