Oil filter shortage

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I don’t understand the horde mentality nor buying up an insane amount of wear item parts to drive up cost n then having a market for scalpers to thrive in… just insane.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don’t understand the horde mentality nor buying up an insane amount of wear item parts to drive up cost n then having a market for scalpers to thrive in… just insane.
"F you, I got mine" is the standard attitude these days, and explains most of the behavior you see lol

Of course if we're talking about the guy who bought 5 filters, that's not hoarding, not even a little bit. Pretty normal amount to buy in one sitting.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
"F you, I got mine" is the standard attitude these days, and explains most of the behavior you see lol

Of course if we're talking about the guy who bought 5 filters, that's not hoarding, not even a little bit. Pretty normal amount to buy in one sitting.
Right. And his posts also imply a need for frequent oil changes. I’m in the same boat. Five filters on the shelf is not even a full season.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Right. And his posts also imply a need for frequent oil changes. I’m in the same boat. Five filters on the shelf is not even a full season.
How often are you changing? Guess it depends on what you’re doing too. Playing around on various events, typically change every 3/4 events.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
How often are you changing? Guess it depends on what you’re doing too. Playing around on various events, typically change every 3/4 events.
You’re right. It’s probably time to be more specific. Not all driving events generate the same need for maintenance.

At a recent track day, I spoke with a Ford engineer who is quite actively campaigning a GT350. His practice is to change oil/filter every 4 hours of track time. That’s about where I was already and will be my practice going forward.

I’m not sure how 4 hours of full throttle, high rpm usage corresponds to other driving events. And there’s room for other opinions on service intervals. But suffice it to say, I’d like to both enjoy my car and keep it healthy. Frequent oil/filter changes are an important part of that process.

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
always been “my own rules” that at track days, “on miles” breakdown your oil approximately 5X's faster. Note that oils & filters of today, are absolutely phenomenal even vs 10 years ago. So I’m reality they can handle a lot more abuse than we put at them.

Changing oil every 4hr is as of opinionated as if we get into which oil brand break down faster ;)

The purest way to determine what’s needed for you or anyone at the matter is to take a sample of oil that has 3000 miles on the street and compare it to a sample that did 250 track miles. And then send those samples in for analyzing determine.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'll throw my 2 cents in. I always change my oil after a 3 day track weekend. I always send a sample in for analysis. It always comes back that the oil is in good shape and could certainly go longer. But still, I will always change the oil after 3 days of track, which works out to be about 6 hours or so of track time.

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
So.....it seems we have been offered up some good guidelines for oil change intervals by both an FP engineer and a highly-regarded, well-known member of significant GT350 experience who actually does drive HIS cars. IF said "hoarder" of oil filters needed immediate oil change, has at least 1 driving vacation planned thru multiple states, and can look forward to few track days but is faced with filter shortage with totally unknown re-stocking ETA.....hmmm. Can see 4 filters used in very few months and ONE frickin' filter sitting on the shelf! 'Nuff said. Judge not and you shall not be judged....😉🙂

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen no shortage of parts. I change my oil filter as Ford recommends. I also save the filter in order to cut it open for inspection.

No issues or problems.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Has anyone evaluated the 2062-A filter? It has a poly cage, which obviously isn't as strong as the 2087, but I'm wondering if it's enough of an improvement over the 2062

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I've seen no shortage of parts. I change my oil filter as Ford recommends. I also save the filter in order to cut it open for inspection.

No issues or problems.
Where do you buy your FL-2087 filter?

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Where do you buy your FL-2087 filter?
My local Ford parts department has it. I've had a wholesale account (no sales tax) since I started racing 30 years ago. Good things will happen when you spend time with the people in the back of the dealership.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Haha sounds like the Soviet Union 1986 need to be friends with Lada dealer to get a wiper blade haha.
Do you just ignore the guys that work with the Ford cars on the dealership level and just post on the social media sites? wow that is just awesome dude

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Haha sounds like the Soviet Union 1986 need to be friends with Lada dealer to get a wiper blade haha.
Well, some of this is typical OEM homerism.

I'm willing to bet that someone like Dorman can develop and field an aftermarket cartridge cap like this one I bought for my 4Runner that features an integral internal perforated metal frame.

That means I can run whatever filter media I'd like with virtually no risk of collapse. So instead of paying a small fortune for what should be a minimal cost, I can get the strength of a metal frame and the cost efficiency of a cellulose or synthetic filtration media (cheap).

Dorman Oil Filter Cover 917-016CD (autozone.com)

Why buy and replace the metal frame each time (unless you want people to pay more for it?)

It seems the improvement in the 2087 was increased flow (via material and pleat arrangements) but also strength (with the metal frame). So why couldn't someone develop a metal frame cap and then we could all run the cheap media of choice? Of course, a good % of GT500 and GT350 owners wouldn't budge because of warranty concerns or just flat out Ford nutswinging.

Anyone who doesn't think Ford loves to make juicy margins off consumables is high.

I had the same reaction when I had one of the first full size Tundras and went to replace the windshield wipers and the aftermarket hadn't fielded a product yet and wipers from Toyota were near $100 for the pair. I laughed out loud.
Sponsored