Sponsored

Oh no, here comes the cylinder deactivation nonsense.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I was just mentioning those as examples of what can be done with a smaller V8. Obviously some of those engines cost more than your average Mustang. Point being though that ford could develop an even higher revving V8 engine if it wanted to with a smaller displacement thus saving fuel until you really get into it but there would also be the lack of torque. Of course at the end of the day it comes down to cost and whether to invest on a whole new platform that was only for the mustang or cylinder deactivation. It’s a shame really that ford didn’t do something like a small fpc twin turbo V8 in the ford GT so some of that tech could trickle down into the mustang.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
At the end of that season, the motor is junk.
They wish. Ha ha. An F1 motor is junk well before a season ends; that's why they have 5 or 6 engines for the season, and many times that's not even enough. Let's just compare STREET engines :). Adding to that, the truly high revving motors have all kinds of issues, including the previous Porsche GT3 engines (2014-2017), and even Ford own VooDoos. I think a 7,500 redline, like our Coyotes have, it's the perfect compromise between glorious sounds and decent reliability.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was just mentioning those as examples of what can be done with a smaller V8. Obviously some of those engines cost more than your average Mustang. Point being though that ford could develop an even higher revving V8 engine if it wanted to with a smaller displacement thus saving fuel until you really get into it but there would also be the lack of torque. Of course at the end of the day it comes down to cost and whether to invest on a whole new platform that was only for the mustang or cylinder deactivation. It’s a shame really that ford didn’t do something like a small fpc twin turbo V8 in the ford GT so some of that tech could trickle down into the mustang.
I think a small displacement, high revving DOHC V8 paired with small twins would be a great option at some point. Smaller turbos would assist with the lack of torque a small displacement V8 would produce and help keep the HP high and potentially produce impressive efficiency.

Something about an 8k RPM, twin turbo V8 sounds tempting!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Something about an 8k RPM, twin turbo V8 sounds tempting!
rip off a recent Audo RS5 engine then. :)
low 4L v8 with short stroke and big bore (think 105mm) can rev to 9K or more without piston speeds getting out of hand. You just need to use the correct parts for the rest of the head for it to survive.

The LT1 is a great motor. I'm pretty sure there is only one version of it with AFM hardware built in and then not enabled on the manuals maybe that is what you meant?
Can't speak to whether the hardware exists or not on the '1LE' trims (my guess it doesn't) but turning it on/off is up to the ECU so if your car comes with that feature turned on, just have a tuner disable it.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
rip off a recent Audo RS5 engine then. :)
low 4L v8 with short stroke and big bore (think 105mm) can rev to 9K or more without piston speeds getting out of hand. You just need to use the correct parts for the rest of the head for it to survive.

Can't speak to whether the hardware exists or not on the '1LE' trims (my guess it doesn't) but turning it on/off is up to the ECU so if your car comes with that feature turned on, just have a tuner disable it.
That would be sick. I’ve seen a few videos of people wringing a Coyote to 9k, but not sure what was changed (if anything) for valvetrain.

Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Gas engine is going bye bye in 8-15 years. Instead of making political statements (nobody cares) embrace the last of them. Gas had a good run. You could be dead tomorrow. Next...

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Gas engine is going bye bye in 8-15 years.
We heard this fifteen years ago. I bet we'll still hear it fifteen years from now.
Twenty years ago EVs were supposed to become good enough to replace gas engines in ten years. Ten years ago they were supposed to become good enough to replace gas engines in ten years. Today they're supposed to replace gas engines in ten years. Same old, same old...
Gas engines, including V8s, have evolved massively, to the point that today they're much better in all respects than they've ever been, whereas EVs are still the same crappy, barely usable shopping carts for hipsters that they were ten or twenty years ago.

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
You can't evolve if you don't push the boundaries in tech. We wouldn't even have cell phones if Motorola hadn't wanted something better than home landlines. Even though the first cell phones were the size of bricks, look at where we are now. I use my phone as my car stereo with a 15" touchscreen attached to my car. All from a little cell phone.
Emissions are destroying our ozone layer and we need to make changes before its too late. Those are facts, not fake news.
The hell with the v8, give me a V6 turbo/s that I can baby around the city getting decent mpg and rip it up outside the city. We have to let things evolve or we'll never improve anything.

zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
I just read that Ford will be offering the 5.0 Coyote V-8 in the 2021 F-150 with the dreaded cylinder deactivation technology. Going from 8 to 4 cylinders yields a 1% improvement in fuel economy according to Ford. This mistake cannot be too far off for the Mustang Coyote as they share the same engines. Both GM and FCA have these system and are having multiple failures with high oil consumption and early premature wear. Many thanks to Obama and his team for creating this consumer fiasco for all. Hopefully this tech can be deactivated by the aftermarket when it arrives.
And you’re an idiot.

Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
We have it in the UK, we have a golf R too, rabbit in the US?? And it's on there, we both cant stand it. First thing we do is deactivate it before setting off. Cant see how it does the starter motor any good having to continually restart. Glad I dont have it in my mustang, I like to hear it burbling away at the traffic lights. Had a contest car VW touran I think, 1.2 litre and went to 2 cylinder when you were at a constant speed.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Gas engines, including V8s, have evolved massively, to the point that today they're much better in all respects than they've ever been, whereas EVs are still the same crappy, barely usable shopping carts for hipsters that they were ten or twenty years ago.
Like it or not engines like our Coyote are being legislated out of existence. Don’t know exactly when, but it will happen. As far as EV’s you may not get to see latest models in Romania but let me assure you, Tesla, for all their faults, is not a crappy, barely useable shopping cart.

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
Is there a written rule that says only political responses can be made in specific political threads?....
Asking for a friend

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
I just read that Ford will be offering the 5.0 Coyote V-8 in the 2021 F-150 with the dreaded cylinder deactivation technology. Going from 8 to 4 cylinders yields a 1% improvement in fuel economy according to Ford. This mistake cannot be too far off for the Mustang Coyote as they share the same engines. Both GM and FCA have these system and are having multiple failures with high oil consumption and early premature wear. Many thanks to Obama and his team for creating this consumer fiasco for all. Hopefully this tech can be deactivated by the aftermarket when it arrives.
My wife's 2006 300C had none of the issues you mention. We saw just under 21 mpg on the interstate at a nickel over. It was still running strong with no oil issues and plenty of power when we traded it last year.
Sponsored