Sponsored

Mach 1 Oil Filter Gasket, Don't Lubricate?!

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It's true - This info isn't a TSB, it's updated in Ford's PTS/wsm.
For whatever reason, Ford is updating the service procedure for both 2021 Mach 1 AND GT, to not oil the filter gasket/o-ring.

We can speculate - such as Ford received increased instances of oil filters backing out, as these V8s do vibrate, although less so than the Voodo (which changed the canister-style filter), and Ford is covering their butts the cheap way.

Or, with the Shelby GT350 gone, and the Mach 1 taking it's place and more anticipated track use for the Mach 1 (and potentially, they applied this change to the GT, since it uses *essentially* the same 5.0) AND not wanting to spend money on a Canister filter swap campaign, they are updating procedure.

Either way, it does against traditional practise as some of said above; Also, virtually all of us have had no issues with a properly-torqued filter, despite lightly oiling the gasket.

GT Oil Filter Torque.png
Mach 1 Oil Filter Torque.png

Link :
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, they're actually awesome guys. One is the foreman who's a huge Mustang enthusiast, builds and races. He was shocked when the info came across their shop.
guess his story checks out.
still weird though.

I bet you'd be fine either way, just covers their butt

OP
OP
Fraser

Fraser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ewart
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It's true - This info isn't a TSB, it's updated in Ford's PTS/wsm.
For whatever reason, Ford is updating the service procedure for both 2021 Mach 1 AND GT, to not oil the filter gasket/o-ring.

We can speculate - such as Ford received increased instances of oil filters backing out, as these V8s do vibrate, although less so than the Voodo (which changed the canister-style filter), and Ford is covering their butts the cheap way.

Or, with the Shelby GT350 gone, and the Mach 1 taking it's place and more anticipated track use for the Mach 1 (and potentially, they applied this change to the GT, since it uses *essentially* the same 5.0) AND not wanting to spend money on a Canister filter swap campaign, they are updating procedure.

Either way, it does against traditional practise as some of said above; Also, virtually all of us have had no issues with a properly-torqued filter, despite lightly oiling the gasket.

GT Oil Filter Torque.png
Mach 1 Oil Filter Torque.png

Link :

Thanks for providing the great info! I've lightly oiled my 18 GT's filter with no issues, I'll likely continue the same.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks for providing the great info! I've lightly oiled my 18 GT's filter with no issues, I'll likely continue the same.
I'll still be oiling mine too.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Ill be doing my normal lube of the ring and crank it down hand tight as much as I can with one hand. Also have a nice new UPR oil pan plug.
This is Ford covering their ass

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Imo this is one of those things that doesn't matter at all. Lube or not, if you tighten adequately its fine. Non oiled will be a bit harder to remove, but that's why filter wrenches exist lol

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I read torgue 44in lbs........ who are they kidding, no room. 180* most filters are 3/4 turn after hand tight ?

There is the "Pennzoil Oil Filter Cap Wrench" that will work. I am naming this cap wrench because it works, unlike the other 80% out there.

These little buggers have always been a crap shoot. And gave up on them years ago, replaced with a metal ban-style.

Working thru a hole in the belly pan leaves very little room, metal ban style no workie.

Here is a tip, Auto Zombie, caps are sized 78 - 76 mm.
The Pennzoil has a SINGLE size 76 mm, this is important. 100% flute contact of the filter & cap wrench.

And why, the 78 - 76 mm cap, smaller size in the bottom or top of the cap.
Using a 3/8 ratchet or extension, it protrudes into the cap. Not allowing the cap wrench & filter to seat for removal or installation. The cap flutes skip and will not move the filter.

I use a WIX filter and the one for the Mustang is 76mm. So my point is, buy the brand of filter you use.

Oreilles is where I found them, get an oil filter cap wrench that will actuality work

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but this sounds crazy. Are people wiping the oil filter adapter surface dry too? Approaching the first early oil change on my car. I figure it's not a good idea to autocross with break-in oil.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but this sounds crazy. Are people wiping the oil filter adapter surface dry too? Approaching the first early oil change on my car. I figure it's not a good idea to autocross with break-in oil.
I wiped it dry and lubed the oil filter anyway. Like Chitown said, it's just Ford being cheap.

Sponsored

Weeee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, Mach E GT
Bumping this thread up. I recently had my Mach 1 towed to my local dealership with an oil leak. I had an oil change done at this same dealership 330 miles ago. Somehow, magically, the oil filter backed out. Could it be because the oil filter was lubricated? Could it be because the dude doing the oil change didn't tighten down the oil filter? Could it be both? Who knows. What I do know is that it could have cost me my engine.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Old thread but I have always used oil on the gasket but I mark the oil filter and turn it one turn after it lightly touches the pad.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Old thread but I have always used oil on the gasket but I mark the oil filter and turn it one turn after it lightly touches the pad.
Old thread yes but I think it's still relevant. My .02 is if my oil filter comes loose/falls off it could cause a major and expensive problem with the engine. While I don't like taking my Mach 1 to the dealership because I don't like multiple strangers touching my car each visit (advisor, porter and lube tech), I do like the ability to have documentation that their tech completed the oil change and if the filter falls off I will have a better chance of having them take care of the problem. So, it's on them to do the oil change and filer replacement correctly.

3pdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
i'd use a stainless steel worm gear hose clamp and safety wire it if i was worried (i'm not). i'd never dry mount an oil filter.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Why not stick to Ford recommendation? The worse that can happen is the filter gets stuck right?, but you can use a good removal tool if that happens. As much as I hate it I am thinking I will have oil changes done at the dealer at this point though. I need the documentation for whipple warranty as well.
Sponsored