Sponsored

Oil overheating at track

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I'm surprised you're noticing much of a difference. What RPM range are you in? Sounded high enough that you'd be above 3500 rpm in third. Have you done both and looked at the sector times with your timer. I did something similar at COTA in Turn 1 and 11 and found that it's only faster if I nail the braking zone and shifts absolutely perfect (and then it was only worth .25 second overall). If I mishifted a tiny bit or compromised my brake zone in the slightest, I lost up to half a second.

All in all, laps are more consistently fast leaving it in third.
When I was at Mustang Roundup last year, one of the participants was just that much quicker than everyone else. I had a conversation with him about what he was doing different, and his data told him that keeping revs at or above 5K was optimal. So this is me trying to replicate that, though he was a much better driver than me.
I'll focus more on the data to see how much it is helping or hindering. Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Did somebody say OVERHEATING? LOL.
Kevin do you still have the side axillary oil cooler together with the fp350s one?
My problem will be fit thentrans cooler of my 5.0 and that beast. Sominwas thinking to run 2 smaller coolers in series. Thoughts?
Nope, only the FP350S cooler. I can't get my oil temps above 283 now - even stringing it out in the 100* Texas heat at COTA. Might go higher on a shorter, slower track. Not sure.

My only concern with the two smaller coolers would be flow restriction. Would have to test to figure out for sure. Thoughts on putting the trans cooler in the rear with a fan (similar to aftermarket diff cooler setups) and keeping the oil cooler upfront? This would reduce drag as well I would think since you wouldn't have more openings in the front.

When I was at Mustang Roundup last year, one of the participants was just that much quicker than everyone else. I had a conversation with him about what he was doing different, and his data told him that keeping revs at or above 5K was optimal. So this is me trying to replicate that, though he was a much better driver than me.
I'll focus more on the data to see how much it is helping or hindering. Thanks for the feedback!
If the shifts are clean, braking perfect and consistent, etc. it definitely could be faster. Only way to tell is to do both for a few laps and then compare the sector data and see what was faster. Generally, with a manual gear box I've always found the best method is the one with the least amount of shifting (within reason).

Even if it is an improvement to be in a lower gear, this can be a good time to spend some time exploring other methods - higher gear, more momentum, brake less, smooth steering inputs, etc. Staying in the torque tends to reinforce early apexing, early throttle, and jerky steering inputs IME. Staying in a higher gear where you have to carry momentum more can help you carry more corner entry speed and smooth out the inputs to minimize. Curious to hear what's faster after your next track day.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I've been working with C&R Racing in Indianapolis to produce a bolt-in radiator/heat-exchanger solution to address both water and oil on-track temperatures
Did this come together? I’d like to know more.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
PM'd, but the GT4 radiator is smaller than stock because the engine is restricted. To build one that would work for us would require a redesign that is not really cost effective. It's really nice stuff, but you pay for it.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
That’s true about streets of willow. My gt350 didn’t perform the best on that track compared to some of the hondas that we’re out there.
I’m not a fast driver by any means, but my best time was a 2:17.89 at Buttonwillow. It was my first time there and I had a lot mechanical sympathy due how hot it was.
What configuration and direction? For example, 13 cw.
Sponsored