Sponsored

Oil filter leaking - HELP!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I've done a LOT of oil changes on different cars and had maybe one bad filter in all that time. I had to tighten the crap out of one because it started leaking. Never figured out why either. It was a factory Honda filter. Maybe tolerances are a bit off or something. If you have any more trouble swap it out for another.
Sponsored

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Did some searching and apparently there is a low oil sensors... I wonder why it didn't go off? I wonder what the threshold is... I literally added 3-4 quarts to get it back to where it should be. Hopefully the sensor is still good and I got lucky catching it when I did.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Did some searching and apparently there is a low oil sensors... I wonder why it didn't go off? I wonder what the threshold is... I literally added 3-4 quarts to get it back to where it should be. Hopefully the sensor is still good and I got lucky catching it when I did.
You had better keep a close eye on that j/s

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Got around to changing my oil yesterday, only 6,700 miles since the last change. No leaks found, not even around the old filter. After filling 6 qts I checked the dip stick and the oil barely even touched the part where the oil level should be...so perhaps false alarm. I added another quart (7 qts total) and that put the oil mark where it needed to be.... I know 2018+ take 8 qts but I swear mine used to read fine with 6...

I also noticed when tightening the oil filter, using all my strength it would continue to tighten ever so slightly... I kept doing this until I couldn't do it any longer... I'm guessing the first time around I just didn't tighten it enough. There were no leaks after my oil change this time.

I'm sending my oil sample to blackstone for testing, which I've done for the previous 3 oil changes so I have a good baseline to test against.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Got around to changing my oil yesterday, only 6,700 miles since the last change. No leaks found, not even around the old filter. After filling 6 qts I checked the dip stick and the oil barely even touched the part where the oil level should be...so perhaps false alarm. I added another quart (7 qts total) and that put the oil mark where it needed to be.... I know 2018+ take 8 qts but I swear mine used to read fine with 6...

I also noticed when tightening the oil filter, using all my strength it would continue to tighten ever so slightly... I kept doing this until I couldn't do it any longer... I'm guessing the first time around I just didn't tighten it enough. There were no leaks after my oil change this time.

I'm sending my oil sample to blackstone for testing, which I've done for the previous 3 oil changes so I have a good baseline to test against.

2018's take 10 quarts of oil.....

Sponsored

15rs3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
15 roush mustang
Hey OP, if you still have this issue, did your oil filter assembly look like this? With the oil leaking from the mounting adapter and not the filter?
20191108_165425.jpg

20191108_165642.jpg

Here is a different shot of the oil filter adapter.
SA380_FULLBOOK_FordCoyote_Page_036_Image_0005.jpg
I have this problem on my 15 Roush. What did you do to fix it?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I have this problem on my 15 Roush. What did you do to fix it?
Took it in as it was under warranty. It was a defective oil adapter/cooler assembly. It took almost a week to get it all sorted out.

Good luck!

-T
Sponsored