Sponsored

Official: Ford Reveals the Shelby GT350R Mustang!

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Okay, fire away, I'm gonna take a few gut punches for the following comment, but why no performance automatic for the halo Mustang? With a good 7-8 speed torque converter trans (like the new Corvette), or a dual-clutch trans, this will smoke the M4, Corvette, and possibly the 911 (especially if those weight numbers have any truth to them).

Manual transmissions are for fun, not speed. I have manuals, and I love them too, but for a car to be the fastest it can, it must have an automatic nowadays.

Even with the manual, I do love this car! Good job Ford!:ford:
You are thinking with a "straight line performance" mentality. In that case yes an auto would be faster. But this car is not and was never intended for straight line performance, so no an auto would not be faster around a circuit.
Sponsored

Rhumbline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 BMW M3
WOW, WOW, WOW...Ford has absolutely hit it out of the PARK!!

These guys are going for broke! CF wheels, that save 13lbs per wheel.
And just to think, a year ago Ford effectively didn't give a whit about unsprung weight, what with the massive lump of steel an iron, the live axle, flailing away in the stern. Ford's ditched the steel tipped boots for a pair of track shoes.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP
You are thinking with a "straight line performance" mentality. In that case yes an auto would be faster. But this car is not and was never intended for straight line performance, so no an auto would not be faster around a circuit.
Why do exoctic cars $100,000 price range (newer models, eg Bugatti, Ferrari, Lambor etc) come in auto with paddle shifters? No manual shift stick.

aguilar310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302 #1235
What was the cars Ford was bench-marking.

Z/28
Z06
911s ??

How closes do you think this car will get to a 911 GT3?

Dinosoar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinosoarmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT (Track Car Only); 2019 Jetta GLI
Vehicle Showcase
Beg to differ. Most premier road racing series that allow automatics, have automatics because they are faster. Also, I don't think it was Porsche's or Ferrari's thinking to drag race the 911 GT3 or the 458.

Manuals are never faster, drag or road racing, than a modern performance tuned automatic trans.

Sponsored

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Why do exoctic cars $100,000 price range (newer models, eg Bugatti, Ferrari, Lambor etc) come in auto with paddle shifters? No manual shift stick.
Simple, they don't. They have DCT, which is effectively a computer clutched/controlled manual transmission.

jonb347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby, 1993 Mod Fox, 1968 Stang
I'm willing to bet the "base" GT350R, IE without the tech package, will have a hyper limited radio setup, ala Z28. Base radio and 1-3 speakers.
actually it has no radio

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Sponsored

aguilar310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302 #1235
The truth is that paddle shifters usually have a double clutch (not always) which means faster shifting and less effort. The GM claims the new Z06 is faster with a 8-speed auto vs. a 7-speed manual.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
and Badging...

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Beg to differ. Most premier road racing series that allow automatics, have automatics because they are faster. Also, I don't think it was Porsche's or Ferrari's thinking to drag race the 911 GT3 or the 458.

Manuals are never faster, drag or road racing, than a modern performance tuned automatic trans.

You are confusing DCT's with automatics. For all practical purposes DCT's are automatic, but not in form. They are computer controlled clutched transmissions. Automatics with paddles that are as ford currently produces, as with all American auto manufacturers currently, are torque converter autos. Now they have come a long way with lock up technology and computers. But DCT's they aren't. They only try to mimic them.

opensesame

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Oxford Ecobeast with PP

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
where are you buying any of those for 100k
your not, and I didn't claim you could. I was telling opensesame that the cars he referenced weren't autos in the detroit since but DCT's.
Sponsored