Sponsored

Oil filter leaking - HELP!

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Over the weekend I changed my oil and I replaced my FL820 filter with a new one. Afterwards I looked under the car and it was gushing oil from the filter area. I shut the car off and re-tightened the filter...all good. The next day I get home and see a trail of oil leading to my garage - sure enough it's the filter again.

I tightened this thing as tight as I could, to the point where I don't think I'm going to get it off next time. Anyone had issues with the FL820?? My last filter was used for 8,000 miles, it did look like that one had a small leak when I was changing it.I had to add a quart of oil between my last oil change.
Sponsored

sloppymax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I do not personally use that filter but I have never heard of any widespread issues. I assume the gasket was in tact on the new one?

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I do not personally use that filter but I have never heard of any widespread issues. I assume the gasket was in tact on the new one?
Yeah everything looked good. These are new filters from AM

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

Sounds like something going on with the base plate on that filter. Go grab a new one and put it on before it leaves you stranded, or wrecks your engine.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Got underneath and was able to turn it another 1/4 with a pretty decent amount of effort required. No more leaking

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
never had any issues with the standard FL500S.... Whats the difference?

Sponsored

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
FYSA: You can buy a case of 12 of the standard Motorcraft FL500S filters on Amazon for $55 shipped. That works out to $4.58 per filter. In my case, my F150 happens to use the same filters, so I go through them fairly quickly, but still, for this price you cannot go wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-F...ywords=FL500S&qid=1556665889&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I'm betting the filter you bought from AM was damaged in shipping (or maybe from the factory) and the mating surface wasn't perfectly flat and/or the canister body was out-of-round.

Related: When on sale, Costco sells a case of 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W-20 for $28, IIRC. I stock up when they're on sale.

Deleted member 35786

FYSA: You can buy a case of 12 of the standard Motorcraft FL500S filters on Amazon for $55 shipped. That works out to $4.58 per filter. In my case, my F150 happens to use the same filters, so I go through them fairly quickly, but still, for this price you cannot go wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-F...ywords=FL500S&qid=1556665889&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I'm betting the filter you bought from AM was damaged in shipping (or maybe from the factory) and the mating surface wasn't perfectly flat and/or the canister body was out-of-round.

Related: When on sale, Costco sells a case of 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W-20 for $28, IIRC. I stock up when they're on sale.
Believe it or not WalMart has the Motorcraft filters as well for about the same price.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hey OP, if you still have this issue, did your oil filter assembly look like this? With the oil leaking from the mounting adapter and not the filter?
20191108_165425.jpg

20191108_165642.jpg

Here is a different shot of the oil filter adapter.
SA380_FULLBOOK_FordCoyote_Page_036_Image_0005.jpg

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Ummm no my assembly looks nothing like that. I dont have an adaptor

I finished swapping my winter wheels over the weekend and decided to check my oil (I did check it a few times after this oil change). It was really low, barely a drop on the stick after 6k miles. I see no signs of leaks anywhere...so not sure what's going on. I'm really concerned about any damage that may have been caused by low oil. Why the heck isnt there an indicator? Anyway... still driving fine but I'm going to take it into the dealer and have them change the oil that way if it blows up I can blame them.
Sponsored