Oil change nightmare

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
This is my first oil change with this car. I knew it was 10qts, so I bought a 16qt oil catch basin from my local parts store. Got everything up and accessible and noticed the plastic drain plug. Figured out how to remove it and did so. Even though I had the basin positioned in such a way that it would catch a steady stream, I wasn't expecting a fire hose stream of oil shooting out. The oil drain opening is huge and drained all 10qts in seconds. It drained so quickly that the drain holes in the basin couldn't keep up and I lost a few quarts on my freshly sealcoated driveway. I've done oil changes on my cars and trucks for decades, but this time I felt like I was 16 again and doing my first oil change. It's a good Monday morning laugh.
Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Yeah - this has been mentioned here many many times, ever since plastic plug was introduced.
Solution is either a bucket to catch the oil. keeping the plug halfway in and regulating the flow (I became really good at it) or aftermarket plug.

Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
if you care about the floor use one of these under the drain pan:

1667228957240.png

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Very similar thing occurred with my first change...suprised how quickly the oil came out and overflowed my drain container as well. Fortunate I had a big metal pan underneath and limited my mess.

I purchased the Femco valve and swapped it in...2nd oil change was much cleaner.

The oil filter change is still a pain, but better in keeping mess to a minimum. On my next change, I think I'm going to punch a small hole in the filter (after its slightly loosened) to drain the majority via a small funnel before removal.

Sponsored

Purple 22 Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS Premium Mischievous Purple Metallic
Just changed mine and 100% agree that no matter what you think your not ready for the first time. I had cardboard down and tried to position the pan to account for the stream. What I didnā€™t account for was the splash, it sprayed well away from the end of the pan, and then almost overflowed the catch area.

Live and learn. Pig pads will be added to my next go round.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
You need a 5 gallon open-top drain pan. Happens to all of us. Clean up good and it'll be all good.

dreamvillian_9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Same exact thing happened to me my first time. I made a huge mess in the garage. Had to drive to Auto Zone with the wifeā€™s car to buy some absorbent. Happened again the second time but it wasnā€™t quite as bad. Eventually went out and bought a 16 quart open pan, from there I just pour it back into the original oil basin I bought and haul it off to Auto Zone to recycle. You live and learn.