Sponsored

Oil Breathers vs Catch Can

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Force induction is a different beast than natural aspiration for crankcase vent solutions.

After buying some crankcase breathers and then reading up on what the PCV system actually does, the breathers now have a permanent home on the shelf. Among other things, removing the PCV system will loose you a few hp. (It's easier to move those pistons with a vacuum below them.

Mostly the PCV pulls vapors from the crankcase (including blow by contaminants) so probably the system is helping to keep your oil cleaner for longer.
Interesting, I never thought of the crankcase vacuum as assistance to piston movement!
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
PCV's don't really remove contaminants out of the crankcase,me thinks...unless those contaminants are evaporated. Changing your oil removes contaminants.
True, the PCV system removes evaporated contaminates like water and combustion blow-by. A proper PCV system flushes fresh air through the crankcase as the vacuum side sucks vapors out of the crankcase.

Open breathers only let out some of the contaminates from the crankcase as the pressure in the crankcase increases, as there is no longer a positive fresh air flow path with open breathers.

If using just open breakers on the valve covers, the only thing you can do to try and cut down on trapped contaminates in the engine is to change the oil more often, and make sure you run the engine to full operating temperature.

You can do a Google search on the subject and find all kinds of talk about this subject ... of course, there are all kinds of opinions. :D

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
Take the extra big boy drag motor step and put on a belt drive vaccum pump!;)
You got some more info on this vacuumcsetup..where can I buy this?
Sponsored