Sponsored

Official: Ford Reveals the Shelby GT350R Mustang!

Kodyray72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SBY Boss 302

289isfine

289isfine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1200R
That blue is simply gorgeous...

Where/how do I get in line?

How many 350R's they gonna' build?

petrolpoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, 1968 Shelby GT350 "tribute" (Coyote powered)
You are confusing DCT's with automatics. For all practical purposes DCT's are automatic, but not in form. They are computer controlled clutched transmissions. Automatics with paddles that are as ford currently produces, as with all American auto manufacturers currently, are torque converter autos. Now they have come a long way with lock up technology and computers. But DCT's they aren't. They only try to mimic them.
This is correct. And the Ford GT is getting a DCT (and an ecoboost V6 with 600+ hp).

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Beg to differ. Most premier road racing series that allow automatics, have automatics because they are faster. Also, I don't think it was Porsche's or Ferrari's thinking to drag race the 911 GT3 or the 458.

Manuals are never faster, drag or road racing, than a modern performance tuned automatic trans.
Indeed. Competition racing has embraced the semi-automated sequential shift for a very long time and with good reason, too, less to go wrong from driver error!

With the unveiling of the new GT today featuring flappy paddles I wouldn't rule out an automated gearbox for the GT350(R) - if the Corvette guys got it to work with their supercharged big torque engine, I'm sure the :ford: fellas can make it with the 5.2.

This R is... unexpected! On paper it looks more European than the BMW M4, which I guess is a good thing??? It's strange to call any pony car sophisticated but the damn thing has more culture than a tenured history professor.

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
The truth is that paddle shifters usually have a double clutch (not always) which means faster shifting and less effort. The GM claims the new Z06 is faster with a 8-speed auto vs. a 7-speed manual.
paddle shifters in exotics are DCT, but paddle shifters in Detroit iron have yet to be DCT.

Sponsored

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I'm willing to bet the "base" GT350R, IE without the tech package, will have a hyper limited radio setup, ala Z28. Base radio and 1-3 speakers.
They said there would be NO speakers or radio in GT350R, so likely no tech package. You could by a CB !

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Okay, fire away, I'm gonna take a few gut punches for the following comment, but why no performance automatic for the halo Mustang? With a good 7-8 speed torque converter trans (like the new Corvette), or a dual-clutch trans, this will smoke the M4, Corvette, and possibly the 911 (especially if those weight numbers have any truth to them).

Manual transmissions are for fun, not speed. I have manuals, and I love them too, but for a car to be the fastest it can, it must have an automatic nowadays.

Even with the manual, I do love this car! Good job Ford!:ford:

I'm OK with the new Ford GT Supercar getting a DCT because it's going up against some serious heavy-hitters that the Mustang just isn't meant to compete with(R8, 458, Z06, etc). I'm very happy that the Mustang continues to reward drivers with a visceral driving experience that only a manual transmission offers.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Well that new Ford GT better have a PDK/DCT equivalent because that's the arena it'll be playing in. It should be an option for the GT350's as well because in every other respect Ford has stepped up big time.

OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Uuuuuugh what color blue is that?!

I kinda dig it..
what color is that blue? its not DIB is it?
Finally a color I actually like! Looks like it's going to be offered on just about every vehicle too. The GT, Raptor, and GT350R were all painted the same plus I saw on one video that they had a Focus ST and Fiesta ST painted the same color. Looks like maybe Guardsman Blue or something? I was hoping they'd bring back Grabber Blue, but this'll do just fine.
It's called "Liquid Blue" - not a current production color. I agree it is very nice.

Ford has put it on all of the show vehicles here and Steve Ling tells us that if feedback is good, they will offer it. So if you like it, let Ford hear it.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
:ford:
Performance_Widget_Wired_604x390_v01.jpg

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
;)
file.jpg

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
I've been looking for a blue that checks all the boxes for years. I really hope this becomes a factory offering

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I've been looking for a blue that checks all the boxes for years. I really hope this becomes a factory offering
+1. So tired of those "blurple" blues that have recently been the rage. This is very close to the stunning Topaz Blue BWM offers on some of its cars.

petrolpoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, 1968 Shelby GT350 "tribute" (Coyote powered)
I really hope the GT350 gets that blue. If not I guess the gray will do.
Sponsored