Oil filter O ring It does not lubricate

bateto_007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1
In this clip, the guy says that the rubber grommet on the oil filter doesn't get oiled. What do you think about this?

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Hmmm ... if the reason for not lubing the gasket is vibration causing filters to back off, then the real problem is the vibration and this seems like a band-aid fix that may lead to other problems (like stuck oil filters or damaged gaskets that leak).

This may be are only option, but millions of IC engines have run for decades without vibrating loose oil filters. I would like Ford to be more specific about why this recommendation (but doubt we will get that).

Deleted member 35644

I guess I hadn't heard that oil filters loosening to the point of leaking, or dropping off the engines was a widespread problem. My take: No lubrication on the seal will cause it to drag on the mating surface, making the filter seem like it's tightened more than it is. If there's enough friction, the force of tightening the filter could deform the seal. I don't have a GT or Mach 1, but I will continue lubricating the seal on my Ecoboost. 37 years of lubricating the seal, hand-tightening the filter, then wrenching it an extra quarter turn, never an issue.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Always put a film of fresh oil on the gasket (unless it’s pre-lubricated) Doesn’t take much at all. Hand tighten 3/4-1 turn after gasket meets mating surface.

If you can’t get the filter off during your next oil change by hand, you put it on a little too tight.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
This is a bit of overthinking - the surface on engine block gasket contacts has a layer of oil on it anyway (unless someone cleans it with a degreaser but highly doubt anyone does).

It literally makes no difference. I sometimes forget or take a rubber glove off and don't want to get my fingers dirty and screw the filter back on.

And all lubrication does is affecting the clamp (which is what matters) you're achieving from the torque you apply to the filter.
Sponsored