Sponsored

Oh no, here comes the cylinder deactivation nonsense.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
A Euro 6.2 gas engine in good working order is one of the least polluting man-made things. It produces mostly just carbon dioxide and water. Ironically, if you run it in a badly polluted place it will exhaust cleaner air than the one it breathes in.
On the other hand, an EV is an ecological disaster on wheels. The worldwide supply of lithium is limited, its extraction is one of the most polluting industries, its transportation across the globe is a polluting and energy-hungry affair, and the electricity used to charge the car comes mostly from burning coal and gas.
So if you want your kids to breathe fresh air, you should use a good, fairly new gas engine and encourage them to do the same.

But anyway, this wasn't about whether I agreed with the extinction of gas engines or not, but whether it will actually happen during our lifetime. And no, I don't think it will. EVs today are as far from fulfilling the needs of the masses as they were twenty years ago.
For reference, can you give me an example of what car model this 6.2 gas engine is in?

Yes, lithium extraction has its consequences. So does fracking. Fracking causes groundwater pollution and earthquakes. I wouldn't say lithium is any worse. Lithium gets a bad rap because people dispose of it the wrong way. You can't just take it to a landfill. You have to take it to a hazardous waste or battery recycling location.

I never said anything about gas engines going away in our lifetime. My statement you replied to was the V8 going away. Gasoline isn't the answer and neither is a fully electric vehicle(right now, this could change) since neither are renewable energy sources. Instead, gasoline will be forced out because of finite resources. A fully electric car will make it further because of 1 thing. You can make a battery with different materials. At some point we will find a better alternative to lithium that's also economical. This alternative will be what is in batteries in fully electric cars going forward.

Electricity in most places is still powered by coal and gas yes. But that's rapidly changing. There are several countries that are over halfway hydro, wind, solar, or a combination. It's a slow process to completely change over energy sources. It takes decades.
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
For reference, can you give me an example of what car model this 6.2 gas engine is in?
All new vehicles sold in Europe since 2018. This includes the European version of the third generation Coyote (with GPF).

Edit: I think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't talking about a 6.2 liter engine. I meant the Euro 6.2 emissions standard.

A fully electric car will make it further because of 1 thing. You can make a battery with different materials. At some point we will find a better alternative to lithium that's also economical.
Yes, eventually. In some distant future. But we're not there yet, and won't be for quite some time.

Electricity in most places is still powered by coal and gas yes. But that's rapidly changing. There are several countries that are over halfway hydro, wind, solar, or a combination. It's a slow process to completely change over energy sources. It takes decades.
Indeed. Many decades. Until then, gasoline is king.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
At least the mustang will live on...Mach-E

Sorry couldn't resist lol

Travel a lot for work so lots of rentals, the shutting off at stoplights thing isn't that bad at all. It's all about brake pedal modulation. Heavy on the brake at a stop and it turns off, light on the brake and still stopped, engine stays on. Soooo when making that free right, take it easy on the brake pedal and you're golden. Also, it will continue to run depending on the HVAC situation if it needs to keep the AC running to cool you off. Have yet to have any issues with this but ALL of my co workers freak out. It's like watching someone come to a round about for the first time, world ending. I find it entertaining. Saying all of this, I wouldn't like it on any cars I actually owned but only because the wear and tear seems questionable to me.

Cylinder shut off is terrible but so's the tick and rattle my car makes and they're perfectly normal sounds. At some point, and I know this is very hard, we should trust the engineers at least a little. I mean, they got us this far right?

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
My 2007 Tahoe has cyl deactivation 210,000 miles, my Wife's 2006 Buick Rainier V8 also has it, 235,000 miles, original engines, it has not given me any problem. I will warn that you have to do an oil system clean out every so often to remove sledge, otherwise it will give you issues. The GM version somehow is mechanical, not sure exactly how it works, somehow it deactivates lifters...
Like anything, take good care of it and it should last...

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
My 2019 Ram does this and you cannot even tell. From what I understand, it is fine until you start messing with the exhaust setup.
That might be it because I do have a Flowmaster Outlaw direct replacement muffler on the truck.

KoreanKK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KK
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost 101A automatic
Pretty sure Trump can abolish it. Sir, i hardly believe this is a political decision but about ethics. Without America pushing for these strict regulations, we could be all getting 15~20 mpg cars that emits twice carbon dioxide. This is an unpopular opinion, but I personally believe mustangs should eventually go hybrid. Ecoboost with electric motor on the front wheels would be nice for faster launch too.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Pretty sure Trump can abolish it. Sir, i hardly believe this is a political decision but about ethics. Without America pushing for these strict regulations, we could be all getting 15~20 mpg cars that emits twice carbon dioxide. This is an unpopular opinion, but I personally believe mustangs should eventually go hybrid. Ecoboost with electric motor on the front wheels would be nice for faster launch too.
You might want to keep that opinion to yourself if in the presence of GT owners. :like::cwl::crackup:

KoreanKK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KK
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost 101A automatic
You might want to keep that opinion to yourself if in the presence of GT owners. :like::cwl::crackup:
Well look at E53 AMG, for instance; Mercedes takes advantage of hybrid system for not only fuel efficiency, but also for performance gain. The regulation will eventually forcefully retire the Coyote engine.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well look at E53 AMG, for instance; Mercedes takes advantage of hybrid system for not only fuel efficiency, but also for performance gain. The regulation will eventually forcefully retire the Coyote engine.
It's not about efficiency and it's not about performance. It about having an All American V8. And that intoxicating sound doesn't hurt either. We all know the time will come. We are just not looking to push it.

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It's not about efficiency and it's not about performance. It about having an All American V8. And that intoxicating sound doesn't hurt either. We all know the time will come. We are just not looking to push it.
Hopefully the time won’t come... at least not for another 30-40 years. By then doubt I’ll care...

I had cylinder deactivation in my dodges it was ok... didn’t see the benefit though... Maybe if I didn’t have it and the fuel was terrible I’d welcome it.

1miracle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang EcoBoost
You mean past tense right. Last I read he was wanting to cut EPA by another 26%. Since he's been in office there's been a big increase in carbon emissions, pantry is articles or there on it (not including pandemic since there's been a big chunk of people working remotely). The US regulations for emissions have been relaxed with 45th running things, that's just a fact sadly. I personally would welcome a performance AWD ecoboost hybrid. V8 purists will get over it or get left behind.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I tested the MDS in my Charger using the same stretch of highway. I had an early morning dentist appointment that I drove to in "street", letting the car go 4-cylinder. It rarely did, which I think has to do with the speed I was going. Maybe 30% of thd time was in 4-cyl mode. On the way back I drove in "track" but tried to be as gentle as I was on the way out. I got better gas mileage in track. Same road, same average speed, and track mode with all 8 firing was more efficient. It might be worth something if you set the CC on 55 the whole way, but what's the point in that?
Yeah I don’t give a damn either way... didn’t buy this car to get 20 miles per gallon lol...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
A V8 in 4-cyl mode sounds horrible if you have a loud exhaust, like the AE in normal+ modes. To be that crap would be a deal-breaker. My brother had an SRT Cherokee, and the cylinder deactivation was NOT defeatable by the owner (maybe a tune, but not from the factory). It also vibrated horribly. We put Borla cans, which sounded a bit nicer than stock, but you can't remove a spring-activated exhaust valve they have, or you'd hear that horrible sound in 4-cyl mode. He sold it sooner than he wanted, due to that. Also a deal-breaker for me is a freaking iron block at this day and age, so no Challengers or Chargers for me. I prefer those engines to the junk GMs, but at least those are all aluminum. The Mustang is also borderline front heavy, so an iron engine would have also pushed it over the limit IMO.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I don’t give a damn either way... didn’t buy this car to get 20 miles per gallon lol...
I get 21.3mpg from both my Coyote3 and LT4. And 23.5 from the EB2.3.
If Ford wants to find efficiencies they should work on sliding cams instead.
Sponsored