Official GT350 Track Attack Attendance Thread

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
Yes, during the 2 day Track Attack session I attended in September 2020, the SC2s were on the race-prepped Mustang GTs that were used on Day 2. On Day 1, the GT350s we drove had PSS tires, likely because there were no GT350s at that time newer than a 2018 model that the students used, and the PSS was the OEM tire for that model year and prior.
If you opted/paid for the cup 2’s for day two that is what you got. Unless it rains, then they take them off and you get a credit.
Sponsored

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K2498; 2014 M-B SLK350; 2010 Maxima SV;
If you opted/paid for the cup 2’s for day two that is what you got. Unless it rains, then they take them off and you get a credit.
Exactly right! I did pay extra specifically for SC2s on Day 2 on my Mustang GT. In fact, the instructors said they were discussing whether or not to remove the SC2s for the last session due to the rain on Day 2, but decided to leave them on and keep us in the lead-follow format at the end of the day.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yes, during the 2 day Track Attack session I attended in September 2020, the SC2s were on the race-prepped Mustang GTs that were used on Day 2.
Thanks, I had forgotten about the Day 2 option.

Exactly right! I did pay extra specifically for SC2s on Day 2 on my Mustang GT. In fact, the instructors said they were discussing whether or not to remove the SC2s for the last session due to the rain on Day 2, but decided to leave them on and keep us in the lead-follow format at the end of the day.
How did the SC2s do in the rain?

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I had forgotten about the Day 2 option.

How did the SC2s do in the rain?
I thought they did surprisingly well, better than I expected, given how shallow the tread is on them. In my opinion, it seemed like they validated comments from Billy Johnson (Billy J Racing) wherein I recall he wrote that the compound used in the SC2s for FP afforded them wet weather grip approaching that of the Michelin PSS, or words to that effect. His point was that the SC2s for FP are more capable in the rain than most people realize, within limits, of course.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I thought they did surprisingly well, better than I expected, given how shallow the tread is on them. In my opinion, it seemed like they validated comments from Billy Johnson (Billy J Racing) wherein I recall he wrote that the compound used in the SC2s for FP afforded them wet weather grip approaching that of the Michelin PSS, or words to that effect. His point was that the SC2s for FP are more capable in the rain than most people realize, within limits, of course.
I remember that comment too. After your experience would you choose SC2s over PSS in wet weather? Sorry for being off topic.

Sponsored

GT4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I remember that comment too. After your experience would you choose SC2s over PSS in wet weather? Sorry for being off topic.
Funny you should ask, since I almost addressed that in my previous comment. I plan to replace my current OEM SC2s with a new set of the same size when the time comes, ensuring they are the FP variety. I feel confident if I'm caught in the rain that the SC2s, if used prudently in those conditions, will see me through. This way I'll still have maximum tire adhesion/handling capability when the road is dry, which will be the majority of the time I use my Shelby.

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350

What setting were you using? Track mode or wet mode?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Funny you should ask, since I almost addressed that in my previous comment. I plan to replace my current OEM SC2s with a new set of the same size when the time comes, ensuring they are the FP variety. I feel confident if I'm caught in the rain that the SC2s, if used prudently in those conditions, will see me through. This way I'll still have maximum tire adhesion/handling capability when the road is dry, which will be the majority of the time I use my Shelby.
Great perspective. I recently changed from OEM SC2s to PSS. Made the switch for two reasons.

1. I didn't trust the SC2s in the rain (perhaps an unfounded concern). On the day I picked the car up I drove it about 5 hours in wet, near freezing weather to get home, and it did fine, but I drove like a granny. At track attack, I asked a couple instructors about SC2s, and they each said they love them in dry conditions but didn't trust them in the rain--it rained hard both days and they kept us in Sport Mode. There were a couple of 2019+ GT350s in the group, and their SC2s had been replaced by PSS. This may be to save money, availability, or they FPRS may be applying the KISS rule, don't know.

2. SC2s wear out faster on the street. I have a set of PSS that I took off my 2016 at about 12k miles and they had nearly as much life left in them as SC2s with 4k miles. On the track, dry, I have no doubt SC2s would perform better. But I don't foresee myself being able to wring them out on the street--not sure I'm good enough to appreciate the difference on the track. Having driven both on unrestricted Autobahn, I can't sense a difference on dry road, though there are admittedly no tight corners like there are on a track. In fact, with the Gurney flap off, the 19 (with SC2s) felt less planted than the 16 (with PSS)--again, not driving twisties and not a scientific comparison.

Anyway, thanks again. It's good to have multiple data points.

Enduro Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT PP (RIP)
Great perspective. I recently changed from OEM SC2s to PSS.
A few days after taking delivery of my car, I drove in back to the dealership in the rain to get a few items fixed. I had almost brand-new SC2s on a rough highway in moderate-wet conditions. Maybe it was the tramlining that was the bigger concern (the wheel nearly jumped out of my hands on uneven asphalt in a construction zone), but I did not feel at ease.

The SC2s felt great on the track—lots of grip, and less squirrelly than either the PSSs on my old 2015 GT or the PS4Ss that I would eventually put on my GT350. However, I was still new to the car, and hadn’t been to the track in some time, so my points of reference could’ve been off. But I had a bunch more track days on those SC2s.

I had ~6500 miles on the SC2s for my final track day with those tires. It rained in the late afternoon, and grip went out the window. I had to brake much earlier into corners and was not comfortable staying out on the track. On my drive home, the rainy highway experience seemed similar to when they were new. However, off the highway I was alarmed to find myself getting wheel spin when accelerating from a stop on (wet) intersections! (I was not trying to race anyone from the lights!) The SC2s were finished, and I was glad to replace them with PS4Ss (295 all around).

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Someone did in ours as well. I had a few close calls in the rain my self and thankfully walked away with no damage. Any video footage of it?
Finally looked at my videos. Pretty hard to see but the crash is there.
Now if I can only figure out how to post it. ;-)

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Btw, for those that just attended, how is the area in general regarding covid restrictions? I know some mentioned how the reception dinner wasn't done. But someone I was speaking with, just came through that area last weekend returning from Florida. And they said even though there are signs saying masks and such must be worn, every place he went into seemed to not enforce any of those protocols.
I'm hoping when I go for the May 10 even, things are more open than they were last month.

calduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP, 2019 F-350, 1970 Mach 1, 1971 Bronco and more...
Per my conversation with the coordinator, restrictions should be lifted on May 1, so the 1st night reception will be back on for May attendees onwards! I will attend May 12-14 and am staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I will be in early on the 12th if anyone else is there early (we can take it offline via PM?).

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Per my conversation with the coordinator, restrictions should be lifted on May 1, so the 1st night reception will be back on for May attendees onwards! I will attend May 12-14 and am staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I will be in early on the 12th if anyone else is there early (we can take it offline via PM?).
I'll be there same dates. See you then!
Sponsored