Oil Change Question

Racer329

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Just took my 2019 5.0 PP1 out of the garage for the spring. I noticed oil life was 9%. Current Mileage is 15,877. I had the dealer do a full synthetic oil change on 10/13/21 with 14,862. Should I go with the oil life and do another oil change? I usually do them myself but I had Ford Rewards to burn up.

For what it’s worth I plan on keeping this car for the long haul since it’s a fully optioned out PP1 with magnaride (spent way to much money on a GT).
Sponsored

Turning Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue 2021 Mustang GT/CS
Just took my 2019 5.0 PP1 out of the garage for the spring. I noticed oil life was 9%. Current Mileage is 15,877. I had the dealer do a full synthetic oil change on 10/13/21 with 14,862. Should I go with the oil life and do another oil change? I usually do them myself but I had Ford Rewards to burn up.

For what it’s worth I plan on keeping this car for the long haul since it’s a fully optioned out PP1 with magnaride (spent way to much money on a GT).
Are you sure they reset the oil life computer? Although time is a factor, I doubt it would be down to 9% from 1000 miles and sitting.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Agree with Turning Blue. If you change the oil and don't drive it, the oil life will time out after 12 months. 4 months and a 1000 miles it's not going to hit 9%. They didn't reset the oil life monitor.

OP
OP

Racer329

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Agree with Turning Blue. If you change the oil and don't drive it, the oil life will time out after 12 months. 4 months and a 1000 miles it's not going to hit 9%. They didn't reset the oil life monitor.
Bastards, now I wonder if they even changed the oil …..

Sponsored

charlied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Limited
Synthetic oils need to get hot to maintain there longevity. Your oil life probably is diminished if you started your car during storage. Any doubts change it. Its your engines life blood. Oil is cheap.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Bastards, now I wonder if they even changed the oil …..
Too long for anyone at the dealership to remember I'm sure, but if you see oil on the invoice, I'd not worry about it and assume they just forgot to reset the oil monitor. A lot easier to forget to reset the oil change monitor than to bill for oil and "forget" to change it, and someone deliberately wanting to cheat you would probably remember to push the button to reset the monitor too.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can you elaborate on that? I never heard that, so curious where you read it?
False is why lol

allheat does is break stuff down. Oil companies have a rule 5 year shelf life to use by generally.

but even then it’s fine

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
There's moisture in engine blow by and that can get into the oil. If you don't get the oil hot enough once in a while to drive off the moisture you could get corrosion on engine internals. The occasional start during the winter to splash oil around and top off the battery isn't enough to be an issue. It's the repeated short trips that add up over time that result in moisture in the oil.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
There's moisture in engine blow by and that can get into the oil. If you don't get the oil hot enough once in a while to drive off the moisture you could get corrosion on engine internals. The occasional start during the winter to splash oil around and top off the battery isn't enough to be an issue. It's the repeated short trips that add up over time that result in moisture in the oil.
But that's the case with any oil ever created. My question was around why just synthetics need to get hot to extend their life and not conventional oil?

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
But that's the case with any oil ever created. My question was around why just synthetics need to get hot to extend their life and not conventional oil?
That's a mystery. I assumed the moisture issue in the back of his head when synthetic oil came up.

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
In my case, I had an oil change in march 2021, and only 6 months later oil life was 0% and I checked that oil life was 100% when changed. I did no more than 3000 - 4000 km., most of them cruising. I did a reset but I could not resist, and I went for an oil change on november. The mechanic told me that the old oil was quite well, very good colour.
In Europe, a Ford dealer isn´t cheap changing the oil (about 220 €). Lesson learned. I will change the oil in one year, and will reset as many times as I have to do. I still think Ford oil life algorithm is quite conservative.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
In my case, I had an oil change in march 2021, and only 6 months later oil life was 0% and I checked that oil life was 100% when changed. I did no more than 3000 - 4000 km., most of them cruising. I did a reset but I could not resist, and I went for an oil change on november. The mechanic told me that the old oil was quite well, very good colour.
In Europe, a Ford dealer isn´t cheap changing the oil (about 220 €). Lesson learned. I will change the oil in one year, and will reset as many times as I have to do. I still think Ford oil life algorithm is quite conservative.

Agree completely. I think there is reason to suspect the Ford oil life algorithm places a fair amount of weight on profit…