Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
This part of the hood (arrows) is soo damn ugly and is proof of a lazy or just tasteless design team. Waiting for the aftermarket to provide a 600-1700 $$$ solution is unacceptable in my book.

The same could be said about the front fascia. The fact that it turns up a bit des not bother me too much but it does not line up with the bottom of the front fender line at the wheel opening, it is too high up at its start and just looks gross. The 15-17 has a turn up as well but not to the degree that the refresh does. [MENTION=30326]KrisHorton[/MENTION] rendering appears to have the front fascia extending down a little more and looks better then its real to life counterpart. (I've said this from way back when he first started 3d renderings on pro touring dot com: some car company needs to pay him to design things)

I may be able to change to a better looking front but I will not, without a lot of modification ever get the brow line of the headlight to line up with the body line like it does on the 15-17's. They used the top corner angle to line up with the body line and again it just looks like it was an after thought of design not a well thought out design.

The rear end looks great in my opinion though and I really wish they would have spent the same attention to detail on the front.

Overall I will say what I said before, it looks likes the junior varsity design team worked on this and were told on a Saturday they must incorporate these changes for a Monday manufacture start.

Some of the lovers may like these changes but some of us just don't.... Its not "hate" to not like the half ass refresh (actually nice ass ugly nose but I digress) its just what it is, love it or hate it.
ugly mustang 2.png
ugly mustang.png

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Some of the lovers may like these changes but some of us just don't.... Its not "hate" to not like the half
ass refresh (actually nice ass ugly nose but I digress) its just what it is, love it or hate it.
It's 87 all over again. Sure I would have loved that extra 25 HP, bigger
front brakes, slightly better trans internals back then.

But 30 years later, I'd still have one of the ugliest mustangs ever made,
instead of a highly unique, much better looking, "not a mustang", that I do.

Don't think the 18 is as bad as the aero fox was, but it's not going to grow on me.
In fact, when it starts getting old looking in 2021, it's only going to have it's basic
ugliness (again, talking jstu front end, rest is OK or really nice, like rearend), not
the fact that it is different (and more accepted just due to that fact right now)........

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
This part of the hood (arrows) is soo damn ugly and is proof of a lazy or just tasteless design team. Waiting for the aftermarket to provide a 600-1700 $$$ solution is unacceptable in my book.

The same could be said about the front fascia. The fact that it turns up a bit des not bother me too much but it does not line up with the bottom of the front fender line at the wheel opening, it is too high up at its start and just looks gross. The 15-17 has a turn up as well but not to the degree that the refresh does. [MENTION=30326]KrisHorton[/MENTION] rendering appears to have the front fascia extending down a little more and looks better then its real to life counterpart. (I've said this from way back when he first started 3d renderings on pro touring dot com: some car company needs to pay him to design things)

I may be able to change to a better looking front but I will not, without a lot of modification ever get the brow line of the headlight to line up with the body line like it does on the 15-17's. They used the top corner angle to line up with the body line and again it just looks like it was an after thought of design not a well thought out design.

The rear end looks great in my opinion though and I really wish they would have spent the same attention to detail on the front.

Overall I will say what I said before, it looks likes the junior varsity design team worked on this and were told on a Saturday they must incorporate these changes for a Monday manufacture start.

Some of the lovers may like these changes but some of us just don't.... Its not "hate" to not like the half ass refresh (actually nice ass ugly nose but I digress) its just what it is, love it or hate it.
And again, why the fu#% didn't they simply take the GT350 and soften it slightly is beyond me.

It's 87 all over again. Sure I would have loved that extra 25 HP, bigger
front brakes, slightly better trans internals back then.

But 30 years later, I'd still have one of the ugliest mustangs ever made,
instead of a highly unique, much better looking, "not a mustang", that I do.

Don't think the 18 is as bad as the aero fox was, but it's not going to grow on me.
In fact, when it starts getting old looking in 2021, it's only going to have it's basic
ugliness (again, talking jstu front end, rest is OK or really nice, like rearend), not
the fact that it is different (and more accepted just due to that fact right now)........
You aren't helping your cause, as most people agree that the 87-93 foxbodies were far...far better looking (both inside and out) than their 4-eye brethren. I had money offers every time I stopped at a gas station for my 89 notchback. Hell, IMHO...the "Cat Eye" parking lights is what triggered all of the aesthetic driving lights you see now.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)

The same could be said about the front fascia. The fact that it turns up a bit des not bother me too much but it does not line up with the bottom of the front fender line at the wheel opening, it is too high up at its start and just looks gross. The 15-17 has a turn up as well but not to the degree that the refresh does. @KrisHorton rendering appears to have the front fascia extending down a little more and looks better then its real to life counterpart. (I've said this from way back when he first started 3d renderings on pro touring dot com: some car company needs to pay him to design things)

But there are also lines which are definitely fitting a lot better than before. The inner lines of the hood vents now match the lines on the Roof, while the powerdomes and rooflines were going nowhere before. Also the line on the hood now takes a hard curve on the windowside, but flows perfectly through the fangs on the grille and end in the lower grille. And the side of the upper grilles matched the Little bulges above the spliiter.

The triangular shape in the lower bumper is not really matching the lines, but the dated-looking plastic foglight housings looked out of place too.

We also have to have in mind that some changes could be technical improvements. Like the triangulars will get better brake cooling or the new hood helps getting rid off the hood shaking at high speed. We already heard from Carl Widmann that hood vents and headlights were modified with european laws in mind, that they finally can offer tribar DRL and hood vents in europe.

Sponsored

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
IMO, the front end would look better with a different hood. The vents not only look kinda lame, but they're set way too wide for the size that they are. It looks better with stripes.

The problem I have with the front end is that it reminds me of the Prius for two reasons: First, the triangular portions at the corners of the lower fascia, and second, the bottom part of the fascia between the triangular sections that is recessed.
2017_toyota_prius_LIFE1_ot_927177_1280.jpg

Mustang-i-3ub9.jpg

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Some pics of the 2018 make me think "okay, that looks really good", like
this one:

lightning-blue-white-stripe-2018-mustang.jpg

But then I see another pic and think "oh man, that looks horrible", like this one:

2018-mustang-gt-performance-pack-lightning-blue.jpg

Both real world pics (not marketing shots), both same color. But that second shot makes the front end look squished, like something really heavy fell on it from above. I think in a lot of the shots that look good, there is a substantial shadow under the front that sort of fills in the space below it and makes it look less squished and more substantial. Take away that shadow as in the second shot, and the front end looks too narrow and compressed compared to the rest of the car.

The second shot is from a lower perspective, as if sitting in another car as the Mustang goes by. The standing perspective, as in the first shot, is much better for this car. Every pic I've seen of the '18 from waist level or lower looks horrible, and the standing 3/4 perspective looks really good. It's amazing the difference. I was hoping to order one as soon as the order banks open, but I think I really need to see one in person. Problem with that is if I don't like it, I can no longer order a 2017, and I doubt what I want will be left on the lots.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I just finished another render of the widebody '18 I designed and thought I'd post it up. I know it's pretty out there, but thought some of you guys might dig it. I'll have to do some renders of a stock-bodied one too! Any color requests?
This is awesome man.:headbang::thumbsup:

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
But there are also lines which are definitely fitting a lot better than before. The inner lines of the hood vents now match the lines on the Roof, while the powerdomes and rooflines were going nowhere before.
Right we traded one bad line for another... Not what we should see in a refresh and what many of us expected to be, well updated, but without the crummy blahness of what we got.

Also the line on the hood now takes a hard curve on the windowside, but flows perfectly through the fangs on the grille and end in the lower grille.

Meh, the hard curve upsets the whole look. Again a trade off. This could still have been accomplished in a more astatically pleasing way....Leave it to the aftermarket I guess, yet I revert back to my belief that this is just unacceptable.

And the side of the upper grilles matched the Little bulges above the spliiter.

That line still flows well on the 15-17's so I don't see this as even a problem that needed fixing.

The triangular shape in the lower bumper is not really matching the lines, but the dated-looking plastic foglight housings looked out of place too.

Love it or hate it type of thing... I get it. Not saying the 15-17 is the best solution but the refresh is not even close to being where I would expect it to be for a refresh )read update)

We also have to have in mind that some changes could be technical improvements.Like the triangulars will get better brake cooling or the new hood helps getting rid off the hood shaking at high speed.

hoping your right but it's conjecture at best. Last I read it was to look like Darth Vader! LOL

We already heard from Carl Widmann that hood vents and headlights were modified with european laws in mind, that they finally can offer tribar DRL and hood vents in europe.

And add the hoodline for better ratings from Euro safety ratings... This is what I am referring to when I said the JV team was told to incorporate this stuff into a change. But the manner in which they did it just falls short of what those of us who don't like it, expected.

Last edited:

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Wow, you said exactly what I'm thinking. I, too, have a '14 GT and did not like enough of the '15-'17's to buy one and think the '18 fixes what was wrong on the S550's. I even leased a '16 Challenger to tide me over for a few years to see what the '18+ Mustangs would bring. I'm keeping my '14 GT forever (street/strip car) while the '16 Challenger (then '18+ Mustang) are the daily drivers. Here's hoping for a '19 Mach 1 for drag strip aspirations!
My sentiments exactly (except I'm coming from a 2011 Mustang GT). Of course, I've never been a part of the camp that feels the 2015-17 Mustang's front end is the absolute pinnacle of automotive design perfection and any deviation is sacrilege. Joking aside, like you, I feel the 2018 Mustang fixes most of the issues I had with the 2015-17 non-GT350 Mustangs.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
....Here are some other reasonably priced sports cars that make our Mustang look like a prince among frogs...
.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F04%2Fbest-cheap-sports-cars-2017-the-drive-ford-chevy-subaru-mazda.jpg
You seriously included the Miata RF in this list? If you think that car is ugly, please be aware that your sense of aesthetic taste is at odds with the rest of humanity.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

I don't know; Ford kinda did the same thing with the current Shelby GT350, no? I'll admit that it is slightly better-integrated than the non-Shelby 2018 variants, though, but the execution is similar to my eyes.
IMG_8874.JPG

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I don't know; Ford kinda did the same thing with the current Shelby GT350, no? I'll admit that it is slightly better-integrated than the non-Shelby 2018 variants, though, but the execution is similar to my eyes.

yeah they totally did but on the GT350 they pulled it off in a manner that looks good, that is what I would have expected from a refresh, wouldn't you? It just looks horrible to my eyes and of all the things I don't like about the 18 I just cant get passed that bit.

When I saw the 18 in person my eye was drawn to that part of the car and I it is just a strong line it messes the flow up and disturbs the lines on the car IMO. Once I saw it I noticed it more and more and hated the car more and more LOL!!!!! The GT350 its really easy to not even notice it just seems much more refined I guess on that car.

PeterPerfect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z3 2.8
You seriously included the Miata RF in this list? If you think that car is ugly, please be aware that your sense of aesthetic taste is at odds with the rest of humanity.
The front face of the Mazda, despite having the same triangular design as the 18 Mustang, just looks thick, like a pokamon character.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
No...it's not. That is ugly to me as well.
Sponsored